Alec Baldwin's Pretrial Hearing Sets the Stage for a High-Profile Manslaughter Trial 9 July

image.png.a356b871ed0aeb59391bb58cb00c3318.png

A pretrial hearing has laid the groundwork for Alec Baldwin's upcoming involuntary manslaughter trial, stemming from the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the Western movie "Rust." Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer of New Mexico is overseeing the proceedings, where she will consider various motions from both the prosecution and defense that could shape the evidence, testimony, and arguments presented to the jury. The pretrial hearing in Santa Fe is expected to be extensive, lasting most of the day, and Baldwin's attorneys have secured a waiver for his presence at all pretrial hearings.

The trial, set to commence on July 9 with jury selection, is anticipated to span ten days. A significant development last week saw the judge permitting key firearms experts to testify for the prosecution, focusing on Baldwin's handling of the revolver and the firearm's functionality at the time of the incident. Baldwin's defense team is seeking to exclude evidence related to his role as a co-producer on "Rust," arguing it is irrelevant to the negligence charges and could confuse the jury. Prosecutors counter that Baldwin's prominent position as a producer likely contributed to a reckless disregard for safety protocols, thus making it pertinent to the case. Disagreements also extend to Baldwin's contractual authority over crew members responsible for weapons and safety.

The prosecution aims to bar findings from a state workplace safety investigation, which reported serious violations on the set, arguing the investigation was incomplete and unreliable. Baldwin, charged with a single felony count of involuntary manslaughter, faces up to 18 months in prison if convicted. The film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was previously convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Hutchins' death and received an 18-month prison sentence, which she is currently appealing.

Baldwin Set Shooting

The fatal incident occurred in October 2021 during a rehearsal where Baldwin, performing a cross-draw maneuver, accidentally discharged the revolver, killing Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza. Baldwin has pleaded not guilty, claiming the gun fired accidentally after he followed instructions to point it at Hutchins, who was behind the camera. He maintains he pulled back the hammer, not the trigger, and was unaware the gun contained a live round.

Baldwin Set Shooting

In another significant motion, Baldwin’s attorneys are pushing to exclude any reference to the 1993 death of actor Brandon Lee, who was killed by a makeshift bullet left in a gun while filming "The Crow." Prosecutors have agreed not to mention Lee's death but argue Baldwin should have been aware of the inherent safety risks posed by firearms on set, even in the absence of live rounds. Baldwin’s defense contends it was unimaginable that live rounds would end up on the set of "Rust."

Additionally, prosecutors wish to exclude a letter signed by "Rust" crew members disputing claims that the set was chaotic or dangerous before the shooting. They also seek to prevent the defense from using the conclusions of the safety investigation that primarily blamed assistant director Dave Halls, who has pleaded no contest to negligent use of a firearm and may testify at Baldwin's trial. Despite these objections, Baldwin's defense argues that the investigation's findings should be admissible and that state occupational safety officer Lorenzo Montoya should testify.

Baldwin Set Shooting

The pretrial hearing also addressed potential inflammatory rhetoric between the prosecution and defense. Prosecutors requested that accusations of "prosecutorial misconduct" and personal attacks be excluded from court proceedings. Furthermore, they asked the judge to bar any evidence or arguments aimed at eliciting sympathy for Baldwin, including expressions of remorse or the impact of the events on his family, stating these factors do not pertain to determining his guilt.

As Baldwin's trial approaches, these pretrial rulings will significantly influence the court's proceedings, setting the stage for a high-profile legal battle over the tragic events on the set of "Rust."

Credit: ABC News 2024-07-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I haven't been following this that closely but from what I have read none of it was his fault.  He was simply handed a gun on a movie set that he was told had blanks and it went off during rehersal.  The person really responsible has already been prosecuted.  What am I missing?

He pointed a loaded gun at somebody and pulled the trigger. The gun didn't simply go off as that is impossible. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I haven't been following this that closely but from what I have read none of it was his fault.  He was simply handed a gun on a movie set that he was told had blanks and it went off during rehersal.  The person really responsible has already been prosecuted.  What am I missing?

