Should I switch to 3 phase?

Background
Getting solar and battery to cover some of house electric needs. Only using a/c at night - max 3 on at a time, no pool.
Looking to get an EV in 2-3 years time.

Heard stories that charging an EV is better with 3 phase.

So need to decide on which solar inverter and batttery set up to get, based on the future plan.

Previously told by PEA would need second meter, but read recent thread that said they were stopping that, but I may have got the wrong end of that stick.

Thanks in advance.

What size supply do you have now?? (look at your meter) Most of the charger installers want you to have a 30/100 single-phase supply. PEA were offering a second "EV" supply on a 15/45 TOU meter but as you correctly surmise, they've stopped doing that now.

On average, how far do you anticipate driving per day in your EV.

You need to define "better", 3-phase will, with an appropriate "charger" (actually the charger is in the car, the EVSE is just a controller) enable you to charge faster. A 3-phase EVSE will likely cost $$$.

But, the vast majority of users can use a Level-2 or even a Level-1 (or "granny lead") charger overnight running on cheap-rate power from the grid if you don't have enough solar storage and can't charge your car during the day.

Unless you are very close to the limit on your current supply (I suspect you are not) then sticking with single-phase is the best solution at this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks

My meter shows it is 15 (45) A. So guess that is too low, if you say installers want 30/100. How does that get increased?

Yes, my partner doesn't go too far, so slower charging is probably fine.

So apart from the above question,  thanks. I have been yoyo'ing back and forth on single v three phase.

4 hours ago, SimonDickinson said:

My meter shows it is 15 (45) A. So guess that is too low, if you say installers want 30/100. How does that get increased?

Take a trip to your local PEA office (take a Thai speaker) and ask for an upgrade.

You may need to also upgrade the wiring from the meter to your house and change your incoming breaker.