Major IT Outage: Microsoft update disrupts airlines, banks, media, telecoms worldwide

CharlieH

1 minute ago, johng said:

Hard to believe that's true   but if true then serve's the silly buggers right :cheesy:

Just going by what they posted. I try to avoid all smart appliances after my first experience with a smart thermostat about 20 years ago.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree. Been so many on here lording it over posters that are not invested in putting their live in a computer. How does it feel now, knowing that their entire lives can vanish into the ether?:shock1:

Yea, lots of people dissing on paper money. Don't want a cashless world. Have had experiences here in Thailand where shops and 7 Elevens would lose power. The staff would just take out a clipboard, record the transactions, and keep on going--as long as you had cash.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Any "smart appliance" must have a manual override  or fully manual option too  or "bad things" can happen..

Maybe this will be a small wakeup call to the smart phone zombies who think a central bank digital currency would be a good thing  and that cash is just for dinosaurs and criminals ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Serves the world right for allowing itself to be controlled by the vile MS company.

Words can't describe how much I "dislike" Bill Gates and his loathsome OS.

After I turned the computer on not long ago there was a blue screen, which has to be what is described, but it went away before I could read it and I had to wait about 15 minutes for the computer to work. I just assumed it was another interminable update that MS inflicts on me whether I want it or not. Every time I use a computer I find something more to "dislike" Gates over.

Can I assume it doesn't affect W7? Luckily I have one with that OS for when the rubbish W10 melts down completely. Of course the vile Gates won't maintain 7 as he wants everyone to pay to use his ever more revolting OS- I've heard bad things about 11.

If you did not install crowdstrike... then yes your win 7 (or any other win release) would not be affected.

• Thanks 1

Many years ago when I worked with Motorola, EVERY software update was tested to death on the software test bed, and all the bugs sorted out before it was allowed out for general release. Minor bugs were fixed quickly, but if it was a major bug the whole thing was torn apart and re-written and retested.

• Agree 2

Now that the thread has died down, how about a fun wingnut conspiracy?

Elon Musk threw his endorsement to Trump right after the shooting.  A few days later, the IT company that was heavily involved in the Russian Collusion hoax suffers what's being called history's largest outage, that could result in so many lawsuits they may not survive.

The facts are true.  But are they connected?  Discuss...

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Many years ago when I worked with Motorola, EVERY software update was tested to death on the software test bed, and all the bugs sorted out before it was allowed out for general release. Minor bugs were fixed quickly, but if it was a major bug the whole thing was torn apart and re-written and retested.

Spot on. 

'Agile' has replaced the 'Waterfall' as the prevailing methodology in software development. Imo what this amounts to in practice is that a company releases software which has undergone little formal testing but instead relies on the customer to effectively take on the Testing activity and report back to the developer.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Denim said:

At my local BigC yesterday there were younger people with full trolleys but no cash. They looked a bit bewildered to be told that only cash payments were being accepted. Several older customers meanwhile just carried on through quickly with our dirty old cash.

I'd love to have seen that. I've been saying for years that depending on computers is a mug's game, but the sheeple love it.

IMO a few more events like this are necessary to prevent the impending cashless society.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

Just going by what they posted. I try to avoid all smart appliances after my first experience with a smart thermostat about 20 years ago.

Unfortunately just about everything is "smart" to some extent now. It's a cancer that will lead to problems in the future.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Elon Musk threw his endorsement to Trump right after the shooting.  A few days later, the IT company that was heavily involved in the Russian Collusion hoax suffers what's being called history's largest outage, that could result in so many lawsuits they may not survive.

I don't know if it's true, but I hope they get destroyed by lawsuits.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

If you did not install crowdstrike... then yes your win 7 (or any other win release) would not be affected.

Thanks for that.

Given I didn't even know that crowdstrike existed till yesterday, I didn't install it. The only thing I added to my computer is antivirus and Firefox. Thank goodness computers are not running my personal life, so if they melt down entirely I won't be affected, and I have cash- don't use electronic money.

Just hope I don't get sick as hospitals are completely computerised, even X ray.

