Ear wax removal

I always used Bangkok Hospital. I am 79 years old and live in the Korat area. I need to have my earwax removed every 2 or 3 times a year as it impacts my hearing.  In the last few years BH keeps raising their price and when I went 4 months ago it approx 2000 Baht without medicine. A year ago it was less than 1000 baht without almost no waiting.

BH uses a suction machine so there is very little discomfort. No way would I trust a beauty shop or barber shop to dig the wax out.

I suspect quite a few older people think that they are losing their hearing due to old age but it may only be a wax buildup.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Just leave it alone

May be affecting his hearing. And if it is not yet, it may do so if he does nto stay on top of it.

@sidjameson  where in Thailand are you? Have you already tried home treatment with hydrogen peroxide or drops like these :   พร้อมส่งที่ไทย!! เอีย แว็กซ์ ดี แว็กซ์ ขี้หูอุดตัน

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

May be affecting his hearing. And if it is not yet, it may do so if he does nto stay on top of it.

@sidjameson  where in Thailand are you? Have you already tried home treatment with hydrogen peroxide or drops like these :   พร้อมส่งที่ไทย!! เอีย แว็กซ์ ดี แว็กซ์ ขี้หูอุดตัน

There’s nothing to stay on top of. It’s supposed to be there. Where people get problems is when they push it in trying to “fix” it. Earwax is a natural condition. Seems one wouldn’t have to say this but I suppose you do, idk. 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

There’s nothing to stay on top of. It’s supposed to be there. Where people get problems is when they push it in trying to “fix” it. Earwax is a natural condition. Seems one wouldn’t have to say this but I suppose you do, idk. 

what don’t you get?  It affects his hearing so of course it should be addressed.  Seems one wouldn’t have to repeat this, but I suppose with you, we do.

If I were the OP, considering age and its only every 2-3 years, I would pay up at Bangkok Hospital and (likely) get it done right.

• Like 1

Just now, TimBKK said:

what don’t you get?  It affects his hearing so of course it should be addressed.  Seems one wouldn’t have to repeat this, but I suppose with you, we do.

If I were the OP, considering age and its only every 2-3 years, I would pay up at Bangkok Hospital and (likely) get it done right.

I never saw him say it affects his hearing. People don’t realize you’re liable to do more harm than good with wax. Unless there is an actual problem or pain I’d stay well away from any doctor. We do know the human body naturally removes earwax, right? And we know the wax exists for a reason? Right? It’s not simply “something that needs to be cleaned”, it actually serves a purpose similar to things like, idk your arms and legs

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

Unless there is an actual problem or pain I’d stay well away from any doctor.

aa.  Let me qualify that by saying any doctor that one does not COMPLETELY TRUST.

bb. As to a solution....without a doctor's visit....

What is required is just an ear syringe. These are available at most Thai pharmacies.

image.png.3102359193aa80505dd1656de026b891.png

cc. IMPORTANT NOTE....

NEVER insert the tip of this device INTO the ear canal...NEVER.

Also, NEVER try to use this as a SUCTION DEVICE.....NEVER.

Whoever wrote the headline for this ad was a NITWIT.

dd.  Use this device ONLY as it was designed and intended to be use.  And, I am not going to explain the method of use here, since I am not a doctor, as some of you may or may not know.

ee.  But let me say this about that:

1. This is NOT a suction device.

2. The method is to draw up warm water, and flush the ear canal WITHOUT letting the tip of this ear syringe enter the ear canal.

3.  There is a WikiHOW at this site, if you are interested...

image.png.357bf1b035dd40c2742b8999a1f1f15b.png

Go to this link, and then read on, if you wish...

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Bulb-Syringe

Note:  I would say that it's totally not necessary to buy/use some sort of wax softening solution, such as glycerin. Not only ineffective, but also unnecessary.

Repeated use of warm water is all that is required.

IF this method does not work, then it will be the time to pay a visit to an ENT Doc, in order to restore optimal hearing, and minimize problems due to complications from impacted wax in the ear canal.

You an follow this method either solo, or it's more fun with a partner, I guess.

Best regards,

And wishing you all continued good health,

Gamma

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This, IMHO, is both comparatively ineffective and unnecessary, compared to the use of an ear syringe and warm water.  Also, the use of hydrogen peroxide in the ear canal is something that I would never try.  Also, not necessary.  If the ear syringe and warm water does not dislodge the impacted wax, then visit ENT doc at good hospital.  No big deal.

Also note that:  If one uses cold water, the cold water can sometimes lead to vertigo due to the effect of the cold water on the inner ear (just my guess).  Therefore, use lukewarm water, and all will come out well in the end.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Plenty of people get impacted ear wax without having done anything to cause it.

In fact this is the first thing to exclude in cases of hearing loss.

