Honda to cease productions in Ayutthaya by 2025, EV competition

53 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Evs are for sheeple who buy the hype and only drive to Big C and 7-11..

I have solar, 2 EVs and an electric motorbike.

Unlike you I don’t have an electric bill as I don’t have a meter

Unlike you I don’t have fuel bills for my vehicles as I charge them from solar unless the journey is over 600km 

You carry on paying your bills like a good little sheeple

• Sad 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Studies have shown the average battery will outlast the car.

So why is the battery only guaranteed for 10 years, or will the car only last 9 ? + the fact will batteries deteriorate in time. 

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The writing on the wall has been “EV” for many years. You can’t fix Stupid and the Japanese have been that with a capital S.

February through June this year has seen the EV share of vehicles increase every month and the ICE share decline.

Price being equal, consumers choose EV.

Nissan make EVs so I don't get your point.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Nissan make EVs so I don't get your point.

I think he meant quality EVs, and value for money.   Nissan hasn't done that yet with BEVs, and now are falling way behind the competition.

Leaf is a fine example how not to make & sell BEVs.  2024 Ariya doesn't look to be any better.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Decent electric scooters are not available in Chiang Rai.  You have to order online and you're look at 40-60,000 baht.

The ones you can buy here have lead-acid batteries that probably only last a year.  Deco is a good brand with Lithium batteries, but not stocked here in Chiang Rai.

I agree But you can buy Lithium to fit 4 for about 2,250baht, I just 'sold' my electric scooter for 500b with dead lead batteries that lasted 7 months. I had also fitted a new remote in that time, I only paid just under 8k for it. that's 1k a month, so more than I pay for petrol in my Car. 

448500850_464885309561110_576696150869962316_n.jpg.36dc3ab547dfce2db1575fce6c705157.jpg

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I agree But you can buy Lithium to fit 4 for about 2,250baht, I just 'sold' my electric scooter for 500b with dead lead batteries that lasted 7 months. I had also fitted a new remote in that time, I only paid just under 8k for it. that's 1k a month, so more than I pay for petrol in my Car. 

448500850_464885309561110_576696150869962316_n.jpg.36dc3ab547dfce2db1575fce6c705157.jpg

Link to any lithium battery that will run a evBike for 2k2bht please. Cheapest I can find (that actually works) is 6000bht. Lots of fakes around!

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Why is an ICE engine only guaranteed 3 years?

I don't know where you get that info. same as you saying battery will last longer than the car utter BS. Most ICE come with a 5yr Warranty my Nissan ICE is 10 years old and shows no sign of wear, or oil leaks. My old NV was 25 years old and the engine is still fine, the automatic box eventually died. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Link to any lithium battery that will run a evBike for 2k2bht please. Cheapest I can find (that actually works) is 6000bht. Lots of fakes around!

Lazada. 

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I am surprised the replacement lithium batteries are so cheap? that sounds cheaper than replacement lead-acid batteries.

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Lazada. 

No real lithium batteries for evbikes sold at under 6kbht on Lazada.

My evMTB takes a 48v lithium battery, cost of the 65x Panasonic 18650 cells it's made from is around 5-6kbht, but so many fakes to sort through.

Just do a quick search for 18650 batteries, they can only fit 3400ma in one of those, anyone advertising a higher capacity is selling fakes that usually don't work for more than a week.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I hope that the Chinese drive for electric motor vehicles does not follow their domestic property boom...

Interesting up here in the frozen north, there is a very significant power line infrastructure project going on, bringing power in from Laos, where (extremely dirty) brown coal deposits are to be exploited to produce electricity. Apparently one significant demand for such power comes from increased numbers of EVs.

Well guess who controls the power supply in Laos, the same place where cheap EV's are coming from!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My EV battery is guaranteed 60% longer than your Nissan engine.

