BBL bank photo copies of Visa page.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mokwit said:

Of course it is still a step down from having your wife make any problem go away by just flashing her Government Employee ID.

When my wife got fed up with getting the run around by local government employees, she whipped out her phone and faked a call to her BiL who was a high ranking bureaucrat.  Soon, the irretrievable records were found and the "unresolvable" issue disappeared.

My wife had lived in the West for 40+ years by then and does not stand for lazy/incompetent gov't workers.

Edited by gamb00ler

5 hours ago, arick said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The banks, including BBL, have been doing it for years, it is nothing new, although you may not have been aware of the procedure.

I use them regularly never had that happen.

Perhaps they have special arrangements for you.  Regardless, how do you know that when they tale a copy of your passport, they don't take copy of your permission to stay, also?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's interesting hadn't heard of that.

Bit unrelated ...recent trip to CW for stamp transfer to new pp immigration demanded copy of my bank book pages showing compliance to financial requirements.

Never previously required. 

Happened to me in 2021 at CW

There was a thread about this at the time,  I was not the only one

Later others sometimes reported the same

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The banks, including BBL, have been doing it for years, it is nothing new, although you may not have been aware of the procedure.

Not correct. Went for a statement last week, only the first page of PP was taken for me to sign.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not correct. Went for a statement last week, only the first page of PP was taken for me to sign.

It is correct.  I had a new passbook issued this week and I saw both.   What makes you think your permission to stay (that doesn't need your signature) wasn't copied also? 

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Exactly.

Lot of nonsense in this thread.

Bank will require pp to photocopy identity page and have you sign.

As for VISA that's a nonsense.

Many folk here have bank account and visit on visa exempt or whatever. 

I have never had a bank look for current permission of stay.

Rubbish thread. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, arick said:

I recently went into Bangkok Bank to withdraw funds from a fixed account. instead of just taking a photocopy of the front picture of my passport they also were taking  copies of my Visa page.

I opened a fixed account in April and they copied my ID page and non-imm O stamp. I'm sure they would copy the same non-imm O stamp when I close the fixed account like you have done. (this is not just a withdrawal, you are transferring funds and closing an account)

Posted (edited)

I just went today. They copied the front and visa expiration page from passport and had me sign it before I could complete a withdrawal. This was at Bangkok Bank at Central Pinklao. It is something new, because I was not required to do this in the past. In fact, two months ago, when I went to the same bank, I withdrew 40,000 and they didn't require any copy of the passport pages. I asked why, and the teller said not needed on amounts below 50,000. But now it's needed.

Edited by John Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly.

Rubbish thread. 

I have had BBL staff copy picture page and also visa page, at a routine visit,  as a long- standing customer. 

Very obvious,  because a very small branch and you can see them making the copies.

I remember very well because it pissed me off.

And I had, not long ago, read on TV that they do this. So I was like " oh, they really do this"

I think they even made me sign both copies,  but I could be mistaken. 

Whether they always had done this before,  I don't know,  I never paid attention. 

I never understood why a passport is required for a withdrawal but not for a deposit.

I've tried making a withdrawal at my home BBK branch using just my valid Thai DL and bank book.....no chance......need passport. 

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly.

Rubbish thread. 

For at least the last three months my Bangkok Bank in Rayong has made copies of both when I made a withdrawal

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KannikaP said:

probably only doing it when you receive money

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
19 hours ago, khunjeff said:

They asked for that when I went there to transfer stamps more than four years ago,

At CW ?

Yes.

Edited by khunjeff

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's interesting hadn't heard of that.

Bit unrelated ...recent trip to CW for stamp transfer to new pp immigration demanded copy of my bank book pages showing compliance to financial requirements.

Never previously required. 

I'm relatively new around here but the thought strikes me that Immigration's digitisation process, now pretty advanced at CW, must be freeing up  staff time....so now they can turn their attention to other things. Like making sure people really are financially sound and not just using a dodgy visa agent?  

I've had extensive contact, two visits, with my BBL branch over the past three weeks, updating passport information, new phone, new phone number, re-enabling mobile banking, photograph, and facial recording (center, left, right, blink a few times).

They took my passport to a copier so I am unsure what they copied. But of the twelve signatures I had to provide, there was just the main/photo page of my passport which I was asked to sign.

21 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Is it possible to use the infamous pink ID card rather than a passport at Thai banks?

Depends on  the bank. I have had the pink card accepted at the main KBank branch I use, but not at another in the same province but different town. The KrungThai Bank always insist on my passport. I don't use the Banks counter service very often, its usually the bank app or the ATM.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

I've had extensive contact, two visits, with my BBL branch over the past three weeks, updating passport information, new phone, new phone number, re-enabling mobile banking, photograph, and facial recording (center, left, right, blink a few times).

They took my passport to a copier so I am unsure what they copied. But of the twelve signatures I had to provide, there was just the main/photo page of my passport which I was asked to sign.

They are probably only making a copy of the permission to stay stamp if you withdraw funds

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly.

Rubbish thread. 

'I have never had a bank look for current permission of stay.'

The fact that you have never had a bank look for current permission of stay doesn't mean that nobody else has. I HAVE, on multiple occasions. I have once been asked to sign the copy. Other times it appeared they were taking a copy of visa but not asking me to sign.

