Guests Rescued From Hotel During Fire

oh dear '    terrible tragic event ....  so sad for the tenants.  

I hope they can find the courage and strength to rebuild from this .... it's very sad when you see afire destroy their homes.

are donations needed.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That's one heck of a fire. The report does not mention injuries.

Hopefully everyone is safe and well.

The Bangkok Post reports that there were about 30 injured people. Most of them were senior citizens and suffered from smoke inhalation.

• Thanks 2

Thai media update.

“Police General Torsak Sukwimol, the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, has ordered the Metropolitan Police to integrate efforts with firefighters, Bangkok officials, and all relevant sectors to assist residents affected by the fire in the Phothi Community, Yaowarat Road.

Police General Torsak directed Police Lieutenant General Thiti Saengsawang, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, to ensure comprehensive support for the affected residents. This includes assigning investigators to assist with taking statements from those who suffered damages, facilitating the legal process, and deploying forensic units to the scene to determine the cause of the fire. Additionally, he emphasised the need to assess building safety and damages in collaboration with relevant agencies.

The Samphanthawong District has registered 264 residents as fire victims. Four temporary shelters have been established at:
1. Wat Samphanthawongsaram Worawihan
2. Wat Chai Chana Songkhram
3. Wat Traimitr Withayaram Worawihan
4. Meeting room at Wat Traimitr Withayaram Worawihan School

The police have been instructed to patrol and ensure the safety of life and property in the affected areas. Traffic police are managing traffic around the incident site and shelters to aid the affected residents.

At 10:30, forensic officers arrived at the scene to collect evidence and investigate the cause of the fire. However, the operation is challenging due to ongoing fires within the rubble, requiring continued water application in certain areas.”

https://www.fm91bkk.com/newsarticle/32941

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

In response to the fire, a royal sponsored kitchen has been set up at the Samphanthawong District Office this afternoon. The kitchen aims to offer meals and support to the fire victims and the officials working on the relief efforts.

Also Dr. Wanthanee Wattana, Permanent Secretary of Bangkok visited the administrative office with Admiral Kaneephol Songcharoen, Director of the Royal Volunteer Administration Centre,

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3721.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai media update on the fire investigation.

“Police Lieutenant General Trirong Piewphan, Commissioner of the Central Institute of Forensic Science, spent over an hour inspecting the site. He noted that the houses were closely built, with a mix of wooden and concrete structures. Initial investigations have narrowed down the point of origin of the fire, aided by witness testimonies, including video footage from a tourist.

“The suspected point of origin is a cluster of several houses. Due to structural instability and heavy debris, further inspections are required,” said Lt. Gen. Trirong.

Forensic and chemical-physics investigation teams are collecting electrical equipment and data from the site. The area believed to be the fire’s origin will need more thorough examination.

There were social media reports suggesting the fire started in a sweet shop undergoing renovations. Lt. Gen. Trirong explained that while the exact house is still unidentified, it is within a group of 3-4 houses. Detailed inspections will follow, including debris removal by the police and rescue teams.

As evidence collection continues, some areas still emit smoke due to the hot weather and wind, requiring repeated water application by firefighters. Authorities will assess safety before allowing residents to enter to retrieve their belongings.

Lt. Gen. Trirong emphasized the priority of gathering evidence promptly to enable investigators and ensure residents’ safety before restoring access to the affected area.”

https://workpointnews.com/around/news/NV779YG

The sad thing is that there are so many other places/areas in Bangkok that could suffer the same fate at any time. This isn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last. Can anything be done about it? Probably not, except raze entire neighborhoods, and even many of the residents would prefer to stay where they are.

Great to see the community pulling together. Reminds me of what I saw when I happened to be in London when the Grenfell fire happened. I went there 36 hours later expecting to spend 10 minutes and was there for over two hours. A photo is said to be worth 1000 words, but nothing can prepare you for the reality. It literally took my breath away. People still wailing, some sitting in silent reflection, so many helpers providing food and clothing. It's something I'll never forget. I imagine it was the same in this case, although no-one died this time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Fire in Bangkok’s Chinatown injures 30, damages hotel
by Mitch Connor

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of ข่าวพัทยา Pattayanews Facebook

A fire that ravaged the Trok Pho community in Yaowarat, Bangkok’s Chinatown, was brought under control late last night after igniting around 9pm. The blaze left approximately 30 people injured.

