Farage's Breakthrough: Reform UK Makes Waves with Four Parliamentary Seats

On 7/6/2024 at 2:29 PM, nauseus said:

No history of ridiculous rants from the new cabinet then?

Time will tell but so far they are just getting to grips with the dire state the country has been left in.  I have no love for Labour and won't hold my breath but there was an enormous gasp of relief once the Tories had finally been ousted.  This Labour is clearly Blair mark two but hopefully without the lies and bull!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You do know elections work on the basis of counting votes?

Yet 80% of the UK voting public did NOT vote labour, some landslide

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Totally irrelevant.

Labour have 411 out of 650 seats in Parliament.

Landslide!

Yes! We've got to keep those borders open! 

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Labor saving the country by keeping the borders open. 

What are you on about? 

Hang on a minute.

Have you forgotten the Tories lost control of the borders?

It’s one of the principal causes of their collapse in the polls and one of the key campaign platforms of Farage and his band of racists.

Oh and Labour.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Hang on a minute.

Have you forgotten the Tories lost control of the borders?

It’s one of the principal causes of their collapse in the polls and one of the key campaign platforms of Farage and his band of racists.

Oh and Labour.

Exactly. Labor can save the country from the rabid racist Reform party that wants to close the border.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

People turned down PR before now it suits them several smaller parties want it......the Greens and Lib Dem have always wanted it, now Reform do to  - I wonder why?

People didn't turn down PR before. The people (i.e. 90% of the population) had zero interest in or knowledge of FPTP versus PR. I don't remember a single person discussing it at the time!

It only really became a mainstream talking point when UKIP got over 4 million votes and zero seats. 

I can guarantee if the people got a chance to vote on PR now (after the debacle of the Lib Dems getting 60 odd seats versus 5 for Reform), the result would be very different. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

People didn't turn down PR before. The people (i.e. 90% of the population) had zero interest in or knowledge of FPTP versus PR. I don't remember a single person discussing it at the time!

It only really became a mainstream talking point when UKIP got over 4 million votes and zero seats. 

I can guarantee if the people got a chance to vote on PR now (after the debacle of the Lib Dems getting 60 odd seats versus 5 for Reform), the result would be very different. 

There was a national referendum! (I suppose it was for AV though) Turnout was 42% - higher than this election.

Have you done the math about the other parties yet?

when it comes to votes against seats the Greens did even worse than Reform..... but if you add Labour, Green and Lib Dem (Lefties) - it is WAAAAAYYY  more than Cons and Reform (Fascists)

Edited by kwilco

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The people (i.e. 90% of the population) had zero interest in

I stopped your quote there because that about sums it up. Some people had no interest in it until now. But the FPTP system began in 1950, not last Thursday, and predates UKIP by forty years.

The people (i.e. 90% of the population) had zero interest in or knowledge of FPTP versus PR. I don't remember a single person discussing it at the time!

There's your full quote. It's also wrong. 20 million people voted in the referendum. It was widely discussed in the news every day for months, focusing on AV, PR and FPTP. The Liberal Democrats received 22% of the votes in the 2010 general election campaigning for PR. 

after the debacle of the Lib Dems getting 60 odd seats versus 5 for Reform

The Lib Dems campaigned strategically for seats based on the current FPTP system - and it was a great success. They are the only major party to have vociferously campaigned over a sustained period of time for PR. Perhaps the 'debacle' is karma.

Edited by Pickwick
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Totally irrelevant.

Labour have 411 out of 650 seats in Parliament.

Landslide!

Mudslide.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

There was a national referendum! (I suppose it was for AV though) Turnout was 42% - higher than this election.

Have you done the math about the other parties yet?

when it comes to votes against seats the Greens did even worse than Reform..... but if you add Labour, Green and Lib Dem (Lefties) - it is WAAAAAYYY  more than Cons and Reform (Fascists)

What referendum?

When times get hard there is always a revival of the right - they seize te opportunity to offer simplistic solutions to simpletons 

fortunately in the UK and france it hasn't worked. However it is not time for the reasoned masses to rest on their laurels.

In America things are not looking so good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Exactly. Labor can save the country from the rabid racist Reform party that wants to close the border.

Labour couldn't save for a rainy day.

Ineffectual in opposition, let's see what they have in their bag of tricks.