Work permit with validity for 2 (or more) years?

Dear All,

While reading the threads, I came across information that a Work Permit can be issued (and extended) for a period of more than 1 year at a time. For example, I can apply for WP with validity of 2 years, and then apply for the extension for another 2 years. Soon I have to go through the process of applying for a new WP, so I'd like to save on agency fees in the future.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it really possible to request NEW Work Permit with validity of 2 years or more?

2. Are there any additional documents needed for that?

3. Can the Labor Dept deny such a request?

Could you advise please, as I want to find a proper way to do that.

I also checked "FORM WP1", it has fields such as "Period of Permission" and "Valid until" - is that what I need...?

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

I do not think the laws have changed for this. You can get a one year work permit with it easily extended yearly only. 

I may be wrong though. Your employer should know the current laws relating to this. 

You most certainly can get a 2 year work permit, I have one, (and no, I do not work for a BOI company).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Banky Bee said:

Dear All,

While reading the threads, I came across information that a Work Permit can be issued (and extended) for a period of more than 1 year at a time. For example, I can apply for WP with validity of 2 years, and then apply for the extension for another 2 years. Soon I have to go through the process of applying for a new WP, so I'd like to save on agency fees in the future.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it really possible to request NEW Work Permit with validity of 2 years or more?

I also checked "FORM WP1", it has fields such as "Period of Permission" and "Valid until" - is that what I need...?

Unless I'm mistaken the only people that can get a 2 year extension based on employment are people who work for BOI/IEAT companies (in bangkok that means you get your extensions at Cham Churi Square One Stop Service Center) 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

I do not think the laws have changed for this. You can get a one year work permit with it easily extended yearly only. 

I may be wrong though. Your employer should know the current laws relating to this. 

Work permits issued in conjunction with a Non-B (BOI) visa are two years. 

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Work permits issued in conjunction with a Non-B (BOI) visa are two years. 

BOI extensions are now up to 4 years, the law was updated either in late 2019 or early 2020.  When my company's agent partner and my local HR worked to renew my last work permit in 3/2020 I received a four year extension stamp until 3/2024.   I believe the size of our BOI registered Thai Trading company (revenue) and HR had a role in deciding how long to renew (e.g., 1,2 or 4 years).   Previous to that everyone at my company on a Non-B extension including myself was getting 2 years.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

Unless I'm mistaken the only people that can get a 2 year extension based on employment are people who work for BOI/IEAT companies (in bangkok that means you get your extensions at Cham Churi Square One Stop Service Center) 

Sorry Tod, but my 2 year work permit was issued up here in the sticks of Issan.    🙂

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

Previously I worked for a non-BOI/IEAT sponsored company and got my work permit from labour department in Din Daeng. Even I asked for 1 year they gave me 2 year extensions. I was doing it by myself. There was nothing special required. So 2 years you can definitely get, but I've never seen more than that.

EDIT: Just thinking... at that time I was under consideration for PR. Not sure that had anything to do with it, though.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Thumbs Up 1

Forgot to mention that I'm moving to the non-BOI company.

Good to know that there is a possibility of getting 2 year WP, as bigt3116 and tomazbodner mentioned. But still, I guess it depends on the Labor Dept decision.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

44 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

I got 4 years. Previously 2. But why does it matter? It's valid as long as you work anyway. 

There is quite a lot of paperwork to file each time and a long time to wait to get documents checked and accepted. It isn't exactly the best use of your time...

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Kalorymetr said:

I got 4 years. Previously 2. But why does it matter? It's valid as long as you work anyway. 

For me it means only having a medical every two years, and as I am scared witless of needles, it is one less needle.    🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Banky Bee said:

Forgot to mention that I'm moving to the non-BOI company.

Good to know that there is a possibility of getting 2 year WP, as bigt3116 and tomazbodner mentioned. But still, I guess it depends on the Labor Dept decision.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

Yeah non boi here... I get two year extensions.

Issued at One Stop Sriracha.

• Love It 1

22 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Sorry Tod, but my 2 year work permit was issued up here in the sticks of Issan.    🙂

I didn't say anything about a work permit in my reply 😉 Work permits are issued by the Ministry of Labor and even up in Nakhon Nowhere people can get 2 year work permits. 
I said EXTENSIONS OF STAYS are only issued for 2 years to BOI/IEAT company employees (and I meant that in Bangkok you get those at the Cham Churi Square OSSC office)

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

For me it means only having a medical every two years, and as I am scared witless of needles, it is one less needle.    🙂

I never got any medical for my WP.

Obviously I dont file the paperwork but company does. They schedule appointment. I come, wait 5 mins, sign,take pic. Go home. Yes commuting is a waste of time but on the other hand company gives me a day off. So I guess it's a win.

Edited by Kalorymetr

When I had an extended NonB visa and work permit, I could only get 1 year extensions in Bangkok.  I looked into the option of a two year extension and was told my company didn't qualify for that.  I don't remember the exact reason, but it was something like my company would have to have a lot more registered paid up capital to qualify to use the One Stop Service in Bangkok.  Since it didn't qualify, I had to go to the regular Dept of Labor and CW immigration for extensions, and could only get one year extensions.

Thankfully those days are over. Was able to switch to a 10 year LTR visa/5 year digital work permit which is administered by BoI/One Stop Service in Bangkok.

10 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

I didn't say anything about a work permit in my reply 😉 Work permits are issued by the Ministry of Labor and even up in Nakhon Nowhere people can get 2 year work permits. 
I said EXTENSIONS OF STAYS are only issued for 2 years to BOI/IEAT company employees (and I meant that in Bangkok you get those at the Cham Churi Square OSSC office)

Looking back you are correct, should wear my glasses when reading.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

So how do they do the VDRL (Syphilis) test? That is done by taking blood and testing it.

They check for signs and symptoms of tertiary syphilis (without testing) just like they don't test for any of the other diseases mentioned on the certificate (leprosy, elephantiasis, etc. etc.)

It's just a physical examination. 

Tertiary syphilis - by definition - has symptoms. It's not the asymptomatic phase of the disease (i.e. latent syphilis).

It's the final stage of the disease when symptoms have re-emerged (usually after 10-15 years) and it's gonna kill you in the most horrific way.

Check Google images to see what it looks like. No doctor would be able to miss it, lol.

Edited by FruitPudding

10 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Tertiary syphilis - by definition - has symptoms. It's not the asymptomatic phase of the disease (i.e. latent syphilis).

Very true, but they are internal, and they are tested for via a blood test, (at least that is what every website I can find on Google tells me).

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Very true, but they are internal, and they are tested for via a blood test, (at least that is what every website I can find on Google tells me).

Symptoms of tertiary syphilis include: blindness, paralysis, brain damage, stroke, organ failure, skin and bone destruction.

Most hospitals insist on doing the test either to make money or because they incorrectly think all stages of syphilis are not allowed for the work permit. Bumrungrad doesn't. 

Some labor offices insist on seeing the laboratory result. Bangkok labor office doesn't. 

Edited by FruitPudding

On 7/4/2024 at 4:27 PM, Banky Bee said:

Dear All,

I have a few questions:

I got a 2 year work permit before at my old job many years ago.

I don't think it's a new thing.