New rules for buying a motorcycle?

anyone

I was going to buy a small Honda scooter today with cash, but I couldn't.

Dealers require this list of documents

1. Visa
2. Work Permit (I'm a parasite and therefore I don't have a work permit)
3. Сonfirmation of residential address from the embassy (My pink card and driver's license already have the address confirmed but they want it a third time)
4. Motorcycle driver's license
5. Especially smart ones even requested fingerprints from the local office (amphur)

Because of these two nasty points I was never able to buy anything even though I had cash...

It seems to me that a few years ago everything was much simpler?..

• Confused 2

I think they don't like the cash part; they want to sell you finance and get a commission on that one.

I bought two new bikes in the last ten years or so. I think I was always asked for 1 and 2, never for 3 to 5.

I would be surprised if you need a work permit to buy it. But I think you need a work permit (or maybe other options) to register it in your name.

• Confused 3

Stupid dealer.

Seems uninterested.

Driving license is utter nonsense.

You can buy in your name and let your partner drive.

Go next door.

Bought a new car recently.

Passport with visa/extension.

Yellow book/pink card.

Buying on finance denied. No surprise.

Paid by bank transfer from the mobile.

Where was that BTW?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Stupid dealer.

Seems uninterested.

Driving license is utter nonsense.

You can buy in your name and let your partner drive.

Go next door.

Bought a new car recently.

Passport with visa/extension.

Yellow book/pink card.

Where was that BTW?

Bangkok outskirts, I went through several dealers, they all say the same thing, apparently they are sent instructions from the top office...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

So the pink ID yellow book is no use, still need a residence certificate, i thought that was one of the benefits they kept banging on about

It is one of the benifits... and has nothing to do with the dealership.

When I have purchased vehicles (Cars and Motorcycles) the dealer has asked for a work permit... No have.

The dealer has then asked for proof of address... No have... 

I then tell them I will deal with the registration process myself - thats my business as I don't want to wait for them, I also want to have the option to chose my own number. 

In short - a dealer asking for proof of anything, other than payment (deposit - then full balance when picking up the vehicle) is overstepping the bounds of making a purchase. 

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

For the dealer to get the plate and greenbook for you they need all that. Other than fingerprints and work permit, as long as you have a valid visa you can get it. 

Go to another dealer. 

Thats why they ask for the proof of address / work permit documents etc...  But realistically, thats not need as you can easily register the vehicle yourself if you so wish - you'll then need those documents. 

I'll go through your list below in the next comment.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, anyone said:

Bangkok outskirts, I went through several dealers, they all say the same thing, apparently they are sent instructions from the top office...

'Top office' - that implies one Brand (i.e. Honda or Yamaha etc)...   have you tried other brands, or other dealerships under different ownership ? (dealerships here operate like franchises, and a d!ck higher up may enjoy being a little neurotic and making things difficult). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only, relevant to the dealership IF they are going to register your vehicle for you (most do).

If registering yourself, then this information is irrelevant to the dealership.

Whats the logic asking for WP. Is this actually the dealer or the dept of cars asking for this? Its so stupid

Yes, self-registration would be a solution, thank you @richard_smith237.

But where is the guarantee that they will not ask for the same documents - such as a work permit or proof of address from the embassy...

https://www.35yontrakan.com/posts/how-to-register-motorcycle-license-plate-online-in-thailand

There is online registration process, but you must have ThaID app (pink cards do not have a QR code that needs to be scanned).

Can you recommend any easy way to register a motorcycle yourself? 🧑‍✈️ (dealers charge 2,000 baht for it)

Edited by anyone

5 hours ago, anyone said:

Yes, self-registration would be a solution, thank you @richard_smith237.

But where is the guarantee that they will not ask for the same documents - such as a work permit or proof of address from the embassy...

https://www.35yontrakan.com/posts/how-to-register-motorcycle-license-plate-online-in-thailand

There is online registration process, but you must have ThaID app (pink cards do not have a QR code that needs to be scanned).

Can you recommend any easy way to register a motorcycle yourself? 🧑‍✈️ (dealers charge 2,000 baht for it)

By going to the DLT & doing it yourself.

You’ll still need one of…

A) Certificate Of Address (from immigration)

B) Affirmation Of Address (from Embassy)

C) Work Permit (only if it contains your address)

D) Yellow House Book (registered to you)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

By going to the DLT & doing it yourself.

You’ll still need one of…

A) Certificate Of Address (from immigration)

B) Affirmation Of Address (from Embassy)

C) Work Permit (only if it contains your address)

D) Yellow House Book (registered to you)

A & B are on my pink card and driving license.

If you still need to confirm the address, it doesn’t matter where to go - directly to the dealer or to the DLT.

15 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

For the dealer to get the plate and greenbook for you they need all that. Other than fingerprints and work permit, as long as you have a valid visa you can get it. 

Go to another dealer. 

What visas are valid visas?  What about a tourist visa?

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats why they ask for the proof of address / work permit documents etc...  But realistically, thats not need as you can easily register the vehicle yourself if you so wish - you'll then need those documents.

A dealer isn't going to let you take the bike out of the showroom without the paper work being put in for it to be registered - they would be nuts to just let you walk out without the registration process started. 

Edited by PremiumLane

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

What visas are valid visas?  What about a tourist visa?

If it is valid, yes. but for that you will need to get proof of address from immigration.  But, some dealers might say no to the tourist visa and not sell you the bike.  Best to go to a dealer in an area that is used to dealing with foreigners. 

6 hours ago, anyone said:

In the end I bought it after showing the yellow book. That's the end of the story 😏

How can it be the end of the story? 

You said above that you couldn't buy it. 

On 6/25/2024 at 5:49 PM, anyone said:

I was going to buy a small Honda scooter today with cash, but I couldn't

Why did you change your story? 

Did you buy it or not? 

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

How can it be the end of the story? 

You said above that you couldn't buy it. 

Why did you change your story? 

Did you buy it or not? 

what you getting excited about.....

No, it isn't, it is very easy - passport, visa, proof of address - you register the bike. Like any other country 

Mr Thailand here says it's a doddle.........