drink and driving

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Is a lot of money for Thais, you know that just as good as me. Aside from the fact there just really is no taxi's in most remote places.

Then take some time to sober up before you drive. You don't have to close the place down drinking until then. No excuses whatsoever. Time clears the mind and body.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Murder needs intent.

if a drunk driver deliberately killed someone it would be murder.

Accidents happen.

More road deaths are caused by sober people.

I take it back - that's even worse!

There is intent, the intent begins when you put the key in the ignition - drunk.  I really can't be bothered discussing it with such an obnoxious git but I'm sure you find the drunk driver reaction test videos on youtube if you look.

Watch them, and the way some the drivers can't even walk in a straight line and then try telling us there is such a thing as a 'capable' drunk driver.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You have hundreds of friends?   I'd bet an awful lot against that!

It happens when you go out drinking 4,500 times over 30 years.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

But the fact is I, and many people I know are capable of driving drunk.

No you are not, you've simply been lucky.  Care to post your address, my next door neighbour (police captain) lost his daughter to a drunk driver, I'm sure he love to follow you home from the bar.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...when you drunkenly thought that you were on the right side of the road and not speeding, but drunk!   You seem to be suggesting, bizarrely, that drunk driving is a preferable state to using a phone.

It is. I usually pull over to the side of the road when using my phone. Only takes a few seconds.

All your other imagined scenarios are just in your mind. 
You should get out more. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That is the entire reason I do it as well. That's why Thais do it, to not be aware of this is kind of ignorant

Most people do it.

The only people who do not realize this is the ones that stay home every night imagining stuff. Pubs and restaurants have car parks, not taxi ranks.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

my next door neighbour (police captain) lost his daughter to a drunk driver

I am not saying everyone can do it. Many people certainly shouldn’t.

Some people, most people, do it their entire lives and it is never an issue.

Sorry if that reality offends you.

it is what it is. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, motdaeng said:

one of my foreign neighbors drives every day late afternoon into the city, meeting his drinking friends at a bar.

after drinking a few beers, he drives back home, about 20 km. everyone knows he drinks every day and

gets drunk quite often. if he is drunk it can get easily out of controll.

why do so many foreigners here in thailand think it is their right to drink and drive? what do these kinds

of people think? why do these people always defend their drink and driving habit?

if an accident happens, innocent people get injured or killed, but these selfish and ruthless farangs just don't care.

it is a shame, the police does not much (or better nothing) against it ... 

btw, about 45 years ago, a friend of mine was killed by a drunken driver. 

They do it because they are idiots with no sense of reality. They actually believe they can drive safely after a drinking session which obviously is not the case.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Pubs and restaurants have car parks, not taxi ranks.

You think that everyone who goes to pubs and restaurants gets pissed?  You really are a saddo.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Just about every drunk driver says the same - until they kill someone.

99% of drunk drivers don’t kill anybody.

Are you insane?

Please keep it real. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Lol are you kidding me or what, are you really that ignorant? You want to tell 80% of the Thai people to relocate? And magically earn more money? Get real.

These self righteous posers are not dealing with reality, they are in a woke dream land. No wonder they have no social life.

Go to any pub tonight and you will see people driving home after having a few.

Millions are doing it all over the world right now.

• Sad 3

Basically, I don't drink and drive in Thailand. Worst case, every couple of months, I drive maybe 2km back home after 2 glasses of wine or so.

Long time ago, back home, I did from time to time drink (not little, but not very much) and drive, maybe 5 to 10km back to home.

I think when we are aware that we are (a little drunk), and we drive carefully, then the risk is manageable. 

Making sure we keep our distance, no fast turns, making sure there is lots of time and space if we have to cross a lane, etc. Doing all that, I bet my risk, while driving carefully after a few drinks, is still lower than many Thai drivers.

Summary: I don't do it because I don't want to get into legal trouble, especially in Thailand. But apart from that there is a big difference between having a couple of drinks and not being capable of driving.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I think when we are aware that we are (a little drunk), and we drive carefully, then the risk is manageable. 

Making sure we keep our distance, no fast turns, making sure there is lots of time and space if we have to cross a lane, etc.