I have seen them just take a photocopy of the data page (SCB) but usually they copy both and  I have TWICE seen them check with manager about visa (sorry PERMISSION TO STAY, visa was stamped "used" ) and then photocopy that. SCB and BBL. Basically it seems they are supposed to copy visa but this being Thailand don't always do so.

My advice is don't expect to be able to transact at a bank without some kind of current visa/extension. You might get lucky, or they might refuse, or they might press the red button under the desk.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Depends on  the bank. I have had the pink card accepted at the main KBank branch I use, but not at another in the same province but different town. The KrungThai Bank always insist on my passport. I don't use the Banks counter service very often, its usually the bank app or the ATM.

The problem with using the pink card is that it is in Thai where your bank account is in English

Posted (edited)

I must say, that if banks never check your visa status how is it so difficult to open a bank account with a tourist visa?

Valid visa/extension seemingly now required for:

Bank branch  transactions.

Internal flights

even non extension business at L desk CW

registration as patient/Admission into Govt hospital.

Some hotels (I have had to explain my visa status).

This seems to be a move to make it more difficult to function here if not here with valid visa/ext.

Edited by mokwit
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Valid visa/extension seemingly now required for:

Bank branch  transactions.

Internal flights

even non extension business at L desk CW

Admission into Govt hospital.

Some hotels (I have had to explain my visa status

Outrageous scaremongering.

"Admission into government hospital" 

My Oz friend recently here here on visa exempt had medical episode and admitted to hospital. 

He is coming back in August on visa exempt.....I will pass on to him that since he does not have a visa or extension he won't get into hospital or be able to withdraw cash from his Thai bank account or take a domestic flight to wherever.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

38 minutes ago, flexomike said:

The problem with using the pink card is that it is in Thai where your bank account is in English

My Bank account at KTB is written in Thai letters same as on my yellow book or Pink ID, but had to show passport to open the first account at there. 
Omsin GSB similar, everything is in Thai, but for opening the first account I also had to show my passport. Withdrawals or anything at the counter it's OK to use the PinkID (which is more confortable to carry than a passport).

What is the big advantage of Pink ID against passport, the number not change. At least for my country every about 9 years, when I  have a new passport the number change and this makes it complicated to updates everywhere. The Pink ID number never will change (hopefully) so less problems with a changing number.

K-Bank I never used my passport in the last 4-5 years only showing them the pink ID when doing something at the branch. expect for opening a new account this is enough. about 4 days ago I opened a new account at K-Bank and they wanted extra the yellow book and my Thai tax ID (the small paper or at least a picture of it). This with the tax ID seemed new to me, and the bank personal told at this branch this is now mandatory.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Outrageous scaremongering.

"Admission into government hospital" 

My Oz friend recently here here on visa exempt had medical episode and admitted to hospital. 

He is coming back in August on visa exempt.....I will pass on to him that since he does not have a visa or extension he won't get into hospital or be able to withdraw cash from his Thai bank account or take a domestic flight to wherever.

I have been admitted into a govt hospital as an emergency. Before they would see me they required that I register and that required my passport, whether they checked visa status I couldn't see. Two people later came onto the ward ahead of surgery and asked for my passport. They went through it beyond the data page so I assume they were looking at visa status.

I checked in on a pre planned follow up surgery and at admission on the ward the ward sister specifically checked my visa status. SPECIFICALLY CHECKED MY VISA STATUS got it? On a subsequent admission on another ward it seemed not to be checked.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

visa exempt had medical episode and admitted to hospital. 

He is coming back in August on visa exempt.....I will pass on to him that since he does not have a visa or extension

This is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS to be so pedantic about Visa exempt vs visa or extension in this context. Everyone but you knew what i meant I am sure. Lets have little poll, shall we? Those who thought I was saying you won't be treated at Govt hospital with a visa exempt entry and that you need a visa or extension click the red "love it", those who thought i meant some kind of valid visa/extension/VE/VoA click purple "thanks"

You are the moderator with official responsibility for visa (and of course VISA EXEMPT and PERMISSION TO STAY vs USED visa) related threads like UJ was, right?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

It seems Bangkok Bank is making foreigners jump to a lot of hoops I'm glad they're not my major bank Kung Thai Bank doesn't do any of this stuff you can change your app to your new phone within a few minutes same with Kung Sri Bank

23 hours ago, DrJoy said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

BBL had the policy long before you say Prayuth mandated it.  I was a victim of the policy way before the coup when I inadvertently overstayed a couple of days and was denied a withdrawal from my BBL account until I was valid again.

You don't possess an ATM card ?

I didn't have a card available at the time (can't recall the reason, so had to make a counter withdrawal) but that is beside the point, I was denied access because my permission to stay had expired.

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't have a card available at the time (can't recall the reason, so had to make a counter withdrawal) but that is beside the point, I was denied access because my permission to stay had expired.

What you did was incredibly foolish. As an overstayer, at least make sure that you don't need to use your passport before you leave.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Caldera said:

What you did was incredibly foolish. As an overstayer, at least make sure that you don't need to use your passport before you leave.

The red button under the desk, a puff of smoke, and Lou muttering: Blimey, I didn't expect the Immigration Bureau*.

*Nobody expects the Immigration Bureau.

Edited by mokwit
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, flexomike said:

I don't see the problem. The bank teller can read Thai and the photo can confirm ID. There is also the addition of a signature, although that is no guarantee of ID, but there is a signature in the back of the bank book which is checked at the point of use.