Firefighters received reports of the fire beginning at 8.42pm in the Trok Pho area along Yaowarat Road in the Samphanthawong district. The fire quickly spread through the 3,200-square-metre community, which housed around 30 wooden residences.

Approximately 40 fire engines were dispatched to the scene, and firefighters managed to control the flames by 11.16pm.

The fire also caused damage to a portion of the seven-story New Empire Hotel. Firefighters successfully evacuated guests using the bucket of a fire engine.

Around 30 individuals sustained injuries, primarily due to smoke inhalation, with most of the injured being senior citizens. No fatalities have been reported.

For public safety, a section of Yaowarat Road was closed from Chaloem Buri intersection to Odeon roundabout as firefighters continued to extinguish smouldering debris, reported Bangkok Post.

The incident affected roughly 280 people, many of whom sought refuge at Wat Traimit. Most of those displaced are workers from other provinces and neighbouring countries.

In related news, a fire erupted in the ventilation shaft of a prominent hotel in downtown Hat Yai, leading to chaotic scenes as staff and guests scrambled to evacuate. Officials are investigating the incident, initially suspected to be caused by an electrical short circuit.

At 7.30pm on June 25, emergency services were alerted to a fire at a well-known hotel on Sanehanusorn Road, within the Hat Yai municipality in Songkhla province. Firefighters from Hat Yai Municipality quickly responded, dispatching four fire engines to the scene.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered flames inside the hotel’s ventilation shaft, which measures over 1.5 metres wide. It took approximately 10 minutes to bring the fire under control, but during this time, thick smoke filled the hotel, causing panic among both guests and staff.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Still Unclear Where Chinatown Fire Started With 60 Houses Likely Gutted
by TNR Staff

image.jpeg

FORENSIC Police started investigating last night’s huge inferno at Trok Pho community on Yaowarat road but as yet are unable to determine exactly where it started amid difficult conditions with water still being sprayed at some spots to prevent the fire from reigniting, Thai Rath newspaper said this afternoon (July 7).

It is as yet unclear how many houses were burnt down with one report saying 30 but Praram Radio Centre put the total at 60. The blaze also spread to the New Empire Hotel damaging its fourth, fifth and sixth floors. Also damaged were the fourth and fifth floors of Chalermburi shark fin and Tai Cheng Hot Pot & Dim Sum restaurants.

This radio centre added that many of the houses that were gutted were made of wood and built close to each other with damage spread across one and 2 wah land plot.

Five men were injured in this big fire with one admitted to Hua Chiew Hospital after suffering an electric shock, two men were admitted to BMA General Hospital (Klang Hospital) for smoke inhalation while two others were also being treated at Taksin  and Samitivej Chinatown hospitals for the same condition but on outpatient basis.

Full story: THE THAI NEWSROOM 2024-07-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I've ventured through Chinatown many many times drinking tea, Dim Sum... Etc. 

LUCKILY... I mean Luckily no fatalities. 

• Confused 2

I am booked to stay for a week at the Pho Place Hotel in early August. I chose it because of its location and the relative quiet offered by its position down in an alley, which is obviously also a disadvantage in a fire. There was a mention of the hotel but only that the fire there had been contained. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Spock said:

I am booked to stay for a week at the Pho Place Hotel in early August. I chose it because of its location and the relative quiet offered by its position down in an alley, which is obviously also a disadvantage in a fire. There was a mention of the hotel but only that the fire there had been contained. 

In earlier post.

“The fire spread to the following structures:

•    New Empire Hotel (Building No. 572): Damage to the 4th, 5th, and 6th floors.
    •    Chaloem Buri Shark Fin Restaurant (Building No. 540): Damage to the 4th and 5th floors.
    •    Tai Seng Restaurant: Damage to the 4th and 5th floors.”

Google maps showing the affected area, your hotel, I believe, is at the bottom of the fire area.

IMG_3731.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

I think their fire tenders need an overhaul or the water pressure at the hydrant is particularly low. 

Looking at the videos, the amount of water and pressure to fight the fire is fairly pathetic.  One could piss harder than what's coming out of the hoses. 

Local authorities need to fix that problem before any other fire occurs.  I expect fire insurance companies will increase premiums as a result. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Very sad for anyone who was injured or lost everything but looking at the timeline, and give the complexity of the area pretty impressive for the firefighter to get the fire out in all of 2 3/4 hours from the original report.

• Agree 1