Thai woman wins 9 million baht from UK bet

Reminds me of my last trip to the LOS's. Was invited  to lunch with a group of want  to be high society Thai's, and the house was huge and very nice. It was all a gaggle of women and relatives wanting to hang with the rich Thai woman, with two families living with her. I asked where the husband was?  One of the more down to earth guys nudged me and said, he is never here. He lives in a small house in the country.. hahaha

I don't know how the stock market is in the UK, but in the US 200K would be a nice investment with a nice small monthly income for life.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, flexomike said:

That has to be the most idiotic comment of the week

The sum of 200K is not what is used to be. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Very nice too and just think of all the relatives she will see for the first time.lets party and can u look after me now.Poor husband will have to work still and watch from the side as the family take  a cut. NEED A NEW MOTORBIKE NO CAR SISTER AND MANY MORE WILL FOLLOW

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

Very nice too and just think of all the relatives she will see for the first time.lets party and can u look after me now.Poor husband will have to work still and watch from the side as the family take  a cut. NEED A NEW MOTORBIKE NO CAR SISTER AND MANY MORE WILL FOLLOW

So if you won £200k you would refuse to accept it for the reasons you have highlighted above?   Yeah of course you would.  

Some people are perfectly capable of keeping blood sucking relatives at arms length.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Congrats, but they just have a low-education mindset! 9Mio THB still won’t get you anywhere close to retirement in Thailand still being in your 40s. They should have re-invested that money, work a few more years and then re-consider their plans.

Exactly. This is why so many poor people go back to being poor after winning the lottery. Instead of investing the money and letting it grow they immediately start spending. I'm willing to also bet that they'll let the remainder sit in a bank account earning minimal interest instead of investing it...

Congrats on the win, but make it count instead of wasting it.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Sorry but 200K GBP is hardly a life changing amount. Not even for Thailand. But I wish them luck. 

9 hours ago, flexomike said:

At the time you commented it probably was , but later it was  narrowly beaten into second place by this genius 

51 minutes ago, TedG said:

The sum of 200K is not what is used to be. 

it is of course exactly what it used to be

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Well looks like we BOTH made a mistake he only needs 400k for a marriage extension, and you try getting 47 baht for 1 GBP come to that.

I didn't quote either a marriage or a retirement visa or an extension.

Wise TT forex rate this morning was 46.9 baht, XE was 46.86467 baht, Bangkok Bank was 46.145 and Kasikorn was 46.41024. All of then are rising with the GBP against the Thai baht this week.

If I were to send money this instant from my Wise account, the forex rate would be 46.8995 THB which is only 10.05 satang away from 47 THB which is close enough.

Now you may not agree with that and if you wish to look it up yourself, go ahead.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I didn't quote either a marriage or a retirement visa or an extension.

Wise TT forex rate this morning was 46.9 baht, XE was 46.86467 baht, Bangkok Bank was 46.145 and Kasikorn was 46.41024. All of then are rising with the GBP against the Thai baht this week.

If I were to send money this instant from my Wise account, the forex rate would be 46.8995 THB which is only 10.05 satang away from 47 THB which is close enough.

Now you may not agree with that and if you wish to look it up yourself, go ahead.

Bang on, no point in   arguing with that 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Sorry but 200K GBP is hardly a life changing amount. Not even for Thailand. But I wish them luck. 

It's a life changing amount, but it's not an amount you can retire on, not if you live in the BKK area and want a good standard of life living off only the interests.

You need at least 40-60million baht (1 to 1.5 GBP) if you want to live off the interests and never run out based on 1 to 1.5% interest on savings per annum.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, flexomike said:

Yeah lol with an average of just 7.5% annual returns that would actually already be more than many teachers earn here working fulltime. 1250 a month or 57,400 baht. Of course half of it will already be spend by the time they realize this.

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Like 1

Good for them.

Long days doing menial jobs to make ends meet, yes, such is the reality for most mia farangs living in farangland (in my experience, and I know many).

Let's hope this story helps shed light and raise awareness on this reality (living in a Western country is harder than living in Thailand), rather than encourage Thai women to start gambling in the hope of getting rich.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Who is giving 7.5% interest on 200K GBP?

Returns, interest is for people who not understand money and due to that also think nothing but a few percent is possible.

but to answer, virtually anything in the past decade, gold to start with would even hVe secured 22.98% already over the past year alone. Could cash out and do nothing for 3 years at that point even.

that would have paid for their house

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

true enough, it can make life slightly more secure/comfortable if used sensibly, but life changing? no.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

true enough, it can make life slightly more secure/comfortable if used sensibly, but life changing? no.

For this side of the debate to continue, somebody is going to have to define life changing,   Personally I think the 200k is going to change their life considerably,  It may not last them until the day they die, but I don't think that is necessary requirement for it  to be considered life changing. its all a matter of degree is it not

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Don't forget that the Inland Revenue is going to want a cut of that.  Depending on their gross income, they'd better plan a house minus 39-48%.

No they won't.

HMRC take their money out of the bet, not out of the winnings.

14 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Andy and Araya will have to be strict about all the "Can you lend me some money, please?" requests; otherwise, the money will disappear quickly. The 6-bedroom house and a new one million Baht car and the tax man will eat up what the relations and neighbours leave them. Then they will be back to Square One with little money. I'm already feeling sorry for the couple.

Do people not understand that winnings on gambling are not taxed in the UK?

So long as they don't transfer it to Thailand in a year where they spend more than 180 days in Thailand, it's also not taxable in Thailand, even under the new rules.

• Like 2