When is a foreigner considered a local in Thailand?

i walk around thailand in koh chang or phuket or i love bkk t shirts all the time. i always try to look like a lost tourist. i just listen. 

20 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Never...anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

a bit the same that your 20-30 years younger wife or gf loves you

only money and long con

best test is: honey, I lost my job / whatever... can you now support us for a while

You as a Foreigner will never be considered as a "Local".
I have been living on and off in a village in Thailand, for many years, where I have participated in many local events. I am considered to be part of the village community and treated with respect nd friendliness. BUT, I am still the Farung, and my house is known as the Bahn Farung (foreigner house)..

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, RSD1 said:

In my opinion, none of that changes anything, nor does the amount of time you've lived in the country for that matter. You can never change the fact that you are a foreigner on the outside and that you will always be viewed and treated as such by the locals.

This topic comes up often and I don't understand what exactly people are wanting. If you live in an area for long enough people will come to know to you as the local Farang. Are they wrong? What more do you want?

If there was a lone Thai person living in some village in Europe would you not see them as the local Asian? 

The question is, do you want to be Thai? I mean really deep down Thai inside and out. Is that really what you want? I personally don't and I don't think may others would want that either.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, john donson said:

a bit the same that your 20-30 years younger wife or gf loves you

only money and long con

best test is: honey, I lost my job / whatever... can you now support us for a while

Ha!

Odd that she bought the land the three bed house all out of her own money and has never asked me for a satang other than a contribution to our daily living costs....????

• Like 1

The Op is looking for some form of validation to his comments on a previous thread where is suggested that foreigners / non-Thai's will only ever be considered Tourists. 

He's changed the 'key' word in this thread from 'Tourists' to 'Local' with a simplified and somewhat binary argument which ignores the realities of the range of existences and how Thai's consider non-Thai's in Thailand. 

Firstly, even with a Thai citizenship, a Westerner will never be considered Thai - thats just too much to compute, Thailands immigration policy is just not yet multicultural enough for Westerners who have secured Thai nationality to be considered 'normal'... 

As far as being considered a local - Yes, Westerners can be considered local by Thai's - but always with a couple of attached 'caveats'...  and much of that depends on a number of factors for the Thai's around you and those with whom you interact... 

... These factors rely on location, behavior, dress, degree of interaction and how well you mix, who you are with etc (your partner and friends etc)... It all impacts how you are 'considered'... and there isn't a binary answer of Local vs non a Local...  there will be a spectrum of opinions on this which vary from Thai to Thai, from area to area when considering each and every one of us.

For example, you maybe considered 'a local foreigner'...   or everyone may already know you as 'Rick' etc.. 

You may be that familiar 'foreign' face that Thai's see around regularly and thus identify you as someone who lives in the area.... (thus not a passing tourist etc)...  So.. there are elements and degrees to which your localness may be considered. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Ha!

Odd that she bought the land the three bed house all out of her own money and has never asked me for a satang other than a contribution to our daily living costs....????

There will always be those who have only ever experienced 'being the ATM' and thus lack the experience, critical thought or vision to do anything other than project that everyone else's encounters and experiences mirror their own... 

I read this time and time again...  Where there is some sort of sarcastic comment along the lines of "everyone on this forum claims they are married to a hi-so Sino-Thai"...     

This seems to be born of some sort of jealousy or level of disbelief as they were only ever exposed to the poorer more financially challenged strata of society and ended up with limited dating options...   

The reality, particularly in Bangkok is that the relationships the cynical mongers post about on this forum are everyday occurrences of normal relationships here, but those being cynical won't see that in the area's they hang out.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There will always be those who have only ever experienced 'being the ATM' and thus lack the experience, critical thought or vision to do anything other than project that everyone else's encounters and experiences mirror their own... 

I read this time and time again...  Where there is some sort of sarcastic comment along the lines of "everyone on this forum claims they are married to a hi-so Sino-Thai"...     

This seems to be born of some sort of jealousy or level of disbelief as they were only ever exposed to the poorer more financially challenged strata of society and ended up with limited dating options...   

The reality, particularly in Bangkok is that the relationships the cynical mongers post about on this forum are everyday occurrences of normal relationships here, but those being cynical won't see that in the area's they hang out.

100% correct. There are just too many foreigners in this country, that will never see, realize and understand what is behind the big curtain of just being an ATM. The most sad of it all, is that they seem to accept it as they stay and pay. The moaning that goes on here, is probably hidden from their wifes. 😉 

When I saw this thread, and who was behind it, of course I also realized it was another way to get the answers he wished for in the last thread. So, all our work delivering the facts, is just once again falling for deaf ears. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Brock said:

You as a Foreigner will never be considered as a "Local".
I have been living on and off in a village in Thailand, for many years, where I have participated in many local events. I am considered to be part of the village community and treated with respect nd friendliness. BUT, I am still the Farung, and my house is known as the Bahn Farung (foreigner house)..

