Left-Wing Social Media Users Face Backlash for Tasteless Reactions to Trump Shooting

Social Media

image.png.201cb18e91a6744171125325728de7f6.png

In the aftermath of the recent assassination attempt on Donald Trump, some left-wing social media users have come under fire for their tasteless and celebratory reactions. The shocking attack, which occurred at the Butler Farm Show grounds, narrowly missed Trump but resulted in the death of one attendee and critical injuries to two others. Among the numerous reactions online, a disturbing number of posts expressed disappointment that the shooter missed and lamented that the day fell short of being "the best day ever."

One TikTokker jokingly tried to summon Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth.

A TikTok user, identified as @cele2t3, posted a video shortly after the attack, expressing disbelief and frustration that the shooter missed. “You’re telling me somebody finally had the balls to bring a ‘pew-pew,’ and they missed?” the user exclaimed, adding, “We were a second away, we were a centimeter away from half of the problem being gone and you missed!” The poster, who appeared to be driving while recording, further speculated about the identity of the shooter, implying racial motivations behind the failure. 

A protester near the hospital where Trump was treated following the shooting.

Kyle Rittenhouse, known for his controversial involvement in the 2020 Kenosha shooting, responded to the video, suggesting that the FBI should investigate the person behind the post. This call for investigation was echoed by many who found the reaction deeply inappropriate and alarming.

Libs of TikTok, a popular conservative social media account, shared a compilation of other TikTok users who were celebrating or joking about the shooting. One video showed a person holding a candle and sarcastically attempting to summon the spirit of John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln in 1865. The person mockingly called upon Booth, before trailing off and laughing.

Another video criticized the shooter’s accuracy, lamenting, “We’re not even sending our best to f–ing assassinate,” and comparing the shooter unfavorably to notorious assassins Lee Harvey Oswald and John Wilkes Booth. One TikTok user with the handle @yourfavorites7880 expressed disbelief, asking, “How the f–k did you shoot and miss?” and criticizing the shooter for not practicing beforehand.

In a particularly morbid display, one TikTok user shared a selfie video, sitting on a couch with news playing in the background, stating, “Today was, like, this close to being the best day ever.”  Some reactions extended beyond social media, with individuals taking to the streets to express their sentiments. Near Butler Memorial Hospital, where Trump was examined after the incident, a woman held a makeshift cardboard sign that read, “Wishing Trump a long terrible recovery!”

The assassination attempt also provided fodder for some to poke fun at President Joe Biden, who has faced increasing scrutiny over his mental fitness. One post on X (formerly Twitter) shared a photo of Biden with his mouth agape, captioned, "Someone shot my vice president???” This was a jab at a recent gaffe where Biden mistakenly referred to Vice President Kamala Harris as "Vice President Trump."

President Biden condemned the attack, stating unequivocally that there is no place for such violence in America. Despite the gravity of the situation, some on social media continued to use the incident to further their political agendas, demonstrating a troubling disregard for the seriousness of political violence and its potential consequences.

The incident has sparked a broader discussion about the role of social media in amplifying extreme and harmful rhetoric. As platforms continue to grapple with content moderation, the reactions to the Trump shooting highlight the challenges in balancing free speech with the need to prevent incitement and celebrate violence. The backlash against those who celebrated the attack underscores a societal consensus that such reactions are not only inappropriate but dangerous, contributing to an already volatile political climate.

Credit: NYP 2024-07-15

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Above the ear is the head. Look at the wound it was his head that got hit. Other than that you are simply ridiculous.

And a wimp.

9 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

It's as if he is saying, "Fight! Our opponents are evil and need to be conquered. They need to be crushed. Fight! Physically fight them like you did on Jan 6!" no, that is your imagination

That is my interpretation of his fist in the air shouting, "Fight! Fight!" 

What is your interpretation of his actions and words?

4 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

you don't know what you would have done in that situation. i expect you would have shat yourself and been shaking on the floor.

Yes, that's closer to what I would have done as opposed to what Trump did. What do you think you would have done?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I agree but it appears that Trumps violent rhetoric is having unforeseen consequences, I must admit that I too was disappointed that this dangerous man got away with nothing more than a scratched ear.

what violent rhetoric, have you got quotes of this?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, frank83628 said:

what violent rhetoric, have you got quotes of this?

It's confession by projection.  Lefties have elevated it to an artform.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, WDSmart said:

Yes, that's closer to what I would have done as opposed to what Trump did. What do you think you would have done?

i have no idea, probably done whatever the SS told me to do. if you listen to the audio at the time it didn't seem like they were that worried about the situation going any further,  the crowd did go off running in all directions either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1