SIM router with weak RSRP signal - where to buy antenna to fix this?

4myr

I use a SIM router for my internet at home. First I used DTAC at band 1. Since last year I use NT mobile at band 40.

I live in a rural area. Between the cell tower and my house is about 500 meters.

The signal is obstructed by a few houses and more by coconut trees.

Both DTAC and NT mobile use the same cell tower. Difference is only the band - DTAC on 1 vs NT on 40.

I use a LTE modem with 2 stick antenna's which hang against the window. There is no line of sight.

With DTAC on band 1 I never had connectivity issues.

DTAC provides me consistently between 5-15 mbps. The contract is maxed at 15 Mbps.

While with NT I have a few times per month signal issues.

The RSPR then is between -120 to -110db. Intermittently the modem tells me I lose connection. The overall strenght is below 40%.

On good days the overall strenght is above 60%. Then I get on band 40 3 CA aggregations with speeds of around 50 mbps.

After the takeover by True of DTAC the 1 year internet sims increased by price dramatically.
NT mobile is the only provider that keeps its price below 1,000B.

I have configured my router in failover mode with my phone connected by usb to the router, in case such a bad day happen.

Most of the antenna's advertised in Shopee/Lazada is crap.
On youtube I see a British guy making his own LTE biquad antenna which can be finetuned on the band frequency.

I'm not that skilled.

I wonder if someone can advice me a good antenna I can buy that can solve this issue.

12 minutes ago, 4myr said:

I use a SIM router for my internet at home. First I used DTAC at band 1. Since last year I use NT mobile at band 40.

I live in a rural area. Between the cell tower and my house is about 500 meters.

The signal is obstructed by a few houses and more by coconut trees.

Both DTAC and NT mobile use the same cell tower. Difference is only the band - DTAC on 1 vs NT on 40.

I use a LTE modem with 2 stick antenna's which hang against the window. There is no line of sight.

With DTAC on band 1 I never had connectivity issues.

DTAC provides me consistently between 5-15 mbps. The contract is maxed at 15 Mbps.

While with NT I have a few times per month signal issues.

The RSPR then is between -120 to -110db. Intermittently the modem tells me I lose connection. The overall strenght is below 40%.

On good days the overall strenght is above 60%. Then I get on band 40 3 CA aggregations with speeds of around 50 mbps.

After the takeover by True of DTAC the 1 year internet sims increased by price dramatically.
NT mobile is the only provider that keeps its price below 1,000B.

I have configured my router in failover mode with my phone connected by usb to the router, in case such a bad day happen.

On youtube I see a British guy making his own LTE biquad antenna which can be finetuned on the band frequency.

I'm not that skilled.

I wonder if someone can advice me a good antenna I can buy that can solve this issue.

SIM router with 3CA? Which model is that?

NT Mobile doesn't have an annual price under 1000 baht; NT Wireless does. It's a fixed point offer, rather than mobile.

NT Mobile has an Unlimited 15 Mbps pack for around 1700 baht.

12 minutes ago, NowNow said:

NT Mobile doesn't have an annual price under 1000 baht; NT Wireless does. It's a fixed point offer, rather than mobile.

I think the OP refers to that "NT Thunder" (band 40).

And seems the OP uses it "fixed"/stationery.

31 minutes ago, 4myr said:

You say that from reading/viewing the offers/specs?

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

I think the OP refers to that "NT Thunder" (band 40).

And seems the OP uses it "fixed"/stationery.

You say that from reading/viewing the offers/specs?

NT Thunder is a NT Wireless product. Fixed point internet. So it's being used appropriately. NT Mobile offers a mobile service.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

You think a directional antenna for 4G (mounted outside) won't do the job?

Any links you can share with me?

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

SIM router with 3CA? Which model is that?

NT Mobile has an Unlimited 15 Mbps pack for around 1700 baht.

I built my own from readily available components on internet, Aliexpress and Shopee:

1) the router - a Raspberry Pi4B initially, 8 months ago I moved to a miniPC with N100 cpu.
More capable with fan, power adapter included and more ports than a Pi 5. Overkill at the moment, but the box is more quiet and looks nicer than the Pi.

2) router software - Openwrt 23.5 with LTE modules added like signal info, LTE failover, internet detector and to remove LTE buffer bloat 

3) the LTE modem is a Fibocom L850-GL card, which I inserted in a usb adapter card within a black box and 2 antenna's.

This modem achieves the 3 CA's if the signal reception is excellent.

I also bought the more powerful L860 with 4 antenna's, however with speeds below 100mbps and no line of sight I put it on a shelf somewhere. I'll use it when I move to BKK or Chiang Mai.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, 4myr said:

I built my own from readily available components on internet, Aliexpress and Shopee:

1) the router - a Raspberry Pi4B initially, 8 months ago I moved to a miniPC with N100 cpu.
More capable with fan, power adapter included and more ports than a Pi 5. Overkill at the moment, but the box is more quiet and looks nicer than the Pi.

2) router software - Openwrt 23.5 with LTE modules added like signal info, LTE failover, internet detector and to remove LTE buffer bloat 

3) the LTE modem is a Fibocom L850-GL card, which I inserted in a usb adapter card within a black box and 2 antenna's.

This modem achieves the 3 CA's if the signal reception is excellent.

I also bought the more powerful L860 with 4 antenna's, however with speeds below 100mbps and no line of sight I put it on a shelf somewhere. I'll use it when I move to BKK or Chiang Mai.

I have to state that it didn't ever occur to me to create my own. 

You given me some ideas 😊

On 7/2/2024 at 4:10 PM, 4myr said:

Instead of lenghty links:

you can start at Lazada and search for:

4G yagi antenna

Prices vary widely. Hard to say whether it makes the difference.

One of the more pricey antennas (1590 Baht):

(link manually cut down)
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4g-yagi-antenna-3g4g-g-antenna-yagi-antenna-25dbi-4g-lte-sma-male-outdoor-antenna-directional-booster-amplifier-modem-i2333786256-s7896049269.html

Cheap stuff:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/428dbi-4lte-smab-ooster-a-mplifierrg58-15wifi4sma-i1773302517-s5162382562.html

Even parabolic antennas available:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4g-lte-antenna-224dbi-mimo-antenna-1700-2700mhz-parabolic-grid-antenna-outdoor-antenna-with-cable-i3965347912-s15334877872.html

Complete over 3000 Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