It´s amazing! What is it you want from them? That you are the Farang, and they call you house Bahn Farang, has nothing to do with your integration. It´s just their way to easily talk about you and identify you for all people in, and who are visiting, the village.

They know you well by know, they treat you with respect, you are considered a part of the village and they are friendly to you. Is that not enough for you to feel welcome and local? What does it take? Do they need to lay down, kiss your feet, pray to you and call you khun Thai?

It´s ridiculous how you and so many more on this forum, demands and demands. What are you giving to all the people you demand so much from? What can you contribute with? You are just a bunch of moaners that will never understand how Thailand really works. The reason for that, is that most of you guys never got more far than the barstool. In that place YOU will ALWAYS be and ATM!

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Myran said:

A foreigner will never be a local. You can live here for 50 years, speak fluent Thai, and have citizenship, but you still won't be a local.

Totally depends on how you look at the meaning of local.

If you look at it like becoming a Thai person, it will not be possible without very modern gene manipulation, and therefore you see yourself as naturalized but still on the outside. Very sad, that you didn´t have the tools nor the interest to integrate more.

If you look at it like living in a place for long time, having genuine friends around you, socializing with Thai people on their terms related to culture and social norms as well as rules in society for the country you chose to reside in. Having people coming over talking, with children that plays with your children and much much more. If you think that is being accepted as a local on equal social and cultural terms? Yeah, then you guys also would have a chance to understand and feel at home. Unfortunately too many of you have miles to go, to come to that point. The vast majority of you will never reach that understanding.

Edited by Gottfrid

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

A foreigner will never be a local. You can live here for 50 years, speak fluent Thai, and have citizenship, but you still won't be a local.

Binary thinking... 

I visit my home town a couple of times per year...   Its been so long since I was 'actually a part of the community' that I am probably not considered a local anymore... even though thats where I was born and grew-up...  

So many new families have moved in - if I were to return I would be the new-guy and it would take me a while to become local.... 

... in this context 'local' is associated with familiarity amongst those others in the community and local area. 

In Thailand it is possible for a foreigner to be a familiar face amongst the community and local area and be treated as part of the community and live a perfectly 'normal' lift.

- if this is not considered being a 'local' then the 'self-set' guidelines of some are concentring on aspects of 'being Thai' to draw their opinion while rigidly avoiding the realities that non-Thai's can and do fit in with their community, are respected and considered 'part of the landscape'.. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

'Local' to me means living life here as a I would in the UK.

Do we have Thai friends we can call to pick up our son from school if we are too busy ?

Do we go on holiday with other Thai families / friends ?

Do we regularly visit the houses of other Thai families / friends and they ours ?

Are we recognised in the local (community) shops etc and area's we frequently visit ?

There's much more to it than above - but some of the above points highlight that we live life here as locals... Does the word local actually matter ???..... 

... It has no legal, cultural or social consequences - people judge us and treat us on an individual basis unless we are in an area of significantly high tourist footfall in which case we are perhaps more anonymous and treated under generalised consideration rather than individual merit - in much the same way Thai's would treat each other in busier areas.

Edited by richard_smith237

You will never be considered a local as you are not Thai. Same in many countries. That doesn't mean that the locals wont be pleasant to you as they will if you are decent with them.

If you really care about being considered a local then stay in your country of birth.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 11:29 AM, RSD1 said:

Never. Local is where you’re from, not where you’re at. Example: Bkk people come up to cm and setup shops, they are obviously not local lanna people. Certainly Thai folks are not in any way consider a foreigner local, no matter what level of delusion one immerse themselves in, oh…got Thai citizenship? Sorry, still not local even though it makes you feel it-5-5-5. I know a person in cm of European descent born and raised in cm and speaks fluent mueang, he is local, you wannabes are not. Really now, get real already. It’s quite amazing how some get carried away by their wild delusions.

Edited by novacova
  • Like 2

Hi, if a french person moves to germany, does (s)he ever become german? (Yes he may get german nationality, passport etc. officially, but does (s)he become german?). Same with germans moving to the states, italians moving to spain (maybe their mentality is close to each other but still?).

We are not thai and will not become thai before we are born again 😉

FYIO: I have come to Thailand for decades, do not speak much of the lingo but tried from the start, etc etc

I am sure you may get accepted, respected and treated as a part of the community if you act like a part of the community.

