Vowing to Stay On, Biden Knows He "screwed up" Last Weeks Debate

Social Media

image.png.5f82f422570e7a81704b2a97fe9001e9.png

US President Joe Biden has acknowledged that he "screwed up" during last week's debate against Donald Trump, but he remains committed to staying in the election race and has moved to reassure key allies. In an interview with a Wisconsin radio station, Biden admitted to making a "mistake" with his stumbling performance, urging voters to judge him based on his tenure in the White House rather than his debate performance.

In response to reports suggesting he was reconsidering his candidacy, Biden worked to calm senior Democrats, including state governors and campaign staff, asserting his determination to remain the Democratic nominee. "I'm the nominee of the Democratic Party. No one's pushing me out. I'm not leaving," he said during a call with his broader campaign team, according to a source who spoke to BBC News. Vice-President Kamala Harris, who was also on the call, reiterated her support for Biden.

Despite speculation about whether Harris could replace Biden as the party’s candidate, Biden sent a clear message through a fundraising email: "Let me say this as clearly and simply as I can: I'm running."

Concerns about Biden's fitness for office have intensified following a debate characterized by verbal blanks and a weak voice. These concerns have been amplified by polling data showing a widening lead for Trump. A New York Times poll conducted after the debate indicated that Trump now holds his biggest lead yet at six points. Additionally, a CBS News poll showed Trump leading Biden by three points in key battleground states.

The polling data has been accompanied by public calls from some Democratic donors and lawmakers for Biden to step aside. Among them is Ramesh Kapur, a longtime Democratic fundraiser, who told the BBC, "I think it’s time for him to pass the torch. I know he has the drive, but you can’t fight Mother Nature." Representative Raul Grijalva of Arizona also suggested it was time for Democrats to "look elsewhere."

Despite the pressure, the White House and Biden's campaign have strongly denied reports that he is considering dropping out. Both the New York Times and CNN reported that Biden had confided in an unnamed ally about the precariousness of his re-election bid. However, a spokesperson dismissed these reports as “absolutely false.” White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre also refuted the claims, asserting that Biden is committed to defeating Trump in the upcoming election.

Biden met with a group of 20 state governors, including California’s Gavin Newsom and Michigan’s Gretchen Whitmer, both of whom have been mentioned as potential replacements should Biden step aside. Maryland Governor Wes Moore expressed solidarity with Biden, stating, "The president has always had our backs, we’re going to have his back as well." Despite Harris's poor approval ratings, her support among Democrats has increased since the debate, making her a likely successor if Biden were to step down.

Amid the speculation, Trump has shifted some of his focus to attacking Harris. In footage obtained by the Daily Beast, Trump is seen mocking Biden and suggesting that Harris would be "better" but still "pathetic." Harris, maintaining her role as a supportive partner, appeared on CNN after the debate to express her full support for Biden. "She has always been mindful to be a good partner to the president," her former communications director Jamal Simmons told BBC News. A source close to Harris confirmed that she would continue to campaign for Biden.

Members of the Democratic National Committee are responsible for officially nominating Biden at the August convention. One member, speaking anonymously, suggested that the nomination should go to Harris if Biden decides not to run, cautioning that opening up the convention would cause chaos detrimental to the party in November.

A report by the Washington Post highlighted that Biden and his team recognize the need to demonstrate his fitness for office in the coming days. Biden has planned trips to Wisconsin and Philadelphia and is scheduled to appear on ABC News for his first televised interview since the debate. His full interview with Wisconsin's Civic Media is also set to be published soon. While admitting to his debate performance mistake, Biden emphasized, "That's 90 minutes on stage. Look at what I've done in 3.5 years."

Credit: BBC 2024-07-05

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Good news for Trump. Biden is a shell of a man with a failed record.

How anyone could vote for 4 more years of this is astounding.

It's actually worse. 

They are voting for a few more months of this, plus the remainder of the 4 years headed by "Unburdened" Harris.  Good Lord. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Good news for Trump. Biden is a shell of a man with a failed record.

How anyone could vote for 4 more years of this is astounding.

“How anyone could vote for 4 more years of this is astounding.”

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American electorate.  All 81 million.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1