Monthly budget in Thailand

susanlea

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

I get really tired of replies like yours, where you did not think at all before posting. Might be that you came to Thailand and never had a relationship before that, or you just don´t get it. Let´s break it down in simple chunks of education.

First we deal with the age gap. Surely a gap over 20 years will be a bigger problem than a smaller one. It will also get harder if the younger one just came out of the teenage years. However, that is not a question or problem related to this thread. Just for you to get an understanding, the age gap between me and my wife is 10 years, which is fairly common and nothing that opens any eyes in the western world either.

Moving along to the relationship or marriage. What you seem to have experience from, is massage and bargirls, and that is not something you use as a measurement for regular marriages. I am talking about a girlfriend or wife that had or did not have a regular job when starting the relationship. In my case I had met my wife´s older sister at another friends wedding first, and she introduced me to her sister. At that time they both worked in Bangkok in their cousins shop making replacement teeths. They had a salary of 15k baht per month that has now gone up to 18k baht for her sister who is still working and living in Bangkok.

The family is from Isaan, and regular farmers. They already had a fairly big house, a lot of land, car and tractor as well as all the tools needed for farming. However, farming 1 time a year does not give much money for a whole year. Neither does working and living in Bangkok with a salary of only 15k baht. However, we make it short. I liked her and she liked me, so we married and there was not even any talk about a dowry, even as she had never been married nor had any children.

We both wanted children, and I made enough money for us which led to that she stayed home, taking care of me, the home and later also our two daughters.

Now we come to this! Disregarding if it would be a western stay at home wife, or a Thai wife, do they not need any money for their work with home and children. Does not a western wife expect to have spending money in such situation? Do you hear already how stupid and out of reality you reply was?

After that, it´s quite normal for me to have economy together when living as husband and wife. Never had a problem with that in Thailand, but there was a bigger problem with that in my first marriage in Sweden. Okay, I do not share all the saving and invested capital with her, as we all need a security in life. However, she is aware of that and accept as well as understand.

Of course I have built a house, bought a car and is spoiling her with different occasional gifts. Exactly like it would have been being married to a western woman. Probably less expensive then the western option. Anyway, that is something we do wherever we settle down in life. Sure, you can bring up all about that I can not own my house and bla bla bla. We are quite secure in our relation, but if it should go sideways, she is more than welcome to keep the house. Mostly that would be what happens in a divorce with a western woman when children involved anyway.

And, after the children has grown up a little bit, she wanted to work. Then I saw it like a good idea she work for herself like I do. Therefore I invested and opened a shop for her, with savings money coming from our shard economy. So, now she have something to do and are happy with life. Isn´t that what you should do to each other in life? She makes me happy, and in return, I make her happy.

So, as a conclusion, I have no idea what you are talking about. Must just be a great lack of experience. And, no! My wife is not very different to other Thai women that are not from the bar and massage scene. I am pretty sure that there are many foreigners on this forum, that can relate to my scenario in parts or as a whole.

TLTR

5 minutes ago, London Boy said:

I agree with OntheLash. Having a child, and paying international school fees, dramatically increases costs. I spend around 200k a month atm and that's just with one child.

Not sure about that,

My 12yo is in a CEP class (Chinese an English project) at a Thai  government high school (24 in the class), he is fluent in Thai and English, and learning Chinese fairly well. Fees are 8kbht a term (5kbht this first year for uniforms and shoes), bus is 1,300bht/month, and he gets 100bht/day for food and snacks. We also pay a teacher from his school for 3 private lessons a week to improve his Thai reading and writing 500bht/week.

Total costs under 5kbht/month.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Wife, now, being 22 yrs my junior, hence the house, solar & EVs, so she's set for quite some time, as all new.

Why the monthly bills structured to be silly inexpensive.  Kid's out of Uni, self employed, hooked up and living her life @ Krung Thep, so I'm on retirement # 2 :cheesy:

Actually did everything I ever wanted to do before I retired.  Now the family thing is checked off, so this is all new to me :cheesy:

Same for me, plus I paid for her to attend high school and University, my Thai wife tells me I'm the best Dad she ever had!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, susanlea said:

Walk free

Reading free

Gym can be free

Riding a bicycle can be free

Motorbike cheap

120 baht massage

Watermelon shake 35 baht

Why do you need to spend lots of money to have fun?

Most people buy crap they dont need or pay 5 to 10 times the cost price in expensive restaurants.

But if you've worked hard to earn money are you not entitled to spend it?  Whilst I admire your frugality it's not how I, or many others, wish to live their lives. I don't consider my lifestyle especially extravagant but it does consume about Bht100,000 per month.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Which info did I twist? Is the house and car in your name? Does your wife pay half the food bills? 