Everybody who still picks on the "you will be an ATM forever" thing may have got one of those wrong: 1 Maybe you measure people, yourself or everything by the means of money and think the whole world is alike. 2 You actually got the wrong people around you. Did you choose them to be with you? 3 It is no charity: If you live in your homecountry, do you get everything for free? Aren't the bills actually higher there? 4 Maybe deep down in your ...you enjoy being the rich one and need to proof it to yourself. Enjoy. (do not feel superior. you are not. you got that wrong. 😉 ) 5 Once the italian actor of "life is beautiful" who wasn't successful and suddenly became famous was asked about his familiy and money. He answered: when you are poor, you always think about money. If your are rich, you ONLY think about money. 6 You obviously hev not realized a lot of things that are important to Thais besides or even more than money.

Look at the man in the mirror and consider any case individually.

Almost always i felt welcomed.

6 hours ago, novacova said:

Never. Local is where you’re from, not where you’re at. Example: Bkk people come up to cm and setup shops, they are obviously not local lanna people. Certainly Thai folks are not in any way consider a foreigner local, no matter what level of delusion one immerse themselves in, oh…got Thai citizenship? Sorry, still not local even though it makes you feel it-5-5-5. I know a person in cm of European descent born and raised in cm and speaks fluent mueang, he is local, you wannabes are not. Really now, get real already. It’s quite amazing how some get carried away by their wild delusions.

So in your 'version' of local.. someone has to be born in the area (or living in the area from birth) to be considered local?

Or, could there be a 'cut off age'... say 10 years old ? after which they are not considered local ?.. 

What about their parents if they moved somewhere where the child may be considered local because they were born there, but the parents moved there in adulthood ???

This 'rabbit hole' is getting deeper, when the big question is 'does it really matter' ?...   as long as we are happy in our area then is there any issue at all ?

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So in your 'version' of local.. someone has to be born in the area (or living in the area from birth) to be considered local?

Or, could there be a 'cut off age'... say 10 years old ? after which they are not considered local ?.. 

What about their parents if they moved somewhere where the child may be considered local because they were born there, but the parents moved there in adulthood ???

This 'rabbit hole' is getting deeper, when the big question is 'does it really matter' ?...   as long as we are happy in our area then is there any issue at all ?

I think I'm a better judge than most on this issue. Firstly I own 2 properties in my wifes name off course. We own a nice house in a large estate 38 kms from the centre off Bangkok city. We also own a condo in Pattaya, I'm a total nobody in Pattaya which is fine but my Bangkok house area is much different. On my 90 minute daily walks many people say good morning   or sawadee krub. I'm sure if we spoke a common language I would make personal friends there. Thais are the Worlds greatest talkers amongst themselves and they soon get feed back from your neighbors what sort of person you really are. I even get called by my first name. As I've been married for 22 years pussy bars and getting on the piss all day don't interest me. I prefer living in my Bangkok property rather than Pattaya which is nothing like it was 25 years ago when it was a fun place instead of a rip off place like it is now.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A friend in the US migrated and obtained legal US citizenship about 45 years ago USC graduate, though she’s integrated well, it’s quite obvious she’s not local, her daughter born and raised in the US is a local, obviously by talking with her, she’s an absolute California local. You imports really wannabe be but you ain’t. Speaking of which, why would anyone ever want to be something that they are not? Does it really matter? No not at all, people have the right to think and feel as they wish no matter how silly it is.

1 hour ago, Mason45 said:

I think I'm a better judge than most on this issue. Firstly I own 2 properties in my wifes name off course. We own a nice house in a large estate 38 kms from the centre off Bangkok city. We also own a condo in Pattaya, I'm a total nobody in Pattaya which is fine but my Bangkok house area is much different. On my 90 minute daily walks many people say good morning   or sawadee krub. I'm sure if we spoke a common language I would make personal friends there. Thais are the Worlds greatest talkers amongst themselves and they soon get feed back from your neighbors what sort of person you really are. I even get called by my first name. As I've been married for 22 years pussy bars and getting on the piss all day don't interest me. I prefer living in my Bangkok property rather than Pattaya which is nothing like it was 25 years ago when it was a fun place instead of a rip off place like it is now.

It doesn’t make you any less of an import. 

8 hours ago, Myran said:

My mate Nate is local

• Haha 1

Never - you are always and forever a "guest temporarily visiting." 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Even for thais to move to a new village, they are not reckonized as locals. 

Quite universial actually, and moving around in smaller towns and cities in Europe, exactly the same, you will never be a local no matter what you contribute with. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1