I agree with you yes he pulled the trigger on a gun that the armorer was supposed to get ready it was an accident with the fault of the accident solely on the armorer a tragedy and sad 😞 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

He pointed a loaded gun at somebody and pulled the trigger. The gun didn't simply go off as that is impossible. 

He was handed a movie set gun on a movie set.  He was practicing pointing and shooting the gun.  Do I really need to point out the obvious that he pulled the trigger?  🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, shdmn said:

He was handed a movie set gun on a movie set.  He was practicing pointing and shooting the gun.  Do I really need to point out the obvious that he pulled the trigger?  🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

You obviously need to brush up on the case before you talk to people like morons. Can you tell me what makes this a movie set gun as opposed to a gun? Baldwin was the producer and was supposed to follow protocols on movie sets that prevents this from happening. The fact that he pointed a gun directly at somebody, pulled the trigger and killed them is why he is on trial.

I pointed out that he pulled the trigger because your first assertion was the gun somehow "went off" which is what Baldwin himself tried to claim. He is on tape saying he didn't pull the trigger which was how he first tried to deny culpability.

He killed somebody that is why he is on trial.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I heard somewhere that Baldwin was waving the gun around like an idiot pretending to shoot everyone on set before filming started so I guess this will come out in the court and he will get whatever he deserves.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

I heard somewhere that Baldwin was waving the gun around like an idiot pretending to shoot everyone on set before filming started so I guess this will come out in the court and he will get whatever he deserves.

They should have collected a hair sample to test for drugs. any positve result would mean the studio he produces for has no license to legally have a fire arm.

Edited by Cryingdick

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Exactly. They weren't even filming, he was just 'goofing around'. No need to point it at someone and pull the trigger. 

If someone handed me a grenade and told me it wasn't live, I wouldn't pull the pin out and throw it into a crowded room. If I did, and it turned out it was live and blew up 10 people, would I be innocent?

There were previous safety incidents on set that led to people resigning. He was one of the producers (although the judge has already decided this is not relevant for some bizarre reason), he pointed it at someone and pulled the trigger without reason and without checking. He's guilty as the day is long. But this is the same US justice legal system that found OJ not guilty so anything could happen in their corrupt courts. 

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Did he know it was "loaded" with real ammo, or was it a film prop weapon with a paid safety minder present....?   🤔

1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

You "heard", he was waving the film prop around like an idiot, who told you.......Mickey Mouse...............🤭

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, transam said:

Did he know it was "loaded" with real ammo, or was it a film prop weapon with a paid safety minder present....?   🤔

All guns are considered loaded if you do not check it yourself. Trans take this gun it isn't loaded. Do you not check? Thats the legal liability you have as a producer. The bare minimum.

it keft a corpse so i am guessing it wasn't a toy.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

aaaaand action.

• Agree 1

Just now, Cryingdick said:

All guns are considered loaded if you do not check it yourself. Trans take this gun it isn't loaded. Do you not check? Thats the legal liability you have as a producer. The bare minimum.

Like a film prop, or a gun replica you can buy on Lazada..........🤗

Perhaps he was convinced it was a prop, as the paid safety said so...........😉

Films would be very boring if film prop guns were not allowed to be pointed, eh.........😉

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Like a film prop, or a gun replica you can buy on Lazada..........🤗

Perhaps he was convinced it was a prop, as the paid safety said so...........😉

Films would be very boring if film prop guns were not allowed to be pointed, eh.........😉

You don't seem able to discern what a gun or firearm does or what its capabilities are. You wouldn't make a good witness and would confirm everything I just said. 

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

You don't seem able to discern what a gun or firearm does or what its capabilities are. You wouldn't make a good witness and would confirm everything I just said. 