Yes, now that she run a shop, we put same much in for cover the shared bills. Of course the house is not in my name, as that is not lawfully possible in Thailand. But, no big deal, as a man usually lose the house in a divorce with a western woman when kids are involved. The car is in my name.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Stocky said:

But if you've worked hard to earn money are you not entitled to spend it?  Whilst I admire your frugality it's not how I, or many others, wish to live their lives. I don't consider my lifestyle especially extravagant but it does consume about Bht100,000 per month.

Depends how old you are and whether you need to spend to have fun. No wrong answer.

23 minutes ago, Stocky said:

How do you spend 100k a month? not easy, maybe with family and school fees

Been Bangkok 20 years and its always been around the same  80 - 100k a month.

Times have changes, cheaper accommodation, living with a partner, being single, moving slightly away from main area, now with kid and school costs.

The amount though has stayed the same throughout 80 to 100k, lifestyle just adjusted and traded some things for others but have never felt I'm living cheaply or missing out on anything.

Only time I dropped below that was when I was not working and saving, might have been closer to 60k then but with kid on tow now, that might be challenging.

Outside Bangkok, I suspect easily half that maybe less if I stayed at village house, not much there to spend things on even if I had spare cash.

Just now, cdemundo said:

what restaurant is that?

Curry shop. Fairly small but great curries. Every dish is around the same price. Friendly service. The quality is 8 or 9 out of ten. For the price a bargain. Only ever saw one other farang in it. Like to keep it that way. The area is 99.5% Thai. If in the area I eat there everyday. 

Living with GF and Dog:

House                         17,500 Baht/Month

Maintenance                  500

Food                           15,000

Own old Car                3,000

Electric/Water              1,200

Household Money     10,000

Hua Hin Westcoast.

Edited by ujayujay
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

Decent living with Kitchen facilities you cant get below 15 000 - 18 000,- a month. 800 baht electric and water  additional.

Decent quality food for home cooking 12 000

1500 a month for gym

29 300,-

Yea, and what are you doing all day long?

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

One subset of people where 100,000 is not enough are those that would keep a presence in their home country, added travel costs, maintain first rate health insurance, and when in Thailand have additional expenses as they live more like a long term tourist who wants to enjoy retirement on those terms rather than someone who considers Thailand their home and settles down as such.  

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yea, and what are you doing all day long?

I think me and the one who I replied to,  described basic cost before spendings for fun, traveling and insurance.

I have lived in new appartments for 3500, but it is not sustainable for longer periods, due to noise and the people it attracts for living there. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

How old is Clint Eastwood?

Clint will die with his boots on, he is not yet retired. 

What is Clint Eastwood doing now in 2024?

He's currently directing and producing (2024) the upcoming movie Juror No.15. apr. 2024

Edited by Hummin

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

You are living in denial. 90% of people would say you bought a wife. I'm not the weird one. I'm in the majority. :coffee1:

I just waited a while before answering this one. Now you can take a look at your replies, which have negative emoji´s, and then you compare that to mine you replied to, that have positive emoji´s.

Think that is a good pointer to where the majority falls. Or maybe, you just have another stupid remark out of sync with reality for that too.

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

You will live 100 years. I know your type.

Grumpy men live longest

3 minutes ago, susanlea said:

But he is probably 30 years older than the average age on here. Maybe retirement brings death on sooner due to boredom and no meaningful experiences in life?

Exactly, I'm going back to work as long I can. 

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Easy to spend if you have bills, mortgage/rent/car and or MB loans, kids in school and support partner's family.   Might even need 200k :cheesy:

But myself & wife w/dog ... don't know how I would spend the ฿2700 baht a day extra.   With all of 2k baht mandatory monthly bills, leaves 98k to play with.  15k for mandatory food, leaving ฿83k

฿83k left, (actually about what my Soc Sec is, depending on exchange rate).   In USA, yes, that would be easy.  One night hotel stay.   Last O&A, think most expensive room was ฿1000/$27, meal, maybe ฿800/$21

Even a full day of driving, 4- hrs, (320 kms) only cost ฿375 (EV)

Can't remember last time a room cost >฿2k or a meal >฿1k.  We don't do big metros or tourist areas.  I guess if we stayed on the road, everyday, in a hotel, dined out, we'd spend ฿100k a month.  That's not looking for any bargains and being thrifty, and still think we'd have plenty left over.   If I ate western food w/alcohol, then it would be a lot easier to spend ฿100k a month, when O&A, but not from home.

That would be holiday mode though.   We like our bed, our food, and the view from the veranda, along with 5 ish minutes from surfside.  

At least the wife has stopped asking me, why we go O&A, on holiday, when we moved to our favorite holiday location in TH ... hmm  :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA