Chill.....!!!!!

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The Australian National gallery paid $1.3 million for it.

a lot of art is a complete joke.

pretentious people who act like they're more refined than the average person because they "get" art that others dont.

thats why someone literally made a move called "My Kid Could Paint That"

My Kid Could Paint That - Google Play ላይ ፊልሞች

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

what private show? where? you hobnobing with canadian royalty or what?

was wayne gretzky there too?

so would of been 1998. they were releasing a new album and announced a small surprise tour show special event thing. they picked 6 cities i think. they are from kingston so that was the first stop. all the shows were here in southern ontario promoting the new album with a very personal event in each town.

what they did was in the morning of the concert they would tell the local radio station that it was that night and tickets were on sale in starting in 10 minutes or whatever. 

just so happened that my friend was dating the manager of the nightclub next door to the place where the surprise concert was being held the next day. she found out through the people working there that it was one of the hip shows happening next day. her and my friend waited in front of the venue next to the nightclub all night until morning. when they announced the ticket sale my friend was one of the first in line. 

the venue at the time could hold max about 100 to 120 people. so i had gord downie playing his sets less than 10 feet from me.  

bobcaygeon is just up the road from me. quite beautiful up there. this is chill.....

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, stoner said:

so i had gord downie playing his sets less than 10 feet from me.  

interesting story.

the guy was a mad genius.

cryptic lyrics. also wrote songs about topics most people would never think about. 

and he was promoting awareness of indigenous groups towards the end of his life.

Edited by save the frogs

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

interesting story.

the guy was a mad genius. cryptic lyrics. 

and he was promoting awareness of indigenous groups towards the end of his life.

ya some of gords songs were in the same sort of universe as andy warhol. 

same manager girl got me VIP tickets to Molson Edgefest in Barrie. she told me one night at the bar to fill out the draw for the tickets. what do you know my name was called. for years i was dumb enough to think it was random. was piled at the bar when i won so didn't think anything of it.

wow was that a blast. so many huge names all playing at one venue. the tea party was heading that year. another great canadian band with a strange lead. jeff goes hard though. 

then i also got to see these guys in a very small show at my local college. was before they got big. didn't care for newer stuff though. without a doubt one of my favorite songs. more great canadian rock. 

10 hours ago, G_Money said:

“the compulsion to buy Yankee trash”

Please list the great accomplishments of Oz in the modern world compared to America.

I’ll start.

Australia

1.  Vegemite 

2.  Bondi Beach lifeguards

3.  Roo bars

4.  Crocodile Dundee

.5.  Steve Irwin 

6.  Extreme prejudice of the “darkies”.  Even to this day.

7.  Holden automobiles.  Never heard of outside OZ.

8.  Fosters beer

America

1.  The greatest achievements in the Industrial Revolution.  Standard Oil, US Steel, Ford, GM, Edison Electric.

2. Apple

4. Microsoft 

5.  NASA.  1st man on the moon.

6.  Military Industrial Complex.  For better or worse.

7.  Salk Institute 

Just to name a few.

You would think one would be more appreciated for the effort put out to keep you from speaking Japanese   The “Second Pearl Harbor” at Darwin was for a reason.  

Those “Yankee Trash “ diesel submarines based out of Fremantle did a fine job of keeping the Jap transports from disembarking troops onto the wide open WA shoreline.

It would have been game over.

You seem to forget we have been spending Australian blood and treasure in supporting your wars, from Korea onwards.

That dog won't hunt, your surveillance capabilities would have a huge hole without Pine Gap and North West Cape in Australia. We made ourselves a nuclear target with those two facilities.

In 1996, BHP bought Magma Copper for $3 billion. Ten years later, every mine in the portfolio was shut down.

The same company spent $20 billion on shale assets in the US in 2011, sold them about 8 years later for $10 billion.

Now we have some cockamamie deal to buy second hand nuclear submarines for $350 billion. This is after buying helicopters from you that keep crashing.

Americans must think Australians are mugs. It's hard to disagree with that viewpoint.

Australia invented the Jindivik pilotless aircraft, the first of its kind.

Atomic absorption spectrometers are a standard feature of analytical laboratories worldwide.

An Australian scientist, David Warren, invented the black box recorder present on all passenger aircraft.

Australia's PBS means nearly all prescription drugs ( month supply ) cost about $7. In America, you'll pay more than that for a single pill.

Australia is a world leader in medical research. You have Howard Florey to thank, for the penicillin used to cure your clap.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You seem to forget we have been spending Australian blood and treasure in supporting your wars, from Korea onwards.

That dog won't hunt, your surveillance capabilities would have a huge hole without Pine Gap and North West Cape in Australia. We made ourselves a nuclear target with those two facilities.

In 1996, BHP bought Magma Copper for $3 billion. Ten years later, every mine in the portfolio was shut down.

The same company spent $20 billion on shale assets in the US in 2011, sold them about 8 years later for $10 billion.

Now we have some cockamamie deal to buy second hand nuclear submarines for $350 billion. This is after buying helicopters from you that keep crashing.

Americans must think Australians are mugs. It's hard to disagree with that viewpoint.

Australia invented the Jindivik pilotless aircraft, the first of its kind.

Atomic absorption spectrometers are a standard feature of analytical laboratories worldwide.

An Australian scientist, David Warren, invented the black box recorder present on all passenger aircraft.

Australia's PBS means nearly all prescription drugs ( month supply ) cost about $7. In America, you'll pay more than that for a single pill.

Australia is a world leader in medical research. You have Howard Florey to thank, for the penicillin used to cure your clap.

You failed to mention Award Winning Journalists such as yourself.

Some good points but not as good as the USA ingenuity.  Fact.

Are you speaking Japanese?  You’re welcome 

8 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I like Aussies.

Especially Donks.  You do know what a Donk is, don’t you?

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2024 at 4:53 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

Mods can we do something about this poster? He is clearly here to spam and make nuffy threads

The forum has an ignore function.

On 7/5/2024 at 4:12 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

If you want to know what TAKE FIVE meant, back in the day, then just listen.

These two recordings are not the same.

Anyway, when I was young, I switched between Jazz and Underground Rock, on WMMR in Philly.

Those were the days....

I used to lie on my bed at night, just listening to WMMR, WWDB, using my HI-FI, with a tuner and an amplifier, and some decent speakers.

Late at night on WMMR, you could get some really great underground music.

Most reading these words do not know what underground music might have meant, back in the day.

It just meant:  The good stuff not available on AM Radio, that most people listened to in their cars, driving to pick up their laundry or buy groceries, or driving to the Country Club.

Very few people, then, knew much about underground music.

Even crappy music from Dylan, then, was not considered to be underground.

In case you do not know, WMMR was FAR different from what it now might be.

Wonderful DJs on WMMR, maybe back around 1967, or 1968....before we lost our freedom of the airwaves to the conglomerates....haha.

Now, all this stuff on YouTube really SUCKS....because.....

Why?

I know why.

Why should I even care to tell you why?

Regards....

Note:  Almost nothing to live for, these days, now that the arts have deteriorated, so far.....

Nobody likes Jackson Pollock, either...even though....

I do not know why.

They think he was just throwing around paint, without any purpose, or direction.

They know not much, obviously....

image.png.08936b7bd8132549b99fad0e83955761.png

I have no patience for NITWITS....

Photo is a classic. Clearly shows a mentally unstable mind.

6 hours ago, G_Money said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I like Aussies.

Especially Donks.  You do know what a Donk is, don’t you?

I do. I also know what dorks and d!ckheads are.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, G_Money said:

Award Winning Journalist is an interesting use of sarcasm. At least I can spell and use syntax correctly, tasks which are sometimes beyond you.