Was there ever a society as stupid as ours, that they have so completely put everything under the control of companies like MS?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Back then the phone had a game called snake on it and made calls and had a contact list. Things are a little different now. 

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Crowdstrike was heavily involved in the Russian collusion hoax? Apart from the fact that there was no debunking of Russian involvement with the Trump campaign, the only reason that crowdstrike was mentioned is because Trump falsely believed (surprise! surprise!) that the hacking of the DNC came via the Ukraine and crowdstrike, rather than from Russia. That's one of the reason that the big know-nothing still holds a grudge against Ukraine.

'In his now-infamous July phone call with Ukraine’s president, President Donald Trump referred briefly to a long-discredited conspiracy theory that tries to cast doubt on Russia’s role in the 2016 hacking of the Democratic National Committee...

In broad outline, the theory contends — without evidence, of course — that the DNC hack was a setup based on fabricated computer records and designed to cast blame on Russia. One key figure in this supposed conspiracy: CrowdStrike, a security firm hired by the DNC that detected, stopped and analyzed the hack five months before the 2016 election.'

https://apnews.com/article/aa1f66a1770d4995a6bada960a7d119e

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Facts are true, but your statements are not facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Facts are true, but your statements are not facts.

Members who had a little curiosity may have tested those "facts" and learned a little with some Googling. They may have even seen that Musk is claiming to have removed all Crowdstrike products from their systems.

Others aren't curious at all...  And they're proud of it.

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

You notice how impulse claimed that crowdstrike "was heavily involved in the Russian Collusion hoax"? He's just echoing the baseless accusations of Trump.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/crowdstrike-the-truth-about-trumps-insane-ukraine-server-conspiracy

The DNC hired Crowdstrike to investigate a hack of their system.  I'd call that "heavily involved".  Fact.

The Mueller report debunked the Russian Collusion hoax. Fact.

The rest of your post is responding to claims I didn't make.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

The DNC hired Crowdstrike to investigate a hack of their system.  I'd call that "heavily involved".  Fact.

No, that doesn't mean that the hacking of the DNC came via Crowdstrike.

No, the Muller report didn't debunk Russian collusion with the Trump campaign.

So no facts from your side, just baseless conspiracies.

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If you think that's the "conspiracy" you're debunking, then you don't have a clue what the conspiracy is.  Because that ain't it.

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, the Muller report didn't debunk Russian collusion with the Trump campaign.

So no facts from your side, just baseless conspiracies.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you think that's the "conspiracy" you're debunking, then you don't have a clue what the conspiracy is.  Because that ain't it.

I'm showing your 'facts' are not correct. Like this.

"A few days later, the IT company that was heavily involved in the Russian Collusion hoax suffers what's being called history's largest outage".

On 7/20/2024 at 2:08 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Serves the world right for allowing itself to be controlled by the vile MS company.

Words can't describe how much I "dislike" Bill Gates and his loathsome OS.

After I turned the computer on not long ago there was a blue screen, which has to be what is described, but it went away before I could read it and I had to wait about 15 minutes for the computer to work. I just assumed it was another interminable update that MS inflicts on me whether I want it or not. Every time I use a computer I find something more to "dislike" Gates over.

Can I assume it doesn't affect W7? Luckily I have one with that OS for when the rubbish W10 melts down completely. Of course the vile Gates won't maintain 7 as he wants everyone to pay to use his ever more revolting OS- I've heard bad things about 11.

Switch operating systems. Windows is not the be all and end all.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd love to have seen that. I've been saying for years that depending on computers is a mug's game, but the sheeple love it.

IMO a few more events like this are necessary to prevent the impending cashless society.

He says, whilst using a computer.

Imagine if you didn't have a computer or internet. You'd have to sit at home and troll yourself all day.

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

He says, whilst using a computer.

Imagine if you didn't have a computer or internet. You'd have to sit at home and troll yourself all day.

He could start counting sheep, a full-time job in his area.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

You've got a point about it being heavily involved. But why mention at all unless in support of Trump's claim that it was part of a hacking effort in conjunction with the govt. of Ukraine. That's just nuts