Why do my windows look like THIS, during the Humid Season in Thailand?

GammaGlobulin

Dear Folks,

First, we had the Hot Season.

And now, we are entering a different Season.

Neither is very good, as you can plainly imagine.

For one thing, all this condensation on my windows is beginning to bug me, Big Time.

AP1GczNZo0dee7a7mMcAl0sLQ-zbAMCsWP25gIWGvUqkQitK5Xno2T78IxX76Xs7QxSZhCFQov_F3MfWeR8gzTrjpzO1YwuAxsu1Psm9PBvTPgh_pqLtkcaD5pnl4Ot6OofL2Ajhi1_aKD3bcWOpl_8ij-QojroP0IX7-iUEjesvwlegRDjOeIWADF-QpuEDX2nDFuTN5r1WvR--7tGFGGsVKnnvRF6vpe9X31_RCQOhvXi8I5SLiHUI1ii5fUd6R0xS5WcrgKJRwVcr_WzR4ewcqKaWgzR35R80vqeNnwXvF_deq5B0Vctv176pOGAiaYXSpupp7syCoztL_9V3DvFcwTh1he45ElK9o6yNJ9ueH7lNl7kR7GWrRJodcdBbSwkVR7B_00ejR-alW-zfNbuJYvGu2zOTLwVWSaO_lhXj-cuQ2qhbxz_omJYaL_A2i6e669pxqnrYE1vz9ollaVyhKNIem3ncIsMhEkjyEjskaWbtoE0wOfnCHLrA64629cMqurSKcEPm2TaAyMxGbifMGtl6XwoR0TOlyIZKoe3Y3ojgtaxI8NBOrVE_E0M7ZiaeonUuOuPS89SEbmSa_j5Olnapt7N0lXVvMBIPM9PNOdgEPg3WkCfBR2dmWw9ePL2XgfUVNICthW_6yRnuJ3gLAEYwcTYdFw_7jCvSmITcfllDObOCCTjzYnuNf1Phe6DHFkenjB-oHXgxISDU8h93bD2kkMOwy2wA-HjlUmALyrDXGuvi-uyE6lR-H7i2j808Ty2wGcgtZVylRyIy1L9SDAy_5L_3BhXL_DdjpVDFp-lsK0_zij82ZKcmKv5KHIQklqMxC01q99gSTQNbeyjoGnvanJ1xLxYU1hlbYCro2D9tw5I_yKGdAM3RKt3MwIqfzh7z33PSDP8c4unMc5R8jqoEgOJMpLaIfEMMZ98WwrSoYv_ZfhHNFcEKq40ppG1UTnQ6VS_KroFDBB-ty4wkKF1qNsi5PFYc-20=w1765-h993-s-no-gm?authuser=0

In fact, I can hardly even see out, outside, these days.

Must I turn off my ACs?

Or, is there any way to keep my windows from getting like this, while keeping myself cool inside, and the humidity outside, at bay?

Living in Thailand with such high heat one month, and such rain the next month, and then humidity all the time, which causes the outsides of my windows to fog up like an ice-cold beer glass....

I had never had this happen to me in the past.

What can be done, if anything?

Not sure how much longer I can stand it, being inside this cool box, but not being able to see out.

Sort of like living in Taipei during the winter, which I never, ever, liked.

Of course, when the sun comes out, then all this condensation evaporates rather quickly.

But, during the night and early mornings, and in the evenings, there is no sun.

What about installing windows with those heating elements that Volvo used to advertise?

image.png.84154f972a67309c70d7b9d703875788.png

Or, do I need to just put in thermoglass, or something?

If I could heat up the glass, then the condensation would not occur.

Just thinking out loud.

Because, I really cannot believe that most homeowners could tolerate all this condensation, every day, and much of the day, for many months.

Does this happen to you, too?

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  Quite annoying when one's windows get like this, and stay like this, for 80-percent of the 24-hours of the day, and that's all I can say.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Is the condensation outside or inside ?

