Is there a way to get money back if sent online to someone who scammed you?

timoti

Hi, 

Basically I was looking for an item on Facebook marketplace and this guy sent me his ID and the bank account holder's name matched it. So I thought he can't scam using a real bank account but I guess he can. 

So after sending him the cost of the item which is about 5k THB, he didn't reply and next day he said don't go to police coz he can sue me etc and blocked. I still have chat records so with those translated to Thai, I went to my bank first, got a case id and then the police and then show that paper to both my bank and the receiver bank which is CIMB. I had to go to Si Racha for this and the bank said that's why scammers use because they are hard to reach. 

So now it says on the police report I have to go to the station after a week at certain time. 

Is there any chance to get this transaction reversed? The bank said the police has to request it. Or do I have to go to court for this also? 

Thanks a lot in advance

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, timoti said:

Hi, 

Basically I was looking for an item on Facebook marketplace and this guy sent me his ID and the bank account holder's name matched it. So I thought he can't scam using a real bank account but I guess he can. 

So after sending him the cost of the item which is about 5k THB, he didn't reply and next day he said don't go to police coz he can sue me etc and blocked. I still have chat records so with those translated to Thai, I went to my bank first, got a case id and then the police and then show that paper to both my bank and the receiver bank which is CIMB. I had to go to Si Racha for this and the bank said that's why scammers use because they are hard to reach. 

So now it says on the police report I have to go to the station after a week at certain time. 

Is there any chance to get this transaction reversed? The bank said the police has to request it. Or do I have to go to court for this also? 

Thanks a lot in advance

Travel back in time to the moment just before you pressed the button.....absent that ability then you might well be hosed.  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, timoti said:

Hi, 

Thanks a lot in advance

It wasn't for protein or supplements was it.

23 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Go to police and make a report.

Take that letter to the bank.

The bank will freeze the other person's account. (Maybe even reverse the charge.)

I did that but my bank said I have to ask the other bank and I went there too the same day with the report they said it will take 20 business days and only police can request this or sue the person or something like that.

the last time i bought on facebook i asked for cash on delivery.  the seller said he knew nothing about it, but he spoke to the courier, and they said they could offer it for 150 baht, which i offered to pay. 

transaction ended up being smooth and the item was a bargain 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, renaissanc said:

I expect that everyone here will say that it's hopeless. But it's not. The Police will be able to trace the scammer on Facebook. Everyone there has a digital footprint. Also, it's not a Call Center scam, which would be harder.

I encourage you to pursue the matter. Maybe the Police will need some tea money to encourage them to help you. I don't know. But don't give up!

As for buying anything on Facebook, it's too risky and Facebook is dripping with scammers. I only use Lazada or a company's main website to buy something.

Maybe a computer crime?

14 hours ago, renaissanc said:

I expect that everyone here will say that it's hopeless. But it's not. The Police will be able to trace the scammer on Facebook. Everyone there has a digital footprint. Also, it's not a Call Center scam, which would be harder.

I encourage you to pursue the matter. Maybe the Police will need some tea money to encourage them to help you. I don't know. But don't give up!

As for buying anything on Facebook, it's too risky and Facebook is dripping with scammers. I only use Lazada or a company's main website to buy something.

Maybe a computer crime?