Google the Owen gun. A WWII light submachine gun, It was renowned for its simplicity of design, ease of manufacture, and performance in the most arduous jungle conditions.

• Sad 1

On 7/5/2024 at 5:22 AM, 2baht said:

I think it stands in the Australian National Gallery in Canberra.....you should go take a look!

museum-staff-Blue-Poles-Jackson-Pollock-1952.webp.561bd7b8730a78c8698ba2f6c4ff851d.webp

I once stood right there for a considerable period. It's one of those special art pieces that gets you in. 

"David" was another that kept me transfixed for some time. 

"Mona" surprisingly small and viewed over the heads of a few thousand Japanese tourists, didn't do much for me.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I once stood right there for a considerable period. It's one of those special art pieces that gets you in. 

"David" was another that kept me transfixed for some time. 

"Mona" surprisingly small and viewed over the heads of a few thousand Japanese tourists, didn't do much for me.

What did you think you saw?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Award Winning Journalist is an interesting use of sarcasm. At least I can spell and use syntax correctly, tasks which are sometimes beyond you.

Google the Owen gun. A WWII light submachine gun, It was renowned for its simplicity of design, ease of manufacture, and performance in the most arduous jungle conditions.

That’s all you got?

Who lands on the moon first?

Who created the software you needed to win your Award Winning Journalism Awards?

Who’s responsible for the greatest accomplishments in the industrial age?

9 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Armstrong, Scottish and German ancestry.

12 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Who created the software you needed to win your Award Winning Journalism Awards?

We could probably credit a few people: Charles Babbage, Englishman. Henry Mill, Englishman. Christopher Sholes - American, yay! and the German Steinhilper.

15 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Who’s responsible for the greatest accomplishments in the industrial age?

Hargreaves and Arkwright (English) back in the day; Watt's steam engine (Scottish); Fulton's paddle steamer (American); Faraday on his work with electricity (English); furthered by Edison (American) and Swan (English); Bell's telephone (Scottish, though lived adult life in America); internal combustion engine - Lenoir (Belgian); Otto and Daimler (German); Henry Ford for the T Model (American); Fleming for his work on penicillin (Scottish), furthered by Foley (Australian); Rosing (Russian), Braun (German), Campbell-Swinton and Logie Baird for the television (both Scottish).

Of course this is but a brief and biased selection given my background, there are many gifted people from many wonderful countries who have contributed much to our world. That includes Australia and the USA.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

Armstrong, Scottish and German ancestry.

We could probably credit a few people: Charles Babbage, Englishman. Henry Mill, Englishman. Christopher Sholes - American, yay! and the German Steinhilper.

Hargreaves and Arkwright (English) back in the day; Watt's steam engine (Scottish); Fulton's paddle steamer (American); Faraday on his work with electricity (English); furthered by Edison (American) and Swan (English); Bell's telephone (Scottish, though lived adult life in America); internal combustion engine - Lenoir (Belgian); Otto and Daimler (German); Henry Ford for the T Model (American); Fleming for his work on penicillin (Scottish), furthered by Foley (Australian); Rosing (Russian), Braun (German), Campbell-Swinton and Logie Baird for the television (both Scottish).

Of course this is but a brief and biased selection given my background, there are many gifted people from many wonderful countries who have contributed much to our world. That includes Australia and the USA.

How many centuries are you going back?

Everyone in America has ancestry.  

I’m talking citizenship.

Armstrong :  USC

Bill Gates:  USC.  Those others are not on any of Microsoft’s patents.

Last but not least.  How many of those chaps you mentioned are Australian citizens?

Edited by G_Money

31 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Bill Gates:  USC.  Those others are not on any of Microsoft’s patents.

Armstrong would not be the man he was without the influence and upbringing by his parents. Bill Gates couldn't have invented anything without the other guys.

35 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Last but not least.  How many of those chaps you mentioned are Australian citizens?

