Bangkok Bank account - they want me to have a TIN

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

If you're American, you can't open an account anywhere without much more paperwork than before, including your SSN. All banks with American customer's accounts must report your banking to the US. Your existing account must be very old as this change happened years ago.

Writing ones 9 digit SSN on one paper at Bangkok Bank then signing it is not any reasonable description of "much more paperwork". 

It has ben required for some years. Also FATCA is a 5 minute task. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

when they brought out the paperwork for a Tax Id Number.

This is for a Thai TIN? (And not a U.S. TIN.)

What was this paperwork?

Does Bangkok Bank obtain a TIN for customers with the Thai Revenue Department?

33 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

It has ben required for some years.

You mean an SSN?

If so, why haven't they asked for it for existing accounts?

I infer from the OP that this was a requirement to open a second/new account.

I have no issue providing my SSN, but I do not have a Thai TIN so I'd have to get one of those.

13 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

What was this paperwork?

You mean an SSN?

I have no issue providing my SSN, but I do not have a Thai TIN so I'd have to get one of those.

Yes. SSN It may be your branch. I was asked to provide a SSN some years ago(5-6?) although I have had my main saving account at least 17 billion years. I also have a Thai TIN  but my bank does not ask for it

I have business to take care of this week in the branch if they ask for Thai TIN I will update.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

What was this paperwork?

You mean an SSN?

Me, I don't want a Thai TIN. I can't recall what I did 10 yrs ago for my account. But because I deposit my pension monthly they stopped my online transfer capability and ATM card. Guess I'll do cash all the way.

Does the US issue a US TIN, I don't think so...only your SSN. Looking back on today I think it was for a Thai TIN

Edited by EVENKEEL

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

If you're American, you can't open an account anywhere without much more paperwork than before, including your SSN. All banks with American customer's accounts must report your banking to the US. Your existing account must be very old as this change happened years ago.

The 3 page paperwork said TIN, that's when I stopped the transaction. In the US your SSN is your tax number so this must have been for Thai authorities as well.

1 minute ago, novacova said:

Yes, a TIN is issued when you register a business in the US. I have a couple of TIN’s. Whenever a TIN is required, just use the SSN.

When you register a business, called a business license. Not just for opening a bank account.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

What was this paperwork?

You mean an SSN?

Yes, he mean SSN for American customers want to open an account. Now they apparently also asks for Thai TIN, as most that have a need for a Thai bank account will stay over 180 days per year in Thailand. If you don´t, they will still ask for a TIN.

However, the paperwork for Americans open accounts are much bigger than for many other nationalities, including SSN for many years already. Thank your government 😉 

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

When you register a business, called a business license. Not just for opening a bank account.

I had two completely separate business in the US. Each business has a TIN used for filing taxes under the businesses. I employed myself under the LLC and scorp and filed personal income taxes under my SSN. They are asking for your TIN or SSN, same thing. Just give them your SSN.

Edited by novacova
  • Thumbs Up 2

I had to go in to my bank last week to prove identity to do bank transfers. while sitting there, I noticed on the screen the teller pulled up,

several fields for US Bank Account No., Foreign Bank Account No.1 ,   Foreign Bank Account No.2, and Tax ID No.

So it looks like the government are getting ready to grab as much info on us as they can. Maybe at the instigation of the Tax Dept.

• Haha 1

so, if one transfers 800k THB into Thailand, then allows it to sit for their Non-O / Extensions.

will one typically need or want to file a Thai Tax return? 

or if one has a Fixed Deposit account with the 800k in it, does anyone actually file Thai Tax returns for recovering the withholding BBL does?

Does one ever claim the Thai income , on their US 1040 tax forms?  I know in the US  even if one receives no 1099-INT, cause it's < $10, one is still supposed to add up and report the <$10 Interest...

(lets say they *are or may spend > 180 days in country going forward)

btw,  I guess this begs the question how does a Farang get a TIN ?  maybe this is where one hires "an agent" to sort both out

23 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, today I went to go open a second bank account so I can do online transfer and have an ATM. I walked away when they brought out the paperwork for a Tax Id Number. They want my US SSN, I don't think so. Anyone recently open a new account.

It's been that way for a number of years.  It's the United States Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) which every country in the world was told to accept (or face sanctions).  It's not BKK Bank.  You'll find the same at any other bank you attempt to open an account at.  That's the "benefit" of holding a US Passport my friend. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, novacova said:

Yes, a TIN is issued when you register a business in the US. I have a couple of TIN’s. Whenever a TIN is required, just use the SSN.

Yep.  You really over-reacted OP.  This is just the way of it now. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, he mean SSN for American customers want to open an account. Now they apparently also asks for Thai TIN, as most that have a need for a Thai bank account will stay over 180 days per year in Thailand. If you don´t, they will still ask for a TIN.

However, the paperwork for Americans open accounts are much bigger than for many other nationalities, including SSN for many years already. Thank your government 😉 

Which is why some Thai banks won't open accounts for US citizens.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Yep.  You really over-reacted OP.  This is just the way of it now. 

Possible. But all this bs about taxes has me being cautious. Guess I'll be a super cash guy for awhile