What happened to you, Thailand?

bob smith

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Ok.

what are the positives of living in Thailand in 2024?

list them all.

bob.

Cheap food

Cheap rooms

Warm

Cheap gyms

Shops open late

Cheap massages

Most of the DH foreigners live in small areas and don't get out much.

Easy to find a date

Cheap dentists

People are friendly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

I went to Don Wai. 5 or 6 foreigners there.

How long ago? It used to be that some would show up after going to Nakhon Pathom Immigration near Wat Rai KhIng. I used to go there when I worked at Mahidol, but I now go to Chaengwattana. I was told that the old Immigration office has now moved out somewhere, I think, near Phutthamonthon 8.  Don't know, for sure.

38 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Just today I was in a tourist ghetto meeting a friend of mine I haven't seen in a while.

I was sat at my table enjoying a nice cold beer when a hawker walked past and plonked her stuff on my table.

I politely said no thanks in english and smiled.

She persisted.

Then I said the same in Thai, to which she reacted angrily, and gave me the 'oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii' and stormed off.

I did nothing wrong, other than said no thank you.

You did do something wrong - you spoke Thai to her and when you do that , it seems to set them off for some reason ..🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, John Drake said:

How long ago? It used to be that some would show up after going to Nakhon Pathom Immigration near Wat Rai KhIng. I used to go there when I worked at Mahidol, but I now go to Chaengwattana. I was told that the old Immigration office has now moved out somewhere, I think, near Phutthamonthon 8.  Don't know, for sure.

Before covid

3 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

You did do something wrong - you spoke Thai to her and when you do that , it seems to set them off for some reason ..🤣

why though?

i think this is the only country in the world that locals don't appreciate farangs speaking the lingo.

it's a bloody strange place !

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

It makes no difference if your list is 1000 items long.

Some people are miserable and nothing makes a difference. 

Got do do something about age and hormones, and a long life abusing all the wrong food and substances. 

AN former Thai Visa, the forum of Grumphy old men who once moved to Paradise

• Agree 1

[quote]

Go into Petcharat Pharmacy near Siriraj Hospital and they are always stunned to see me there because no other Westerner comes in

[/quote]

You should try travelling in north Burma - the locals are so surprised to see a white foreigner - it's as if an alien has landed! (but a friendly alien...)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bob smith said:
8 minutes ago, susanlea said:

90% of the country Bob. 

well that hasn't been my experience at all.

bob.

Thats what people repeatedly try and tell you, bob.

Your experience is individual and the generalisation you broadly project is based on repeated personal broken encounters.

You are the very embodiment of the saying "Its not them, its you" .... 

Edited by richard_smith237

10 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Before covid

Of all the places I mentioned Don Wai is the most likely to see Westerners. It's sort of semi-Touristy. The other place is Central Pinklao, where I last saw another American. It was a woman standing in line at the AIS store. That was so long ago, I can't even remember how long. I know there must be other Westerners going into Central Pinklao's Tops, because they keep beating me to the Old El Paso salsa imported from the US. Maybe it's Thais, but I'd bet it's another American

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Got do do something about age and hormones, and a long life abusing all the wrong food and substances. 

AN former Thai Visa, the forum of Grumphy old men who once moved to Paradise

Haha, yep abuse of alcohol, KFC, and hanging out with the wrong crowd for too long?

People are afraid of Covid. Grumpiness and misery are the deadliest and most infectious diseases.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Of all the places I mentioned Don Wai is the most likely to see Westerners. It's sort of semi-Touristy. The other place is Central Pinklao, where I last saw another American. It was a woman standing in line at the AIS store. That was so long ago, I can't even remember how long. I know there must be other Westerners going into Central Pinklao's Tops, because they keep beating me to the Old El Paso salsa imported from the US. Maybe it's Thais, but I'd bet it's another American

Even Chaiyaphum has foreigners. 6 months no foreigners is a long time.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bob smith said:

How about you? do your experiences align with mine?

Not at all. All the locals I run into here in the north are very friendly, though some have trepidation at first eye contact probably because of their previous experiences with farangs, but soon as I smile and give them a krap it’s reciprocated. Though a lot of folks from the south have a different demeanor, pent up and withdrawn , some are a bit aggressive. Pretty easy to spot the folks not from around here. I’d assume western influence and electronic information overload is what you’re noticing in the changes.

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

How come they treat you bad but others day they get treated well? Maybe your voice tone is aggressive or your body language is.

so they judge us on our body language/appearance? 

whatever happened to 'dont judge a book by it's cover?'

thais are pretty shallow, wouldn't ya say?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

so they judge us on our body language/appearance? 

whatever happened to 'dont judge a book by it's cover?'

thais are pretty shallow, wouldn't ya say?

bob.

How long have you been there? Thais aren't like Americans or Brits. They hate aggressive people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

How long have you been there? Thais aren't like Americans or Brits. They hate aggressive people.

thai men are some of the most aggressive people I have ever met, especially after a little whiskey...

the women aren't far behind either.

especially the bar hyenas. 

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

a lot of westerners have a superiority complex 

the locals pick up on that

Amongst themselves too if out of social "strata"!

The additional impact of the internet has had it's own dubious impact on social attitudes.

Harking back to self perceptions of better days is probably self deceptive and as  futile as the "If only I knew then what I know now" phrase. "Then"is irrelevant to "now".

• Thumbs Up 1