How can I tell what kind of visa stamp is which?

A land crossing is what kind of stamp & getting a consular visa is what kind of stamp? Flying in gets a stamp at the airport? Anything else? (I'm trying to determine how to cross into another country.)  I think I'd count from Jan. 1 2024 onward, but after that I don't understand.  Hope this is clear enough. I'm a US citizen. 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You either have a visa that is applied for in advance, or you have a visa exemption which means you get stamped in at the airport for 30 days (or whatever it is now). Do you have a visa?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Hope this is clear enough. I'm a US citizen. 

Why did you have to add that?🤣

If you applied for a tourist visa and it was granted you have that. If you have a long stay visa or permission to stay you have that. If you have a visa exempt entry you have that. You dang well should know. 

2 hours ago, cubism001 said:

A land crossing is what kind of stamp & getting a consular visa is what kind of stamp? Flying in gets a stamp at the airport? Anything else? (I'm trying to determine how to cross into another country.)  I think I'd count from Jan. 1 2024 onward, but after that I don't understand.  Hope this is clear enough. I'm a US citizen. 

1. Visa stamp

In your US passport, a visa is a stamp you got from a Thai embassy or consulate and has the word "Visa" on it and information about the type of visa and its issue and expiration dates. Nowadays, in many countries, including the USA, the Thai visas are sent electronically in a PDF file attached to an email message, ie no stamp in your passport.

2. Arrival stamp 

The arrival stamp put into your passport by an immigration official when you enter Thailand essentially shows the name of the entry point, the type of visa or visa exemption with which you arrived, the arrival date, and the date until which you are allowed to stay. Basically, this is your permission to stay.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Doesn't matter in the least if you come in by air or land ALL the stamps are the same AN ENTRY STAMP,  😮 

what varies is the "visa class" and the duration of stay you're allowed 🙂

Works like this;

If you show up here without a visa and enter visa exempt for 30 days you get a entry stamp that has ผ.30 on it

If you show up here without a visa and enter visa waiver for 30 days (not the same as visa exempt) you get an entry stamp that has ผ.ผ.30 on it

If you show up here without a visa and are from one of the 5 countries that get a 90 day visa waiver (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru & South Korea) you get an entry stamp that says ผ.ผ.90

If you show up here with a tourist visa for 60 days you get an entry stamp that has a TR60 on it

If you show up here with a valid Non-Immigrant VISA you get an entry stamp that says Non-O, B, OA, OX etc under the visa class area 

if you show up here on a re-entry permit from an extension of stay you get an entry stamp that says Non-RE under the visa class are

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Thanks 1