Major IT Outage: Microsoft update disrupts airlines, banks, media, telecoms worldwide

CharlieH

File:Delta Air Lines Boeing 737-832; N3747D@LAX;10.10.2011 622in ...

All flights from major U.S. airlines, including Delta, United, and American Airlines, were grounded Friday morning due to a communication issue, as reported by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The grounding encompasses all flights from these airlines, irrespective of destination, according to the FAA.

The duration of the ground stop remains uncertain, although the FAA indicated an update would be available by 5 a.m. ET.

This incident follows a significant Microsoft outage on Thursday that affected Frontier Airlines, halting operations for several hours. Following the outage, Frontier provided refunds to affected passengers. Competitors like Allegiant and SunCountry also reported issues, particularly with booking, check-in, and trip management functions.

Additionally, the FAA announced Friday morning that all Allegiant flights would be grounded. Microsoft reported on its Azure cloud software status site that service was disrupted for some central U.S. customers around 6 p.m. ET, impacting service management operations and connectivity.

Microsoft has identified the cause and is working on a resolution. A spokesperson for Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

as reported by mainstream media.

2024-07-19

-news-logo-btm.jpg-

• Like 1

ms.webp

A major IT outage that has disrupted businesses and institutions in multiple countries, throwing government services, banks, supermarkets, telecoms, media outlets and airlines into disarray.

Developing story.

Companies and banks worldwide have been reportedly hit by a mass IT outage, leading to grounded flights.

A major IT outage has reportedly hit banks, media outlets, and airlines on Friday, causing chaos at airport check-in and cancelled flights.

The outage is believed to be caused by an outage of Microsoft's Azure and Office365 services.

Airlines such as Qantas in Australia and at least two low-cost carriers in the US - Frontier and Sun Country Airlines - have been forced to ground flights.

In Europe, users of Ryanair's app and website also complained and not being able to check in on Friday morning, with a surge of reports noted on the outage tracking website Downdetector.com.

Our journalists are working on this story and will update it as soon as more information becomes available.

Windows 10 users across the globe are facing a crash, causing their systems to suddenly shut down or restart. The crash is leading to PCs getting stuck on the recovery screen or the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error. This error occurs when a critical issue forces Windows to shut down or restart. In such cases, a message stating – “Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you” - appears on the screen.
Besides affecting corporate offices, the crash has also affected banks, supermarkets, telecommunications and airports across the US, Australia, Japan, India and other countries. It has reportedly caused the grounding and cancellation of flights across the United States, and at Sydney (Australia) Airport. Customers have been told they can’t check in their bags.

Windows 10 crash: Microsoft reaction
In a statement, Microsoft has said that a recent CrowdStrike update is leading to the crash. Meanwhile, CrowdStrike, which is a US-based cybersecurity provider, has said, “CrowdStrike is aware of reports of crashes on Windows hosts related to the Falcon sensor. Status updates will be posted below [on the website] as we have more information to share, including when the issue is resolved.”

Notably, the CrowdStrike Falcon provides cybersecurity solutions such as endpoint protection, detection and response, threat intelligence, incident response, Windows security features, and security updates and patches as well.

Windows 10 crash: Is it a cyber attack?

The National Cyber Security Coordinator of Australia, Michelle McGuinness, has ruled out the possibility of a cyber-attack behind the crash. “I am aware of a large-scale technical outage affecting several companies and services across Australia this afternoon. Our current information is this outage relates to a technical issue with a third-party software platform employed by affected companies,” said the National Cyber Security Coordinator in a post on X.

Windows 10 crash: Ways to resolve bug
A user may utilise the Blue Screen Troubleshooter available in the Get Help app. Here is how to do it:
  • Open Get Help app on Windows.
  • Type ‘Troubleshoot BSOD error’ (Blue Screen of Death) in the search bar of the Get Help app.
  • Follow the step-by-step instructions provided in the Get Help app.
If this doesn’t work, you may consider updating Windows with the latest patches through Windows Update.
  • Thanks 2

Mass IT outage hits airports, businesses and broadcasters around the world

Flights were grounded in several countries and stores and broadcasters were offline after the outage which appeared to be affecting Windows PCs.

Major airlines, media organizations, businesses and police forces around the world were affected by a massive IT glitch caused by a problem with Microsoft cloud computing services early Friday.

