Different 100 bahts note

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

And ?

And what, just making a statement for people that can't read Thai that this is a note you would never get from a bank accept if you made a special original purchase when it was issued. Collectors are not putting these into circulation. I was a long time collector of Thai bank notes, sold all of them in 2014 at an auction in Bangkok, the sales paid for our land house and a new truck.

49 minutes ago, scorecard said:

No, it's Baht.

Yes, mine was a  reply to Malty, where some people put Bahts and others Baths, we all know it is Baht. Thank you for confirming it.

What is  Thai unit of Gold called? Silly innit.

Or is it, in English we have one Pound Sterling, and one Pound weight.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, flexomike said:

And what, just making a statement for people that can't read Thai that this is a note you would never get from a bank accept if you made a special original purchase when it was issued. Collectors are not putting these into circulation. I was a long time collector of Thai bank notes, sold all of them in 2014 at an auction in Bangkok, the sales paid for our land house and a new truck.

better story than twilight !

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2024 at 6:08 AM, ezzra said:

Thai treasury department print and mint new design banknotes and coins like on a daily basis, (mainly commemorative coins)

myself as a collector of Thai coins and banknotes has already gave up on following what are the new coins/banknotes that are 

going to be minted today...

Do you collect any other notes? I assembled a collection while backpacking in 90s.

India (Burma), Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam and some random. Years basically 193X to very early 1980s.

10 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

They were commemorative notes issued a few years ago. They actually issued some of them at atms. I've got a whole bunch of them in sequential numbers and mint condition. I'll hold on to them.

A light in the darkness 👍

For those thinking they might be sitting on a lottery win. For a banknote to be worth anything it must be as uncirculated - pristine condition without crease, fold or even dog eared corner. Notes still might have value based on the sheer rarity and demand. There is currently no up to date cataloging prices. Thai currency always had high collectable value and prices never aligned with reality. I understand prices have dropped in recent years due to market quantity and lack of demand.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Two page thread with so much babble about a special edition of the 100 Baht. Can't believe it.

"Commemorative 100 baht banknotes to commemorate the coronation of King Rama X [Credit: Bank of Thailand]"

D22EF8F2-9906-447A-A7FE-B6FE0D943EFE.jpeg

I doubt these will be worth anything but unc + sequential numbers a plus.

Are you a collector?

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Do you collect any other notes? I assembled a collection while backpacking in 90s.

India (Burma), Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam and some random. Years basically 193X to very early 1980s.

Only collected notes from Thailand, first came to Thailand in 1968, wish I would have started collecting than, the value of the older notes exploded over the years

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

Only collected notes from Thailand, first came to Thailand in 1968, wish I would have started collecting than, the value of the older notes exploded over the years

When I tried to collect Thai notes everyone knew what they had. I don't have a single Thai note.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I doubt these will be worth anything but unc + sequential numbers a plus.

Are you a collector?

almost all specimen notes notes are all zeros

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Max_Headroom said:

Specimen takes it to next level. Did you get them from the mint or bank out of curiosity?

some banks get them in limited quantities, most of mine were obtained through auction houses and from dealers in Thailand, check out this auction house, they have four auctions per year and on there website you can go back several years and see sales prices. Eurseree.com

10 hours ago, proton said:

Rubbish, only worth anything if uncirculated anyway

Not sure about Thai banknotes but definitely dos not apply to Australian notes. I had a Commonwealth of Australia $20 star not which I sold for $1000aud. It was definitely circulated with stains and folds, etc. However a coin value book at the time did place it at around $20,000 uncirculated.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Eurseree.com

Thanks. I've heard of it or rather seen it online in searches I've made. Do you know if the guy that owns this is Australian? I might have met him ten years back.

On 7/9/2024 at 6:49 AM, Aforek said:

Same as yours : there is a limited number or what ?  I  have never seen one like this myself, apart mine 

that is a specimen note which is printed in a limited number, not for circulation but for collectors, in the old days, a lot of the Thai banknotes were printed in the UK by Thomas De Larue, when they made specimen notes it was for the bank of Thailands approval all were very limited prints, very desirable and difficult to obtain, I had several Rama 9 specimens from the late 40's to early 50's

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Not sure about Thai banknotes but definitely dos not apply to Australian notes. I had a Commonwealth of Australia $20 star not which I sold for $1000aud. It was definitely circulated with stains and folds, etc. However a coin value book at the time did place it at around $20,000 uncirculated.

Basically, it's all about about uncirculated. The note in the op is worth b100.

Having said that sheer rarity comes into play as well.

I have some well worn 100 Cambodian riel I bought a stack of. I knew that the soil condition of the notes but seeing how rare they were in the market at the time  bought all the ones in decent condition. They haven't gone up in price but I think they will become extremely rare by the time that I pass. Wife can sell. These notes differed from the others in that American Banknote Company printed in the center of the bill.

I have others in crisp clean condition but not uncirculated which I know how value.

I have some old British colonial Indian notes with Burma stamps which are of considerable value and they are nowhere near UNC

Edited by Max_Headroom
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Many Thais are collecting old notes with HM the king Rama 9 on them.

He was well loved.

Anything less than a 500 baht note is as rare as hen's teeth now.

What's a 500 baht note?

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Funny how 45 countries have adopted the "Aussie crap".

Thailand had a polymer note 20 years ago, the 50 baht. The people didn't like it and became a paper note about 2011.

Surprised I haven't heard u-turn mentioned.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Basically, it's all about about uncirculated.

Of course uncirculated is the most valuable but doesn't mean circulated notes can not be valuable. Refer to my post. $1000 for a well circulated note is not bad.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Thanks. I've heard of it or rather seen it online in searches I've made. Do you know if the guy that owns this is Australian? I might have met him ten years back.

he is Thai but has a couple of farangs that have worked with him but can't remember their nationalities

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I had some of the older 20 baht notes that got wet, so I tried ironing one - make a nice, crisp, dry note. Well, there is a pouch that expands like a little balloon when you do that, rendering it useless.

I can't stand those new 20 baht notes. Nasty plastic pieces of garbage. Just something wrong with them.

I agree 100%.

And they are so slippery. Yer put yer hand in yer pocket to get some out and they are gone.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, proton said:

Rubbish, only worth anything if uncirculated anyway

Obviously you don't know anything about banknotes, the rarity of some can go for big money

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, flexomike said:

he is Thai but has a couple of farangs that have worked with him but can't remember their nationalities

Yes, I had a look at the site. Not easy to sort out bc there are many additional sites that appear to be by year / auction. Lots of Thai stuff mainly.

There's also an auction house in HKG Spinks or something like that. Probably SNG as well

11 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Obviously you don't know anything about banknotes, the rarity of some can go for big money

Quite. When I cleared my flat out in 2010 I came across some notes that I had brought back from the gulf in 1970.

I had got them from a bank so circulated but in very good condition. I had 3x 1 Qatar & Dubai Riyal and 1 x 5 Riyal notes, only worth a few pence when I got them, but I hadn't realised the currency was only in use for about 5 years. I got £800 from a dealer for them. He said I should have gone to auction, possibly £1500 - £2000 but I wasn't in a position to take that option.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Yes, mine was a  reply to Malty, where some people put Bahts and others Baths, we all know it is Baht. Thank you for confirming it.

What is  Thai unit of Gold called? Silly innit.

Or is it, in English we have one Pound Sterling, and one Pound weight.

Then there's the Dog Pound. 

• Thumbs Up 1