OUTSIDE....of course!

Humidity inside is very low, approx 50 percent.

Temperature inside is 22 degrees, or lower.

Humidity outside is high.

Temperature outside is high...of course...since this IS Thailand, as you know.

Note:  Photo image attached in the OP was captured this morning from one of my windows.  All windows/glass-doors look about the same.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OUTSIDE....of course!

Note:  Photo image attached in the OP was captured this morning from one of my windows.  All windows/glass-doors look about the same.

Buy a hair dryer. 

16 minutes ago, marin said:

Seems you have a very small apartment you like to keep very cool with no outside ventilation at all. I have lived here 35 years and never experienced this.  In fact I have never heard of this occurring here. 

No.

Not small.

I have 3 ACs.

Total BTU cooling....

70,000 BTU at max.

I do not care whether or not you have ever heard of anything....actually.

I just posted a photo of one of my windows.

Hopefully, you can believe your eyes.

(Sorry.  Seems that the photo I uploaded no longer exists.  I will try to post again. Not my fault, though....)

Here is the image..image.thumb.jpeg.39dcd7167a813dbfc0ef02bbee77f769.jpeg

Can you see this?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That would not work you need hot air, or fit windscreen wipers. Try using car wax on them, or one of these products.

92482_1_1445x.thumb.webp.d8da4f1f6aeede65dee077f274008da2.webp

Right.

If I installed windscreen wipers on the windows and glass doors of my house....then.....

My neighbors would ask me to leave.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OUTSIDE....of course!

My Bold

Here's your problem. Cold glass is going to cause condensation to form.

How to fix?

Double-glazing (possibly secondary glazing just on windows most critical).

Get rid of your pet Polar Bear and run the A/C rather less chilly.

EDIT The following is advice to stop condensation on your bathroom mirror, could work for the windows. 

Take a bit of shaving cream on your finger and spread it over the surface of your bathroom mirror. (You can spray shaving foam directly onto the mirror surface). Wipe clean with a soft towel or microfiber cloth. This simple trick acts as an effective barrier against steam settling on the mirror surface.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, marin said:

Seems you have a very small apartment you like to keep very cool with no outside ventilation at all. I have lived here 35 years and never experienced this.  In fact I have never heard of this occurring here. 

Ive only been here for 18yrs... the windows in my 3 bed house get condensation on the outside when Ive all (5 units total) the aircons running, typically in the mornings around 6am it is noticable.

Edited by Ralf001

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My Bold

Here's your problem. Cold glass is going to cause condensation to form.

How to fix?

Double-glazing (possibly secondary glazing just on windows most critical).

Get rid of your pet Polar Bear and run the A/C rather less chilly.

EDIT The following is advice to stop condensation on your bathroom mirror, could work for the windows. 

Take a bit of shaving cream on your finger and spread it over the surface of your bathroom mirror. (You can spray shaving foam directly onto the mirror surface). Wipe clean with a soft towel or microfiber cloth. This simple trick acts as an effective barrier against steam settling on the mirror surface.

Concerning Choice of Ambient Temps in my rooms:

We must follow this good advice....

image.png.f1bee746b3d71d4cc420567e0716b46b.png

image.png.58178fdda20c8622378f58556c614245.png

I follow this advice....

To the letter!

NOTE:  I have found that 20 degrees C most suits my intellectual work.  And, I assume it's the same for you.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive only been here for 18yrs... the windows in my 3 bed house get condensation on the outside when Ive all (5 units total) the aircons running, typically in the mornings around 6am it is noticable.

I would guess that you would then turn off some of the air con units and open a few windows to let in the cool air and the problem would be solved?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, marin said:

I would guess that you would then turn off some of the air con units and open a few windows to let in the cool air and the problem would be solved?

It is not something I consider to be a problem so... yeah, nah.. windows will not be opened.

