Minister Supamas Acts Swiftly Amid University Degree-Buying Scandal

snoop1130

It doesn't matter ... withe no fail law in Thailand everybody will pass anyway every year.....Only need to have attending classes.. In some schools even teachers are not allowed to give grades lower than 2,5 even to the never working students.... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The minister stressed that the ministry will undertake an in-depth investigation of the university. She pledged that, should the allegations be validated, the university's administration could be subject to legal action and potentially lose its license.

Hmmh, how deep will be the so called investigation? Up to what size of brown envelopes? 😇

It is any wonder that any Thai 'qualifications' are not trusted by overseas universities or companies? I believe that US universities insist that Thais take an entrance exam, no matter if they 'appear' to be qualified.

And I know a secretary who worked for a prestigious school in Sydney at which a couple of Thai brothers were studying. They failed their exams, insisted they be given passes otherwise Daddy would remove them and their fees from the school, and the school waved them goodbye.

My wife also studied at a Bangkok university to teach English. She showed me an exam paper she was given, and on just one page there were around 15 errors. I corrected the paper, she gave it to the professor, who simply threw it in the bin.

• Agree 2

How swiftly was this minister on the case exactly? 

The government took over the University in 2023 because of this cheating, so presumably it had been going on for a long time before 2023. Not swift at all.

Posted (edited)

And now we have a beauty product sales lady, with a degree in business Admin, from an online uni in the Senet who looks like a ghost. ...............:crazy:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It doesn't matter ... withe no fail law in Thailand everybody will pass anyway every year.....Only need to have attending classes.. In some schools even teachers are not allowed to give grades lower than 2,5 even to the never working students.... 

Yes I worked for the big chain of private schools and we were told to keep testing till they pass??  No more teaching just the same test till they pass lol,  ie you dont go home till they magically come up with the correct answers.............get it!

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Agree 1

When I was teaching in Bangkok, I refused to alter exam results and told the principle, "if you want to change then go a head, I won't ". I would not be involved in insulting my students who tried by passing those who didn't care or try. I would do everything I could in helping my students who tried their best by designing tests that helped them. I read out every test result. My greatest joy was a term test I made, there were prizes for Boy's 1st,2nd,3rd and girl's 1st,2nd,3rd and seeing the pride and joy on the faces of students who struggled academically but put in so much effort win, wow! And the pride their parents had when they collected their prizes..... 

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I worked with enough students with a degree from Thai universities to know those degrees do not mean the person has even the basic knowledge of whatever they studied.

Obviously, there are also students who know what they are doing. But on paper they just have the same useless degree. 

Absolutely correct!

Most TiT University "Degrees" are not worth wiping it. 

Exceptions confirm the rule.

Everybody knows it, the government anyway.

That's the reason why, after paying for the degree, the "academics" have to "pay" for a decent job within the "official" kleptocracy structures.

In the private sector, the fruits hang a bit higher. Same, same, a little different.

Not high enough, to change this imploding system, and the declining performance of the economy. Structural, and educational failures are taking their toll in the long run.

With, or without tourists.