Flights were grounded in several countries and stores and broadcasters in several countries were offline after the outage which appeared to be affecting Windows PCs.

Train operators in the United Kingdom also blamed IT outages for cancellations Friday morning and the London Stock Exchange blamed a “3rd party global technical issue” for stopping its regulatory news service posting any new items.

(more)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mass-cyber-outage-airports-businesses-broadcasters-crowdstrike-rcna162664

rather sinister if you ask me

deep state flexing their muscles - this is what we can do

I'm not into conspiracy stuff but the timing is interesting

does MS really make error like this ?

• Like 1

Serves the world right for allowing itself to be controlled by the vile MS company.

Words can't describe how much I "dislike" Bill Gates and his loathsome OS.

After I turned the computer on not long ago there was a blue screen, which has to be what is described, but it went away before I could read it and I had to wait about 15 minutes for the computer to work. I just assumed it was another interminable update that MS inflicts on me whether I want it or not. Every time I use a computer I find something more to "dislike" Gates over.

Can I assume it doesn't affect W7? Luckily I have one with that OS for when the rubbish W10 melts down completely. Of course the vile Gates won't maintain 7 as he wants everyone to pay to use his ever more revolting OS- I've heard bad things about 11.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Another reason to carry some sweaty tourist cash.  Like a troglodyte, according to a lot of posters here. 

But the cash carrying travelers probably didn't miss any meals.

Agree. Been so many on here lording it over posters that are not invested in putting their live in a computer. How does it feel now, knowing that their entire lives can vanish into the ether?:shock1:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:

A cautionary tale for anyone that thinks carrying cash is foolish.  There seems to be a lot of them on AN.

It can get mighty hungry waiting on a Microsoft fix.

Oh yes, ain't that the truth. Bet they forget when this event is over and go back to trusting a machine to never fail.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it caused a MS OS to fail then it's their fault for not protecting their system properly.

It was a company called CrowdStrike who seem to have the same recruitment policy as the secret service.   I'm sure it is just a coincidence.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

It was a company called CrowdStrike who seem to have the same recruitment policy as the secret service.   I'm sure it is just a coincidence.  

Orwell had it right.

Far as I can see it we are all screwed royally. I'm happy that I had the best of it while it lasted. It was a great ride for me, but it's over. I'm really happy I never had kids to suffer.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, george said:
Windows 10 crash: Ways to resolve bug
A user may utilise the Blue Screen Troubleshooter available in the Get Help app. Here is how to do it:
  • Open Get Help app on Windows.
  • Type ‘Troubleshoot BSOD error’ (Blue Screen of Death) in the search bar of the Get Help app.
  • Follow the step-by-step instructions provided in the Get Help app.
If this doesn’t work, you may consider updating Windows with the latest patches through Windows Update.

How do you do this if your screen is already stuck?

• Thumbs Up 2

At my local Lotus,  Rep south Phetchabun,  I used my BE1ST card to pay for my monthly shop.

No probs and I am fairly old too.

This was at 1030 Local, so maybe had been fixed by then.....

I also heard that Sky News was off air.....There is a God....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it caused a MS OS to fail then it's their fault for not protecting their system properly.

Look up Crowdstrike's recent history on any wing nut conspiracy website and you'll understand why MS may not be to blame.

Or maybe they are... Early days.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My MS equipment was not affected because I do not have this 3rd party software installed.

MS is not at fault.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, brianburi said:

At my local Lotus,  Rep south Phetchabun,  I used my BE1ST card to pay for my monthly shop.

No probs and I am fairly old too.

This was at 1030 Local, so maybe had been fixed by then.....

I also heard that Sky News was off air.....There is a God....

Was an easy fix once crowdstrike was on to it.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Every time I use a computer I find something more to "dislike" Gates over.

Can I assume it doesn't affect W7? Luckily I have one with that OS for when the rubbish W10 melts down completely. Of course the vile Gates won't maintain 7

Just the day before this debacle I decided time to move away from

Windows XP as it's getting harder to find new programs that will work (properly or at all) especially web browsers due to lack of updates in security protocols.

Anyway I installed Win7   and now have a triple boot machine

Windows XP Pro 64,  Windows7 Ultimate and Debian11

Debian11 being the default boot OS  and the one I use the most now

and try not to use Windows  but sometimes the learning curve is too high and there is already a program I know how to use  sitting there in the windows partition so give in and use that.