What happened to you, Thailand?

bob smith

7 minutes ago, bob smith said:

so they judge us on our body language/appearance? 

whatever happened to 'dont judge a book by it's cover?'

thais are pretty shallow, wouldn't ya say?

bob.

Do you know what Thais think about westerns? Do you have any idea how many excuses Thais make because of our behaviour, lack of respect, dress codes, ? 

If you lived as long as you say you have done, then you would know where they place the average western sex tourists. You can claim the average Thai you know, is as bad or worse, but then it says more about you, who you manage to get to know, than anything else. 

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

the women aren't far behind either

The only time I’ve ever been hit was by a Thai woman, she put on her heaviest pair of shoes came over, barged in, took one shoe off and started beating me with it.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, transam said:

Indeed, I do, but I am one of those who generally has a happy face when I go out, a smile with eye contact..🤗

Though in the years I have been here, to me, it is the farangy's that have the problem, generally miserable, have a hi-so thing, no patience, I would suggest the locals may pick that up.  😏

OMG, I agree.  2 out of hundreds still isn’t record shattering.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Do you know what Thais think about westerns? Do you have any idea how many excuses Thais make because of our behaviour, lack of respect, dress codes, ? 

If you lived as long as you say you have done, then you would know where they place the average western sex tourists. You can claim the average Thai you know, is as bad or worse, but then it says more about you, who you manage to get to know, than anything else. 

what the hell are you on about at all.

about as clear as mud, as usual.

bob.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'm in the far Western suburbs. I walk around my area a lot, go to the local Foodland, Gourmet Market, and Taling Chan post office on a regular basis. I never see another Westerner in those places. Never. Go to Central Pinklao or the Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat Hospital regularly and never see any there either. Go into Petcharat Pharmacy near Siriraj Hospital and they are always stunned to see me there because no other Westerner comes in. Same thing for Thonburi Market, Don Wai Market, and my trips to the banks. 

Do you have a sight impediment?

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

what has happened to the Thai people?

are they all stressed out because of money?

is it because their politics are a mess?

is it social media that is influencing how they feel about us?

I think it's the above, plus covid.  Their self-esteem took a nock when things got really bad simply because tourists weren't allowed in.  This didn't lead to them appreciating tourists more, quite the opposite.  Post covid, there have been multiple strong anti-foreigner campaigns also.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think it's the above, plus covid.  Their self-esteem took a nock when things got really bad simply because tourists weren't allowed in.  This didn't lead to them appreciating tourists more, quite the opposite.  Post covid, there have been multiple strong anti-foreigner campaigns also.

finally a post with a modicum of sense!

@Hummin & @susanlea take note!

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Just today I was in a tourist ghetto meeting a friend of mine I haven't seen in a while.

I was sat at my table enjoying a nice cold beer when a hawker walked past and plonked her stuff on my table.

I politely said no thanks in english and smiled.

She persisted.

Then I said the same in Thai, to which she reacted angrily, and gave me the 'oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii' and stormed off.

I did nothing wrong, other than said no thank you.

I find the hawkers that invade my space annoying as well - many of them are not Thai FWIW.  I use the Dog Whispers technique, "No touch, no talk and no eye contact".  They soon scamper off elsewhere.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I find the hawkers that invade my space annoying as well - many of them are not Thai FWIW.  I use the Dog Whispers technique, "No touch, no talk and no eye contact".  They soon scamper off elsewhere.

like leaches they are, blood sucking parasites. 

all smiles when they approach and all sulky when you tell em to get stuffed.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bob seems to generalise based on his own issues...     

There's a touch of reality in some of the points he makes, Thailand has changed, every country has, its called progression, development etc... we have also changed, its called aging, maturing...   for the most of use here an element of 'rose tinted glasses' is replaced with realism... 

But... people such as Bob have issues with everything. 

In another recent thread (about registering a vehicle), Bob implied that authorities want to make such processes as difficult as possible for Foreigners, whereas others (myself included) found such processes incredibly simple. 

The crux of Bobs posts come down to attitude, it would appear that all of the issues bob encounters are completely self inflicted and he's also extremely thin-skinned to any perceived sleight by a Thai, while has the skin of a rhino when dealing with some of the flack he receives on this forum - quite the enigma is Bob... apperntly a complete train wreck, nevertheless an enigma, a likeable one.

I agree......😋

11 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think a lot of that has been caused more so by the prevalence of 'social media' targeting a specific nationalistic nerve...   

... I wouldn't suggest there are 'multiple strong anti-foreigner campaigns'... but I would agree that a handful of foreigners have behave so poorly, there has been some publicised black-lash and outpourings of disdain on social media and national media which we may consider edging towards nationalism (anti-farangism if you want) until we also compare to the similar levels of outrage Thai's would levy at other Thai's for similar behavior...  (just look at the media attention the Dr who was killed crossing the road received).

Edited by richard_smith237

I can’t say I blame the Thais for losing their respect towards foreigners.

Just look at the news reports.  Every day I can use my favorite term, nutter farang.  Those are the ones that were offensive enough to make the news.

Many more nutter farang incidents don’t make the news but are  heard about in disastrous relationships.  Stuff I’ve heard from women you can’t just make up at the time when being told.

Over the past 10 years I’ve spent long periods of time in Thailand doing my homework to decide if I want to pull the plug and become a full time expat.

More and more I’m leaning against it.

Reason:  Nutter Farangs.  Not all are but way too many are for my liking.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Try flirting with them.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, G_Money said:

I can’t say I blame the Thais for losing their respect towards foreigners.

Just look at the news reports.  Every day I can use my favorite term, nutter farang.  Those are the ones that were offensive enough to make the news.

Many more nutter farang incidents don’t make the news but are  heard about in disastrous relationships.  Stuff I’ve heard from women you can’t just make up at the time when being told.

Over the past 10 years I’ve spent long periods of time in Thailand doing my homework to decide if I want to pull the plug and become a full time expat.

More and more I’m leaning against it.

Reason:  Nutter Farangs.  Not all are but way too many are for my liking.

90% of farangs are nutters like 90% of voters are idiots.

4 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Just look at the news reports.

they are demonizing foreigners with selective reporting.

can't you see that?

would a foreigner on holiday in the US or UK that slept in a hotel without permission make the evening news???

think about it for goodness sake!

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Thais also started to travel places there was mostly western tourism before, and maybe they appreciated the change. 

Just now, bob smith said:

maybe. maybe not.

I personally think that thais have an attitude problem.

bob.

When it comes to..... "some" .....farangy's, I have no doubt...........😉

But, in places like Pattaya where the locals are dealing day after day with mainly sh_t head farangy tourists, I think I would be p_ssed off too.

Where I live, it is a pleasure to do anything, why, very few tourists, a few farangy expats, who, many themselves stay out of the way, and a few that are "know-it-alls", been here 5 minutes bringing their farangland with them...🙄