Supreme Court rules that camping ban is constitutional.

Cryingdick

I have no idea how b a statute would ever be considered cruel and unusual puni#hment. You can't camp outside of a designated area almost anywhere. If you said people camping in the jnner city would be executed, you have a point. That said a law isn't a punishment. Good news. 

Now any locality with any political will can get rid of the excrement, drugs and urban decay that this brings to their streets. Conversely any place that welcomes it can look forward to more of a good thing. Even the most liberal posters here talk about the west coast like it had died years ago. Lets see if it can be brought back and revitalized.

• Thanks 1

They once managed to turn NYC around.

I lived in Manhattan in the mid 70s.  It was a lot of fun back then, but the city was also a mess.  Homeless people everywhere. Beggars on every block. Prostitutes on just about every block. Graffiti everywhere, including graffiti that covered just about every square inch of every subway car. Drugs openly sold on street corners.  I sort of came away with the impression that unless you were murdering someone or robbing a bank, you were good to go.

Anyway, Rudy Giuliani came along and they somehow turned things around.  I think it helped that the economy was improving at the same time.  More recently, the city seems to be on the decline.  Some of that is by design, and some of it is because the economy was weakened by the COVID lockdowns and all the work from home people are now doing. 

So, it’s possible. Any city in America can be turned around, I think.

Edited by jas007
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jas007 said:

They once managed to turn NYC around.

I lived in Manhattan in the mid 70s.  It was a lot of fun back then, but the city was also a mess.  Homeless people everywhere. Beggars on every block. Prostitutes on just about every block. Graffiti everywhere, including graffiti that covered just about every square inch of every subway car. Drugs openly sold on street corners.  I sort of came away with the impression that unless you were murdering someone or robbing a bank, you were good to go.

Anyway, Rudy Giuliani came along and they somehow turned things around.  I think it helped that the economy was improving at the same time.  More recently, the city seems to be on the decline.  Some of that is by design, and some of it is because the economy was weakened by the COVID lockdowns and all the work from home people are now doing. 

So, it’s possible. Any city in America can be turned around, I think.

I have been watching a YouTube channel by a guy called Cash Jordan, who is from New York City. He is a real estate guy, but his videos are all about the decay and decline of NYC. Very watchable and he makes a lot of sense. One thing I did notice in his videos is that you see very few people wearing suits or even ties in NYC these days (business people). Almost everyone is in a hoodie or looking borderline disreputable. I think the commercial heart of the city is being strangled.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I have been watching a YouTube channel by a guy called Cash Jordan, who is from New York City. He is a real estate guy, but his videos are all about the decay and decline of NYC. Very watchable and he makes a lot of sense. One thing I did notice in his videos is that you see very few people wearing suits or even ties in NYC these days (business people). Almost everyone is in a hoodie or looking borderline disreputable. I think the commercial heart of the city is being strangled.

I think that may be true, in part, but I also think that some of what you’re seeing is just a cultural shift.  People in NYC used to pay attention to how they looked. They tried to look good. And that meant dressing well.

Fast forward to the year 2001 (the last time I was in Manhattan) and it seemed like the dress code had changed. You could look more like a slob and get away with it.  At least that’s the impression I had.  Today things may be even more relaxed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

You know what they call a well dressed New Yorker?  A mugging target. 

I'd rather dress like I have no money on me.

That may be.  I’m pretty sure, though, that most people aren’t dressing more casually simply because they don’t want to be a mugging target. Today, it’s just a matter of people dressing however they want. And it seems to work.

When I first moved to Southern California from NYC I the summer of 1977, one of the first things I noticed was that people in California were almost always dressed casually.  Even in the best restaurants, you could get away with wearing a polo shirt and jeans.  In NYC, that wouldn’t work too well.  There were many restaurants in Manhattan that wouldn’t even let you in the door if you weren’t wearing a dinner jacket. 

Anyway, I think that the people in NYC now simply think that casual makes more sense.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

You know what they call a well dressed New Yorker?  A mugging target. 

I'd rather dress like I have no money on me.

Urban Decay gone viral!

I use to go to NYC for business back in 

the years 1998- 2001!

Sanctuary policies have destroyed the ambience! Subway system is now occupied by the NATIONAL GUARD!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesfarrell/2024/03/09/national-guard-now-patrolling-nyc-subway-heres-what-it-looks-like-photos/#