Experience with Bangkok Phuket Hospital Orthopedic Surgery?

Ebumbu

Hi. I've been delaying major hip surgery in Bangkok for a long time due to other health issues getting in the way. Does anyone here have experience getting orthopedic surgery at Bangkok Phuket hospital? How did it go? I think I'll need to have it done here in Phuket (rather than Bangkok), so I'm kind of looking for words of reassurance. Thanks! 

The hospital is not important. The surgeon is.

You will not find the same levels of expertise and experience here as can be found in Bangkok and costs will likely be more.

Have it done in Bsngkok is my recommendation.  250k package at MedPark  for hip replacement (if that's what you need)  and the highly recommended Prof. Aree has hours there  

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en-US/doctors/prof-dr-aree-tanavalee

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The hospital is not important. The surgeon is.

You will not find the same levels of expertise and experience here as can be found in Bangkok and costs will likely be more.

Have it done in Bsngkok is my recommendation.

Very true. I wouldn't do this in Phuket. 

BTW 250k is a very reasonable price.

Physical therapy after the operation is just as important as the operation itself.  Most PT departments in Bangkok are not good. 

Good ones are at St Louis (about 1000 B) and Bumrungrad (double the price).

I know more useless ones,  suffice it to say some are in very renowned hospitals. 

I had a cyst develop on the femoral head and a labral tear that required arthroscopic surgery.

The docs in phuket said only a few surgeons in Thailand can do hip arthroscopy and sent me to Dr. Winyou in samitevej srinakarin.

I had quotes from Bumrungrad and Samitevej and they were basically the same.

I documented the experience online. Let me know if you want a link. It was generally positive but not perfect. Particularly the post surgery rehab plan etc. You want to make sure that is clear.

In my case the Phuket and Samitevej Doctors were buddies. Narong and Winyou and another in Phuket whom I forget the name but have in my records. Winyou is quite well known as an ajarn and lecturer amongst other hip surgeons in Thailand.

I think he was also medical director at Bumrungrad previously or something.

So I did intial consultations in Phuket followed by video conslatation with Winyou. Followed by succesful surgery at Samitevej and post surgery follow ups in Phuket.

You don't mention the issue so I can't comment specifically but I would opt for Bangkok if I were you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

I documented the experience online. Let me know if you want a link. It was generally positive but not perfect. Particularly the post surgery rehab plan etc. You want to make sure that is clear.

Yes, please. I'd like as much data as possible. This is a major decision. If you have time to discuss in DM, would appreciate it. 

16 hours ago, Lorry said:

Very true. I wouldn't do this in Phuket. 

BTW 250k is a very reasonable price.

Physical therapy after the operation is just as important as the operation itself.  Most PT departments in Bangkok are not good. 

Good ones are at St Louis (about 1000 B) and Bumrungrad (double the price).

I know more useless ones,  suffice it to say some are in very renowned hospitals. 

Just to say that I can confirm your "double the price" comment about Bumrungrad Hospital Bangkok and the thumbs up for their physiotherapy department. I have had both hips replaced at Bumrungrad, the 1st 4 years ago and the second 2 years later. The cost both times was about 600,000 baht.

That said, I was very pleased with the results and their physiotherapy department is first class. The Bumrunrad experience is like staying in a 5 star hotel. I was walking with a frame during the 4 day recovery period in-hospital the day after the op and with a stick 2 or 3 days later. I was walking unaided within a couple of weeks of the op. I have had no pains or walking difficulties since

The surgeon was Dr Charlee Summatavanich who told me back then that, in addition to the high number of such operations he had successfully carried out, he was the chairman of the Thai-wide surgeons' group that conducts such operations. 

40 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Just to say that I can confirm your "double the price" comment about Bumrungrad Hospital .....

Got the dates wrong and cannot edit. First hip replacement was in August 2022 and second was in September 2023. Also the price both times was close to 650,000 baht.

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

Just to say that I can confirm your "double the price" comment about Bumrungrad Hospital Bangkok and the thumbs up for their physiotherapy department. I have had both hips replaced at Bumrungrad, the 1st 4 years ago and the second 2 years later. The cost both times was about 600,000 baht.

That said, I was very pleased with the results and their physiotherapy department is first class. The Bumrunrad experience is like staying in a 5 star hotel. I was walking with a frame during the 4 day recovery period in-hospital the day after the op and with a stick 2 or 3 days later. I was walking unaided within a couple of weeks of the op. I have had no pains or walking difficulties since

The surgeon was Dr Charlee Summatavanich who told me back then that, in addition to the high number of such operations he had successfully carried out, he was the chairman of the Thai-wide surgeons' group that conducts such operations. 

Hi. I got a quote from Bumrungrad for 1M baht for Mako robot assist. Did you get a direct anterior approach? In other words, did they go in through the front? Bangkok Phuket wants about 550k baht. Money is not my main consideration. Thanks for your recommendations. 

How was your recovery pain? Did you need to take opioids during recovery? 

Hip surgery cost €6.341 at Thailand?

The price is very -very -very expensive well come in south European States Greece /Athens for cheaper price and very nice star excellent doctors.

Many doctors in Thailand are come from USA-Australia -U.K and they scyrocket the prices for everything.

Are you searching for medical tourism or for idiots?