Great post mate.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's is perhaps one of the most stupid arguments I've read... 

... "My government sells bombs so its ok for me to drink drive and put innocent people at greater risk"...

Do you also throw litter out of your car?... what does it matter, your country bombs other countries...   the logic disconnect is astonishing.

The world being imperfect, is not a valid personal excuse to make it worse.

He isn’t making it worse.

He hasn’t killed anyone.

You wouldn’t even know about it if he had not have been so honest and told you. 
You and your mate Lou are carrying on like a two bobwatch.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

most Thai's I know have had a drink driving related accident at some point in their life...   (and quite a few westerners too - on their motorcycle)... 

I agree during drunk on a motorcycle is quite risky. Booze affects your balance and you need balance for two wheels. 

29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

How many are killed and maimed by drunk drivers?

Less than from speeding drivers.

why do all the car manufacturers produce cars that can go 200km plus?

why is that allowed? 

why are not all cars fitted with speed controllers? 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Do you want me to be PC or do you want the truth?

I drink drive, as millions of other people do, I have done for 30 years, and I have never had an incident.

And you’re proud of the fact? Only a matter of time before you’re caught your luck will run out. I only hope no one gets hurt as a result.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Utalk2mutt said:

And you’re proud of the fact? Only a matter of time before you’re caught your luck will run out. I only hope no one gets hurt as a result.

I would not say proud.

a bit smug perhaps.

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

why is that allowed? 

I agree...   

Speeding also kills... As does using a mobile phone...

As does driving while tired, as does driving while doped up / high....

Using an argument that cars can go fast and that can also cause deaths to justify drink driving which also causes deaths is a massive justification fallacy - its flawed at a point of very basic logic.

Why are cars not fitted with speed controllers - that has been floated recently in the UK.

But there are major practical issues to contend with. 

i.e. driving along a motorway limited at 70mph and travelling parallel to a road that has a limit of 40mph.. 

Will the car automatically slow to 40mph on the motorway.... 

... OR, a Motorway crossing under a road with a 30mph limit, will the GPS read 30mph and cause the car to slow ?

Thus: Automated speed control is just a matter of time - when the practical issues can be ironed out - by then, much of the driving will be automated anyway.

The question the begs: Can I be drunk if my car is driving itself ?

- at the moment, of course the answer is no... but in future, if you are a 100% passenger, then why not ?

As far as cars that can drive 200mph - thats marketing, and some cars can drive to track for fun, then drive home...   but just like drink driving, speeding is illegal...  Thus just because a car can go faster than the limit is no logical argument to justify going faster than the limit and thats the same with drink driving, just because you can, does not mean its ok to do so.

12 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

why is that allowed? 

It isn't exactly the speed that kills. It's driving too fast for your skill or if you are impaired.

8 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

why is that allowed? 

The EU have a safety regulation mandate being introduced July 7th this year that makes it compulsory for new vehicles to have Intelligent Speed Assistance installed.  Back to the main discussion, are we talking 2 beers or 10 beers? Regardless there will be some people who should never drive on 1 beer and there will be others that be quite capable after 3 or 4. This was the subject of discussion at my local a few years ago and the sentiment was roughly the same as it is here.  Then the local GP added his thoughts on the matter and introduced to the argument the number of 70+ year olds on medication that would render them just as dangerous on the roads.  I presume he would be under pressure for them to keep their licences due to his surgery being in the middle of nowhere.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

at the moment, of course the answer is no... but in future, if you are a 100% passenger, then why not ?

Yeah can’t wait for that.

load up the ice box in the car and drink in the car, it will be fantastic.

I seem to recall a couple of days ago you arguing with someone, as you like doing, who said that you should always check when reversing out for children. 
You said you never did. I always do, and always reverse very slowly for safety issues. 

I seem to recall that a child had actually died on that thread. 

The chances of either of us killing a kid are slim. 
But if I take precautions like I do I think the chances of you killing a kid are higher than me. 

And to all of us on this forum who will be going out and drinking tonight, please drive safely, stay off your phone and always check what is behind you when reversing.

• Like 1