But my engine will last 20+ years and with TLC last for ever. Unlike your battery that will loose power 60% quicker than my Engine. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My evMTB takes a 48v lithium battery, cost of the 65x Panasonic 18650 cells it's made from is around 5-6kbht, but so many fakes to sort through.

Just do a quick search for 18650 batteries, they can only fit 3400ma in one of those, anyone advertising a higher capacity is selling fakes that usually don't work for more than a week.

Yea maybe but even lead batteries were not worth it for me that would make the initial cost around 14k with lithium, I can buy an old M/C for that , I only used it to pop down to the village anyway. 

51 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think he meant quality EVs, and value for money.   Nissan hasn't done that yet with BEVs, and now are falling way behind the competition.

Leaf is a fine example how not to make & sell BEVs.  2024 Ariya doesn't look to be any better.

Nissan Kicks a hybrid is quite good, but for me, any electric vehicle  I have looked at, all controls are switches, I prefer a lever I can feel without having to feel around of glance down. And all the bells and whistles going off I found very annoying, I have eyes, they are my sensors. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tpiety2 said:

PEA is making a killing on plug-in EVs. Electric costs here are very high. I wonder if EVs are 

cheaper than ICE gas or diesels?

฿2.6 per kWh doesn’t sound expensive to me but I still prefer my free solar power after I have powered my house

MEATimeOfRate.jpeg.1d814e66a223774667e2b1ce560f2cb2.jpeg

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

So why is the battery only guaranteed for 10 years, or will the car only last 9 ? + the fact will batteries deteriorate in time. 

Same reason combustion engines are only guaranteed a few years although with looking after they'll last longer.

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Lazada. 

As BM2 states, good one starts around 6k.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Spot on, I bought a crap one, good spec in the advert, but it died.   Bought a real one, specs 66% of the crap one, but 2X the size & weight ... nuff said.

48v/30Ah ... 2900 baht, see now it's advertised or 1800 :cheesy:

48v/20Ah ... 5700 baht 👍 March 2022, and gong strong

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You certainly don't drive much.  Petrol cost us about ฿3-4k a month.

฿1000 a month, in our last ICEV would get us 400 kms, maybe.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

A lot lot longer. 

The amount driving you do, I would think so.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My EV battery is guaranteed 60% longer than your Nissan engine.

Don't hit the curb/potholes or drive through a deep puddle ........... guarantee void plus a 300,000bht repair bill.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Spot on, I bought a crap one, good spec in the advert, but it died.   Bought a real one, specs 66% of the crap one, but 2X the size & weight ... nuff said.

48v/30Ah ... 2900 baht, see now it's advertised or 1800 :cheesy:

48v/20Ah ... 5700 baht 👍 March 2022, and gong strong

Weight of a real 18650 cell =47gm

30Ah = 130 cells

130 x 47 = 6.1Kg

If it weighs less than 6Kg it's fake.

PS. I suspect your 20ah battery is also fake and at best 17ah as I've never seen a casing that will take more than 65 cells (13s x 5p, so 5x 3400ma= 17ah)

If we examine a real advert ....

https://shopee.co.th/♛สำหรับจักรยานไฟฟ้า-48v-20Ah-28Ah-40Ah-58Ah18650-Li-ion-Battery-Pack-13S2P-1000w-and-54.6V-2A-Charging-i.845819876.25850441781

Says 18650 cells 13s2p so in reality 2 x3400ma = 6.8ah at best if using genuine Lithium batteries.

But they're probably using fake 18650 batteries claiming 9000ma (which only really have 1000ma capacity) so 2ah.

Not to mention the fake batteries usually only last a few charges and not the 800-1000 charges of the real batteries.

Edited by BritManToo

It's deja vu all over again--this time with Japanese car makers asleep at the switch, like the US car makers were when the Japanese car makers invaded.  Does Honda, or Toyota, sell even one PHEV in Thailand?   My spouse and I own a Honda product and we would like to buy Honda agan but the product offerings leave us underwhelmed, especially the 'new' CR-V, which should have been the 2021 model, not 2024.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1