You missed my point entirely. You seem dismissive of the rest of the world -  not just Australia. I lived for the best part a decade in the USA and it is a curious attitude I sometimes encountered there (but by no means displayed by all Americans); it does you no favours.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, G_Money said:

these types of massive projects can more easily be achieved by large countries with the biggest economies.

small countries cannot compete in these types of projects because they dont have the resources

if australia had 300 million people, then it would be different.

21 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Yeah I think mine is broken, I've been trying to put Charlie H on ignore but it's not working 

They have  you figured out. I guess you can figure it out as your BS threads are beginning to disappear. Dude you really have to get a life. 

On 7/5/2024 at 4:31 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

Sympathy post for you mate 

Me, too!

Have warned before on the perils of posting late/inebriated ... nothing good happens after midnight! 🙂

He lauds what I consider dross 'lift music' (subjective and only my opinion) and then castigates what I, and many, consider a great artist. Nowt as queer as folk.

The 'nothing is good anymore' is a throwaway, old man syndrome line. A classic can be, and is, written at any time. One has to get out there and listen.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:05 PM, G_Money said:

“the compulsion to buy Yankee trash”

Please list the great accomplishments of Oz in the modern world compared to America.

I’ll start.

Australia

1.  Vegemite 

2.  Bondi Beach lifeguards

3.  Roo bars

4.  Crocodile Dundee

.5.  Steve Irwin 

6.  Extreme prejudice of the “darkies”.  Even to this day.

7.  Holden automobiles.  Never heard of outside OZ.

8.  Fosters beer

America

1.  The greatest achievements in the Industrial Revolution.  Standard Oil, US Steel, Ford, GM, Edison Electric.

2. Apple

4. Microsoft 

5.  NASA.  1st man on the moon.

6.  Military Industrial Complex.  For better or worse.

7.  Salk Institute 

Just to name a few.

You would think one would be more appreciated for the effort put out to keep you from speaking Japanese   The “Second Pearl Harbor” at Darwin was for a reason.  

Those “Yankee Trash “ diesel submarines based out of Fremantle did a fine job of keeping the Jap transports from disembarking troops onto the wide open WA shoreline.

It would have been game over.

😋 The Aussies won't like that.

Much of your successes/inventions are borrowed (or had a helping hand) from the Brits or Germans... the nuke enrichment, von Braun in the rocket, examples. Look in the history books for who did what.

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 4:12 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

If you want to know what TAKE FIVE meant, back in the day, then just listen.

These two recordings are not the same.

Anyway, when I was young, I switched between Jazz and Underground Rock, on WMMR in Philly.

Those were the days....

I used to lie on my bed at night, just listening to WMMR, WWDB, using my HI-FI, with a tuner and an amplifier, and some decent speakers.

Late at night on WMMR, you could get some really great underground music.

Most reading these words do not know what underground music might have meant, back in the day.

It just meant:  The good stuff not available on AM Radio, that most people listened to in their cars, driving to pick up their laundry or buy groceries, or driving to the Country Club.

Very few people, then, knew much about underground music.

Even crappy music from Dylan, then, was not considered to be underground.

In case you do not know, WMMR was FAR different from what it now might be.

Wonderful DJs on WMMR, maybe back around 1967, or 1968....before we lost our freedom of the airwaves to the conglomerates....haha.

Now, all this stuff on YouTube really SUCKS....because.....

Why?

I know why.

Why should I even care to tell you why?

Regards....

Note:  Almost nothing to live for, these days, now that the arts have deteriorated, so far.....

Nobody likes Jackson Pollock, either...even though....

I do not know why.

They think he was just throwing around paint, without any purpose, or direction.

They know not much, obviously....

image.png.08936b7bd8132549b99fad0e83955761.png

I have no patience for NITWITS....

Just what is proper music? If it is played by proper musicians playing proper musical instruments, whether it is Pop, Country, Jazz, Folk or Rock, and not computerised crap, then it is real music.

An example of real music and great vocals.

Edited by NoshowJones