Julian Assange: Free-Speech Crusader or Threat to the West?

Social Media

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

The Snowden case is different 

and then he defected to Russia. 

Last I saw of him on a web broadcast he still had that disgusting carbuncle on his neck

Don’t they have dermatologists in Moscow?

IMG_4468.jpeg

He had little choice in the matter. The US were ready to (and did) force the airplanes down just on a suspicion he was onboard. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

How can he possibly be a traitor to the USA if he's Australian?

He's not a "traitor"; he's a "trader." He traded the publication of information designated as Top Secret by the US for money - and eventually seven years in prison and a felony conviction. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

HeroSame with Snowden. Both should be applauded and honored

I agree.

Next close up for ever The Guantanamo Bay detention camp. An other shameful thing.

They closed one in Lithuania where they had tortured Iraq war prisoneers in secrecy.

Edited by GypsyT
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:
22 hours ago, WDSmart said:

He's not a "traitor"; he's a "trader." He traded the publication of information designated as Top Secret by the US for money 

Can you provide a link for that claim, please? Genuine request.

Edited 21 hours ago by GroveHillWanderer

What did Julian Assange do? WikiLeaks' most significant document dumps (msn.com)

• Like 1

I feel curious about this whole saga. Maybe someone knows more than I. Regarding the US diplomatic cables, the whistleblower never disclosed information to the public directly but to Wikileaks, a whistleblower outlet. Wikileaks is Australian (I think) so the whistleblower might have been accused of treason if the information went to an enemy country. Australia is not an enemy so treason was off the table but espionage laws were employed.

Wikileaks then gave their information to newspapers like The Guardian, The New York Times, and Der Spiegel, and didn't actually release anything to the public directly. The public had never even heard of Wikileaks.

Those newspapers were never charged with anything. Yes, Wikileaks provided the information given them by a whistleblower but the decision to publish was made by the media involved. They, or their editors, were never charged.

For some reason, Daniel Ellsberg was not charged with anything in 1971 for his release of the damaging Pentagon Papers. Mark Felt provided information on the Watergate scandal in 2005 to Woodward and Bernstein and neither he nor they were ever charged with anything.

Why was only Assange charged and not Wikileaks as an organization and the other media who did the actual publishing?

13 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There's nothing I can see in that article that says Assange was paid money in exchange for leaking US documents. 

Can you point it out to me?

"In October 2017, Julian Assange said WikiLeaks had made a 50,000% return on Bitcoin. By that December, it had raised at least $25 million in Bitcoin. WikiLeaks - Wikipedia

10 hours ago, WDSmart said:

"In October 2017, Julian Assange said WikiLeaks had made a 50,000% return on Bitcoin. By that December, it had raised at least $25 million in Bitcoin. WikiLeaks - Wikipedia

That says WikiLeaks had made money on Bitcoin (and had raised money in Bitcoin). Again, it does not constitute evidence that he was given money in exchange for US secret documents.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer