Honest Thai Cabbie Returns 500,000 Baht to Saudi Tourist

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- In an incredible display of honesty, 56-year-old Saneh Chaikam from Roi Et province, found himself at the center of a feel-good story this Wednesday.

The taxi driver stumbled upon a black handbag left behind by a passenger earlier this week, which contained a staggering sum of money totalling 566,127 baht. Quickly realizing the urgency of the matter, Chaikam didn't hesitate to contact the FM91 Traffic Police to orchestrate its return.

The forgotten handbag included a substantial mix of currencies - 1,885 United Arab Emirates riel alongside 15,094 US dollars, roughly equating to the half-million plus Thai Baht figure when converted.

The currency was accompanied by personal items likely belonging to the Saudi owner: a business card, a pen, and a notebook, locked securely within the handbag's twin zip-up compartments.

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: FM91

The drama unfolded after the Saudi visitor and his companion, who had boarded Chaikam’s taxi at Ratchadaphisek Road, disembarked hurriedly at Siam Square amidst Bangkok’s notorious traffic snarls.

Amid the busy exchange, the pricey bag was left behind. Thanks to Chaikam's prompt action, the FM91 Traffic Police quickly facilitated a meeting at the radio station to return the hefty sum to its rightful owner.

Witnessed by several key figures from the radio station and transport authority, the handover ceremony underscored the virtues of honesty and swift communication.

The Saudi owner, relieved and grateful, expressed his heartfelt thanks to Chaikam, illustrating a heartwarming cross-cultural exchange of trust and integrity.

Picture courtesy: FM91

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Are these set ups? 

They appear in the news every so often and involve huge amounts of gold/money????

Yeah, I have believed that for a long time now. Who have half million baht in their bag, when you just can transfer the amount with ant bank application?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I were the finder of 500,000 Baht, and the owner wanted to give me a big reward, I would not take a reward simply for being honest. But if he insisted I would ask for food for our 24 rescued cats. A 20 kg sack of dry food is 1,350 Baht. That's enough. The cats will be delighted and their happiness will make my wife and I happier than a large financial reward.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

This kind of story puzzles me, perhaps because I'm not rich and therefore can't understand why someone would forget such a large sum of money. In fact, why go around with more than half a million baht?

Business payment I suppose. I used to carry large amount in thailand to pay suppliers directly in cash instead of transfer payments. Sometimes more than US$50,000.

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Are these set ups? 

They appear in the news every so often and involve huge amounts of gold/money????

It is incredible how regularly tourists leave bags with large amounts of cash and how the story always finds its way into the news.

In fairness there are taxi drivers who would do that, but I imagine TAT must send out a lot of bag leavers to get their story.

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2024 at 5:07 AM, webfact said:

Witnessed by several key figures from the radio station and transport authority, the handover ceremony underscored the virtues of honesty and swift communication.

Handover Ceremony what a laugh, just give it back and get it over with.

On 7/13/2024 at 12:41 PM, renaissanc said:

If I were the finder of 500,000 Baht, and the owner wanted to give me a big reward, I would not take a reward simply for being honest. But if he insisted I would ask for food for our 24 rescued cats. A 20 kg sack of dry food is 1,350 Baht. That's enough. The cats will be delighted and their happiness will make my wife and I happier than a large financial reward.

Yeah Sure.....