Bangkok Redlight Nightlife Empty??

JimTripper

30 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Thailand is losing the only good thing it had to bring tourists in.

It's gonna have to rebrand again: Hub of Nothing

Yep, those Thais that don't have a clue like yourself.  Hmm, then again they are a top 10 tourist destination in the world?  What were they in 2000? Hmm., think I remember they were somewhere around 90.  They have been successful beyond their wildest dreams and to my frustration. 

Wish they had someone like yourself calling the shots because I'm extremely confident it would be much less overwhelmed with all the hoards of visitors every year. Problem is Thais are that dumb.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Wish they had someone like yourself calling the shots because I'm extremely confident it would be much less overwhelmed with all the hoards of visitors every year. Problem is Thais are that dumb.

Dunno, but I couldn't fault @FruitPudding's post. It is correct from a purely western prospective. Now it is true that hordes of asians are invading us and and I can't see what attracts them so much, maybe I should study sheep psychology. Anyway I'll shift my holidays away from Thailand into neighbouring countries.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Dunno, but I couldn't fault @FruitPudding's post. It is correct from a purely western prospective. Now it is true that hordes of asians are invading us and and I can't see what attracts them so much, maybe I should study sheep psychology. Anyway I'll shift my holidays away from Thailand into neighbouring countries.

Fair enough and I don't know the tourist by country breakdown.  Don't think Thailand cares much either.  It all about the money 🙂 I also don't understand the Chinese (not all Asians) fascination with group travel.  I would pay at least a $1,000 to my woman to not take me.

There does seem to be less long term expats in the provinces the last few years but over the last 12 months in my area the number has probably doubled (2 or 3 to maybe 5 or 6) 🙂

Edited by atpeace

12 minutes ago, atpeace said:

There does seem to be less long term expats in the provinces the last few years but over the last 12 months in my area the number has probably doubled (2 or 3 to maybe 5 or 6) 🙂

Must be one exceptional woman.

17 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Must be one exceptional woman.

To me she is but not the only reason I'm here in the sticks.  If she wasn't here though, I would be gone soon enough 🙂

On 7/11/2024 at 6:41 PM, Gottfrid said:

Hey! You know you did. 😉 

Sounds like no happy? You have to be a tad more philosophic about it. Now you got all the girls for yourself!

Not good, as they will all be hitting on you for drinks. In that situation I'd buy one girl a drink to keep the others away, except I never went in bars without customers as the girls were not excited to perform without an audience.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, atpeace said:

There does seem to be less long term expats in the provinces the last few years but over the last 12 months in my area the number has probably doubled (2 or 3 to maybe 5 or 6)

My opinion. In the past there were loads of farangs that got divorced and sold the house when the exchange rate favoured us, ergo loads of Thai cash. That's changed IMO.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Basically,  Thailand isn't cheap anymore, for booze nor women.

They are mercenary nowadays, rather than fun. It is about having a good time; it's about clawing ladydrinks out the customer. 

Then, there's the bill padding and scams.

Not only in the bars, but the entire tourism industry is a rip off: tuk tuks, canal boat tours, jet skis, snorkeling trips, taxis, paying 10× for any famous attraction, etc. etc.

And as others mentioned, the younger prostitutes are mostly online now (which is no fun).

The bars are full of tired, old hags, that have literally been in the business 30 years, lol.

The seafood smells bad, the nature is ruined, the roads are some of the most dangerous in the world.

They have replaced all the charming places that had character with a mall, hotel, or office block.

Thailand doesn't have much going for it anymore.

Frankly, I am quite enjoying watching it unfold as I am not a tourist anymore and I was able to enjoy it for many years while it was still good.

If I were to go to Thailand now instead of when I did go, I doubt I'd have returned. The charm has gone, and the beaches are ruined with concrete flash packer excrescences and villas for rich people.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yeah, I am fascinated by the Arab tourist invasion.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Thailand has only been successful due to it being the main gateway country for first time tourists coming to Asia, mainly because the neighboring countries were so far behind with their infrastructure. 

But it's coming to an end. Neighboring countries are getting more developed and more and more tourists will choose Vietnam, for example.

Good take.....never looked at it that way.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Talking to a lady last night who owns a bar and massage parlour not far from Patong beach.

Her words....'Lots of people walking about, plenty of Chinese and Russians, but business is bad. We need US and EU tourists, they are the big spenders.'

