Thai-ed up: British man’s terrifying prison ordeal in Thailand

On 7/3/2024 at 2:01 PM, redwood1 said:

Lots of people have worked illegally as a Teacher......LOADS.......The schools even encouraged it......

Then there is lots of talk about drugs and alcohol and the wrong crowd that has nothing to do with teaching.....

Strange and pointless story... That makes no point.....Except Thai jails are bad....

I don't know how this sort of thing works, but my guess is that this guy is attempting to promote the launch of his online "business" back home in the UK. He appears to have managed to persuade his local newspaper to run a (non) story about him,  in fact I googled it and there was an article published about 6 days ago in a Birmingham "newspaper" (which probably only actually exists on line) and the OP is an exact cut and paste job.

Amazingly google also revealed that the exact same non- story is also  being covered by , amongst others The Uk's Daily Mail and Daily Express,  Yahoo news, Microsoft news, The Thai Examiner, and believe it or not The New York Post. all word for word exactly the same 

Why they all saw fit to cover this is beyond me, as a "banged up abroad" story its nothing particularly exciting or out of the ordinary ,  but even worse,  out of all these established media giants not one single person  appears to have noticed the appalling lack of detail and they have all quite happily cut and pasted a piece of absolutely pointless rubbish about something that happened 5 years ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 2:18 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

"Morton was handed a five-year ban on travelling to Thailand, which ends this year. "

Wander if he is planning to come back to LOS???

I don't care one way or the other, but then again why not, he won't be the first overstayer to return and I doubt he'll be the last.

Apparently he's married now so I doubt he'll be back

Edited by Bday Prang

On 7/4/2024 at 2:27 AM, jesimps said:

Got done for drugs? He's lucky to still be walking this earth. Whinging goit.

Where does it say he "got done for drugs"   did I miss that bit or are you just making things up !    Read it again he was caught on overstay and sent to the IDC to await deportation,  No mention of a drugs conviction.   You and a few others on here seem to be so triggered merely by seeing the word "drugs"  in a story that you start inventing all sorts of imaginary scenarios to express your outrage.    Exactly the sort of people this journalistic trash is written for, 

On 7/4/2024 at 6:02 AM, n00dle said:

none of it makes sense, his jailtime was long for IDC and short for a drugs offense.

I cant imagine the man was such an orphan that somebody couldn't come up with the overstay fine and a ticket to get him out earlier.  

He wouldn't have served jailtime for a drugs offence in the immigration detention centre , he was awaiting deportation for overstay it would appear from his 4 month stay there that  nobody was in a rush to put the money up  for him to return

On 7/3/2024 at 5:05 PM, herfiehandbag said:

You only end up in IDC if you are: deliberately overstaying and making no attempt to put right your "immigration status" or leave; or doing something really silly like working illegally whilst on a tourist visa. If he had managed to secure a job whilst on a tourist visa, then it is relatively straightforward to concert to a type B visa.

As far as I know, language schools don't usually provide a work permit, unless things have changed in recent years. But, all (or almost all) schools, colleges and universities do. The guy most probably worked at a language school. 

On 7/4/2024 at 9:10 AM, Iron Tongue said:

So this jerk glosses over that he was selling drugs when he was arrested.  So what if he spent ~4 months in jail before being deported on an overstay.

While 30, does look 50 in that picture.  Wonder if it was the jail or drugs.

Selling drugs and only gets 4 months jail. Stop talking BS.

• 1 month later...