Edited by Ralf001

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The condensation here begins 3 hours before sundown, and lasts until a few hours after sunrise.

Note:  I try to get my rooms down to about 18 degrees C, or lower, before I go to sleep.  I am following my doctor's orders, in this case.

Note2:  In truth, too few of us take the trouble to lower the ambient temperature in our bedroom, before we go to sleep.  And then, for some strange reason, we wonder why we sometimes do not sleep well.

Note3:  I have many Chinese friends.  And, one of my Chinese friends has told me that when he is willing to spend the money to lower his bedroom temperature to 18 or below, then he sleeps wonderfully, just as he once did before he left the mountains in the province of Sichuan.  Ever since he mentioned this to me, I have tried to keep my bedroom temp at about 19 degrees C.  However, I plan to go even lower in the near future!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

NOTE:  I have found that 20 degrees C most suits my intellectual work.  And, I assume it's the same for you.

Just remember that to assume makes an ass out of u and  me :whistling:

We have our bedroom A/C set to 26C, 24C and I start to feel cold (Madam would already be rolled up in the duvet).

For a working environment I have my office at about 24C, but for normal operations like now I'm just sat in the ambient air, in the shade with a fan. And no, the sweat isn't pouring off me and trying to emulate your windows.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Just remember that to assume makes an ass out of u and  me :whistling:

We have our bedroom A/C set to 26C, 24C and I start to feel cold (Madam would already be rolled up in the duvet).

For a working environment I have my office at about 24C, but for normal operations like now I'm just sat in the ambient air, in the shade with a fan. And no, the sweat isn't pouring off me and trying to emulate your windows.

So then.

Why do you think I have been celibate for the past many years?

Most girls are unable to fully appreciate 18-degree sleeping weather.

Why doctors say 18 degrees is the best for sleeping, I really cannot say.

However, for sure, for writing on TV, 20 degrees C seems best for me.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The condensation here begins 3 hours before sundown, and lasts until a few hours after sunrise.

Note:  I try to get my rooms down to about 18 degrees C, or lower, before I go to sleep.  I am following my doctor's orders, in this case.

Note2:  In truth, too few of us take the trouble to lower the ambient temperature in our bedroom, before we go to sleep.  And then, for some strange reason, we wonder why we sometimes do not sleep well.

Note3:  I have many Chinese friends.  And, one of my Chinese friends has told me that when he is willing to spend the money to lower his bedroom temperature to 18 or below, then he sleeps wonderfully, just as he once did before he left the mountains in the province of Sichuan.  Ever since he mentioned this to me, I have tried to keep my bedroom temp at about 19 degrees C.  However, I plan to go even lower in the near future!

Yeah 22 is my sweet spot.

I run my aircon at 28 C. It removes the moisture just as well as 22 C.

The physics of sweating say humans are quite comfortable at 40 C, provided the humidity is 10 - 20% RH. Anyone who has been in Australia's Great Sandy Desert knows this. The cooling effect is maximized, as sweat evaporates as soon as it forms on one's skin.

Of course, the OP could also limit condensation by not breathing so heavily, when he is posting about perfect women.

• Haha 2

Rather than discussing individual lifestyle (temperature) choices why don't we get back on-topic?

Which was: - "Why do my windows look like THIS, during the Humid Season in Thailand?"

Our OP now knows why, so now he needs a solution.

I have never seen window condensation in my house. I operate a 'closed house', so doors and windows are closed unless doors are being used to entry/exit.  A third of the house is aircon 24/7. Inside temperature ranges between circ 23 degrees in the aircon bit and 28 in the none aircon bit.  There is no kitchen in the main house, that is in a separate building, although we do microwave and brew coffee in the main house. 

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Rather than discussing individual lifestyle (temperature) choices why don't we get back on-topic?

Which was: - "Why do my windows look like THIS, during the Humid Season in Thailand?"

Our OP now knows why, so now he needs a solution.

IIRC that was covered by double glazing.