Just heard a similar story from a small bar owner behind Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang. Known her for years. Her non-hostess bar was empty most nights  for the week I visited while Russians, Koreans and Chinese walked past with Big C and 7-11 bags in hand. She said she is waiting for her Scandinavian customers' return in September. She does get the odd Euro/Aussie/Yank customers who have lived in the neighbourhood a long time, as I used to do. But westerner business on average is way down.

4 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Russians, Koreans and Chinese walked past with Big C and 7-11 bags in hand

Oh wow....I'd forgotten......exactly what the lady went on to said to me......they shop in the stores and take everything back to their hotel rooms.....eat and drink there.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Just heard a similar story from a small bar owner behind Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang. Known her for years. Her non-hostess bar was empty most nights  for the week I visited while Russians, Koreans and Chinese walked past with Big C and 7-11 bags in hand. She said she is waiting for her Scandinavian customers' return in September. She does get the odd Euro/Aussie/Yank customers who have lived in the neighbourhood a long time, as I used to do. But westerner business on average is way down.

I used to live right near there and I think I know where you are referring to.

I stopped going in after the first few times because it felt weird. For example, no eye contact or just a strange vibe like they did not want to be there or serve me, or that I was not buying enough with just one beer, etc.

Strangely, it somehow felt worse after they knew I was living nearby long term and walking by all the time. Like they expected me to come in more often or something.

Chinese, etc are all about hotel rooms. You're not going to find them  in small neighborhood bars much. They don't really help local businesses much, rather just tour companies and major chains that don't need the money.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I used to live right near there and I think I know where you are referring to. Some of these small bars get bitter towards customers when they are doing poorly. When that happens the customers never return. In fact, I usually walked into town rather then get a beer in some of those small bars with an attitude.

Agree.....we used to go to a tiny bar, early doors, have 4/5/6 beers between us, only customers they had at that time of day......the owner oozed hatred towards us or, rarely, any customers that came in........still went there though as it was so cheap....555

Edited by Will B Good

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

Would they rather work 12 hour days in a factory for 7 days, or just do a 1 hour short time for the same money?

That is at the heart of it....100%

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Firstly,  I am impressed he's still alive, lucid, and shagging at 70.

Secondly, the ladies are just doing their job. They may or may not enjoy it if the bloke is 70, or whatever age, but it's their choice.

Why do you care what profession they choose?

Would they rather work 12 hour days in a factory for 7 days, or just do a 1 hour short time for the same money?

You may say they do a difficult job, but don't forget: they have chosen the path of least resistance. 

Yes, and they chose poorly.

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, and they chose poorly.

.........or they have little 'real' choice?

A girl once said to me.....not one single girl really wants to work in a bar.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

.........or they have little 'real' choice?

A girl once said to me.....not one single girl really wants to work in a bar.

I would take the factory job if it was me, or be a poor rice farmer.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I would take the factory job if it was me, or be a poor rice farmer.

OMG....have ever tried harvesting sugarcane or rice or yams January to May......it makes bar life appear much less horrendous....5555

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I were to go to Thailand now instead of when I did go, I doubt I'd have returned. The charm has gone, and the beaches are ruined with concrete flash packer excrescences and villas for rich people.

Back pre 2000 it was so much different than the west.  Now same same mostly but still a little cheaper.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Until they are there for a month, then you can't get them removed anymore even with 2 horses pulling

For the desire of money....is the root of all fun.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Rather depressing, but sadly have to agree with most, if not all, of that.

I first came in 1993.....and everywhere was hoping.......never had so much fun.....bars just popped up anywhere and everywhere....the gf experience was amazing, but that aspect seems to have almost disappeared.

I don't see it much now. There used to be many couples traveling together around the country on the train, etc. I could see it in how they interacted as well. The fondness does not seem to be there in the couples I see now.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, proton said:

One of the saddest posts I've seen on here for a long time, those poor girls being 'smashed' must hate every minute of it. Can only wonder what they are thinking about while they are putting up with an ugly old foreigner grunting away on top of them. 70 years old and still mongering like he did in 1999. Pathetic IMHO.

I dont grunt, I just call the girls Mommy. If I get exited enough by watching reruns of Lassie, then I give her doggy ears and we both bark. 

Plus I started mongering BEFORE 1999 so get your facts right. My first was named Brandy in 1969, old Chelsea Hotel in NYC. She worked the old Lincoln Tunnel strolls. Dont take away my extra 30 years.

You clearly are jealous that I have been going to Thailand longer and getting more poosy than you? Wanna come to Thermae with me? Ill help you.  Its all OK I know dudes feel inadequate when they hear my life story.

• Sad 2