I know what a film prop given to anyone by safety as a prop is........😉

I have owned real revolvers, so I know about gun safety with real guns in a safety environment, not props on a film set..🤠

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I know what a film prop given to anyone by safety as a prop is........😉

I have owned real revolvers, so I know about gun safety with real guns in a safety environment, not props on a film set..🤠

Any chamber that delivers a lethal shot is a gun.there is a body to prove that.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

I heard somewhere that Baldwin was waving the gun around like an idiot pretending to shoot everyone on set before filming started

Did you hear that on FOX "News" or was it a Tabloid? As reliable accounts do not mention that at all. Still if you want to spout BS, this is the time to have at it. Right wing ratchet heads are obsessed by Baldwin. Guy's best movie was twenty five years ago - woops - thirty five years ago; Miami Blues, but I have heard, the skits he did on SNL caused outrage & gnashing of teeth on the right. 

Crazy? Yeah. However it does give right wingers something to scream about as pedophile pizza parlors fade into the right wing group howl sunset.

Edited by Dcheech

Just now, Dcheech said:

Did you hear that on FOX "News" or was it a Tabloid? As reliable accounts do not mention that at all. Still if you want to spout BS, this is the time to have at it. Right wing ratchet heads are obsessed by Baldwin. Guy's best movie was twenty five years ago; Miami Blues, but I have heard, the skits he did on SNL caused outrage & gnashing of teeth on the right. 

Crazy? Yeah. However it does give right wingers something to scream about as pedophile pizza parlors fade into the right wing group howl sunset.

i am nit the ine on trial for killing somebody or exposed to the lawsuits that brings. You call me a rabid right singer when i am actually on the side of enforcing gun laws so more people don't needlessly die as a result of nonsense  like this.

Suddenly it is offensive that you prosecute gun charges? I want wvery gun crime charged as a felony every last single one.

When I think about this I think if someone handed me a gun and told me it was not loaded, would I point it at my own temple and pull the trigger without checking.

The answer is No. So why should it be OK to point it at someone else and pull the trigger without checking? Unless of course you are a self entitled narcissist like Baldwin...

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

When I think about this I think if someone handed me a gun and told me it was not loaded, would I point it at my own temple and pull the trigger without checking.

The answer is No. So why should it be OK to point it at someone else and pull the trigger without checking? Unless of course you are a self entitled narcissist like Baldwin...

Or you are on a movie set….a western no less handed a prop from the weapons master……it was a tragic accident on Baldwins part it’s the prop master who is culpable.you would be an idiot to point a gun at your temple even if YOU checked it yourself or pointed it at another…unless it was part of the movie being produced.it was an unfortunate accident no more no less a tragedy 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Tug said:

you would be an idiot to point a gun at your temple even if YOU checked it yourself or pointed it at another…unless it was part of the movie being produced

In that case Baldwin is indeed an idiot. Because he pointed it at the cinematographer and pulled the trigger.

The cinematographer was not an actress in the movie. He wasn't practicing the scene. He literally pointed it at one of "the help" and pulled the trigger. May as well have been a cleaner or a tea boy. Or his own temple. Absolutely no need to it as part of the movie. 

But thanks for pointing that out. 

Posted (edited)

I haven't kept up because the case has become so "he said, she said"  But I recall from early in the news cycle that some of the staff was practice shooting with live ammo during idle time (or after hours?). 

The scenario I had put together in my mind is that they came back from lunch offsite just before "it" happened.  Which made me suspect that maybe some staff members who didn't go to lunch with them loaded up some pistols and practiced shooting during lunch (probably in violation of safety rules).  And they either forgot to unload the live ammo, or the crew got back unexpectedly and they didn't want to get caught out breaking the safety rules, so they just put the pistols down.

Can anyone comment on the probability that's what happened?  I don't have the give-a-dam to go back over months and months of testimony and thousands of pages of media coverage.  Hoping someone here has kept up with it and their brain didn't leak like mine does.

Bottom line, who brought the live ammo on set, and why?  I'm still not clear on that.  I'm not a fan of Baldwin as a human being (though I like some of his movies), but I don't see too much fault on his part if he thought it was a prop gun, handed to him by an armorer who declared it safe. 

Also begs the question why they they don't make prop guns that just won't fire live ammo.  Seems like a cheap modification to the barrel (semi-auto or derringer) or cylinder (revolver) to prevent a full length shell from even loading.

Edited by impulse

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

But I do, I even remanufactured my own ammo........😉