Persistent Global Warming Breaches Critical Threshold for a Year, Copernicus Data Shows

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

Dr. Friederike Otto, a climate scientist at Imperial College London's Grantham Institute, noted a high probability that 2024 could surpass 2023 as the hottest year on record. She pointed out that while El Niño is a naturally recurring phenomenon that cannot be prevented, the continued burning of fossil fuels—oil, gas, and coal—can and must be stopped to combat climate change.

People like that amuse me muchly.

They come out on interviews with nonsense about stop using fossil fuel, but never say how that could be achieved. They also never say if it would actually work, and IMO they don't know if it would work, or if it did do something just what that would be.

Do those muppets know now many ICE vehicles are out there on the planet, and how they could all be replaced, and how long it would take to replace them, and how the vehicle owners could afford to do so, and where the raw materials would come from to convert the billions of ICE vehicles to an alternative?

Must be great living in some alternate universe.

The irony is that without fossil fuel, those muppets would still be riding in horse drawn carriages, using whale oil for lighting, and would never have a cushy job like they do

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They come out on interviews with nonsense about stop using fossil fuel, but never say how that could be achieved. They also never say if it would actually work, and IMO they don't know if it would work, or if it did do something just what that would be.

Do those muppets know now many ICE vehicles are out there on the planet, and how they could all be replaced, and how long it would take to replace them, and how the vehicle owners could afford to do so, and where the raw materials would come from to convert the billions of ICE vehicles to an alternative?

The irony is that without fossil fuel, those muppets would still be riding in horse drawn carriages, using whale oil for lighting, and would never have a cushy job like they do

It's like a scientist warning about an incoming asteroid, but who has no clue how to stop it. Therefore, the scientist shouldn't tell anyone.

Perhaps things are different in New Zealand, but in the rest of the world there are scientists who monitor weather and climate, and other scientists who focus on mitigating global warming.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I suggest she has a word with the celebrity/elitist climate alarmists jetting around the world in private jets.

Because until the preachers practice what they preach, nobody else is going to change their behaviour (apart from maybe some useful idiots inconveniencing themselves and making zero difference). 

Unless of course, this is all just a ruse to terrify the proles into transferring more money to the state in the form of "green" taxes?

This topic is about the current hot weather. I don't know why you guys slip so easy into the old "no need to fix Global Warming, Al Gore has a big house" nuttery.

If your house is in danger of being destroyed by hurricanes or rising sea levels, why should you care if Tom Cruise has a private jet?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

This topic is about the current hot weather. I don't know why you guys slip so easy into the old "no need to fix Global Warming, Al Gore has a big house" nuttery.

Great point. I can't imagine why anyone would mention global warming in a thread with this title.

image.png.c95e43bf30b6c63d718f209e0208c0e5.png

57 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If your house is in danger of being destroyed by hurricanes or rising sea levels, why should you care if Tom Cruise has a private jet?

I don't care. He can fill his boots as long as he doesn't demand everyone else do something about it (personally I've never heard Tom Cruise talk about it). 

Posted (edited)

I was watching videos of flat-earthers this morning explaining that NASA and all the other space agencies are making it all up. The flat-earthers look at photos of the earth and the planets and say they are fake. Now, those who think rising temperatures are somehow not true simply don't want to look for evidence.

Global Warming - Advanced | CK-12 Foundation

Edited by Purdey
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

Yeah so what, the climate is changing, show uncorrelated non-presumptive proof of the cause. You can’t, because there is none. These silly grafts don’t show or prove anything along with the incoming links. 

And the earth is flat?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I was watching videos of flat-earthers this morning explaining that NASA and all the other space agencies are making it all up. The flat-earthers look at photos of the earth and the planets and say they are fake. Now, those who think rising temperatures are somehow not true simply don't want to look for evidence.

Flat earthers believe the earth is flat despite the overwhelming evidence that the earth is not flat.  Those that are skeptical of "man made" global warming are skeptical due the underwhelming evidence that climate change is caused by human activities and isn't due to a great ball of fire that is 1.3 million times the size of earth, and struggle to understand how exporting emissions from the UK to India or China (at great expense) is somehow going to solve the problem.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

Interesting graph. What does the 100 years look like before 1880? Oh and by the way, are all those temperatures after 1980 actually from meteorological stations or are some of them guesstimates since some of those stations are not in operation anymore. Of course we all know that thermometers in the cities do not give the proper results. Where are these thermometers located? 

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

1.5c is a made up threshold. 

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

No real change since 1998. Tiny rise. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

There was a very short temperature spike in the 1930s.

There was no associated long term warming trend, as is the case now. Scientists are more concerned about the trend, not so much the current record temperatures.

Scientists want grants. They fly in planes and drive in cars. They arent concerned at all apart from money.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, James105 said:

"The past year has seen an average global temperature 1.64C higher than the pre-industrial average and 0.76C above the 1991-2020 average."

Hmmm.  Wonder how this compares to the 1930s and why that decade is never mentioned in these "record" temperatures as that decade was (in)famously hot.   The periods selected here seem to be "pre-industrial" (which I assume to be pre 1850) and 1991-2020.  Seems very selective to me.  Wonder why?  

Because they massaged the numbers to show more warming. Every old person says it was hotter in the 1930s and 1940s. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Scientists want grants. They fly in planes and drive in cars. They arent concerned at all apart from money.

The scientists can get big money working for oil companies as climate change Deniers. Few do.

Most researchers make very little money. If you told a grad student that they were faking science to get the big bucks, they would laugh in your face.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Because they massaged the numbers to show more warming. Every old person says it was hotter in the 1930s and 1940s. 

There are these things called "weather records" that say you are wrong.

Global temperatures cooled after the 1940s.

More to the point, scientists talk about global temperatures, whereas you are considering the temperature in Dogpatch, Arkansas.

Edited by Danderman123

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There are these things called "weather records" that say you are wrong.

Global temperatures cooled after the 1940s.

More to the point, scientists talk about global temperatures, whereas you are considering the temperature in Dogpatch, Arkansas.

Dodgy scientists on grants. No sensible person takes them seriously. Neither do you.

• Confused 1