Very, very common. Seems to occur mainly in older men, perhaps because they tend to be bald and thus not need to shampoo their hair, a process that incidentally helps clean the ears. 

Ohh...I am bald!!! Lol

I'm in Bangkok and I will try the peroxide drops you suggested thanks. 

1 minute ago, sidjameson said:

Ohh...I am bald!!! Lol

I've had this problem for many years and find 3% hydrogen peroxide very affective. A few drops in each ear, twice a day for three days and I'm good to go again. You should hear a soft gurgling sound in your ear. That's oxygen bubbles forming in the wax and breaking it down. 

But don't overdo it. Wax does serve a purpose in that it protects the ear canal and if you go at it too much you could leave your ears vulnerable to infection. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Ohh...I am bald!!! Lol

If that fails any ENT can quickly remove the wax. 

5 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Regular earwax removal is highly recommend for swimmers. 

https://clearearwax.co.uk/2023/02/24/the-importance-of-ear-hygiene-for-swimmers/

In conclusion, the importance of ear hygiene for swimmers cannot be overstated. Swimming in pools, lakes, and other bodies of water can cause water to enter the ear canal, leading to ear infections, earwax build-up, and swimmer’s ear. To prevent these problems, it is important to maintain good ear hygiene by using earplugs, drying the ears thoroughly after swimming, avoiding swimming in dirty or contaminated water, and getting regular ear cleaning by a professional. Microsuction is a safe and effective method of ear cleaning and it’s highly recommended for swimmers as it can effectively remove earwax and prevent complications caused by water entering the ear canal.

If you have been years without removing it, use olive oil or special oil from a pharmacy to soften the impacted wax for 10 days on end before going to the ent. Otherwise the removal may not be altogether painless.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Regular earwax removal is highly recommend for swimmers. 

https://clearearwax.co.uk/2023/02/24/the-importance-of-ear-hygiene-for-swimmers/

In conclusion, the importance of ear hygiene for swimmers cannot be overstated. Swimming in pools, lakes, and other bodies of water can cause water to enter the ear canal, leading to ear infections, earwax build-up, and swimmer’s ear. To prevent these problems, it is important to maintain good ear hygiene by using earplugs, drying the ears thoroughly after swimming, avoiding swimming in dirty or contaminated water, and getting regular ear cleaning by a professional. Microsuction is a safe and effective method of ear cleaning and it’s highly recommended for swimmers as it can effectively remove earwax and prevent complications caused by water entering the ear canal.

That was written by a company that profits from people cleaning their ears more often. Get a grip. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Are you a doctor?  Didn’t think so

Still, you should call a healthcare provider if you notice impacted earwax symptoms like ear pain, dizziness or hearing loss. Some people produce more earwax than other people and may need routine treatments to remove it. Talk to your provider about ways to soften earwax and keep your ears healthy.”

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14428-ear-wax-buildup--blockage

I love how peoples supporting links are from: the people who profit from more doctor visits. And it never even dawns on you the info could be skewed, does it? Amazing. Really it’s quite amazing. 

I guruntee you most cases are people screwing up their own ears by doing things, many of which you see in this thread. Pouring crap in their ears etc. and then all the sudden down the line they have a huge problem 😂 yeah, a problem caused by the person. 

I know it’s amazing to some but if you truly just leave your ears alone there is a good chance they will be fine and perfectly functioning. Yes do nothing and your odds of being healthy are high. Amazing I know but true. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Plenty of people get impacted ear wax without having done anything to cause it.

In fact this is the first thing to exclude in cases of hearing loss.

Very, very common. Seems to occur mainly in older men, perhaps because they tend to be bald and thus not need to shampoo their hair, a process that incidentally helps clean the ears. 

Almost everybody does all kinds of stuff to their ears. Seriously how many people do you know that don’t touch their ears. There aren’t any. That’s the source of most problems. 

ears are completely self regulating people. So is wax. Those are just the facts. Do with them as you may. Your problems are most likely to you getting in there and trying to “fix” things. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I make a lot of wax. About once a year, I get it gently cleaned out. It's fascinating when they show you your globule of gunk at the end.

The over the counter methods never seem to work for me. Hydrogen peroxide feels very harsh on my sensitive inner ear skin, so def dilute it.

I wear ear plugs a lot, and they can have the effect of pushing the wax close to the ear drum, so don't go crazy pushing them deep into your ear.

It's no biggie if you do, but it means they have to pour a gentle solvent into your ears and makes the ear cleaning take a lot longer as they need to take a few passes at hosing the softened wax out.

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

ears are completely self regulating people. So is wax. Those are just the facts. Do with them as you may. Your problems are most likely to you getting in there and trying to “fix” things. 

Not always, i had to get my ear vacuumed out as i had impacted wax on the eardrum causing issues, now i use a camera thing to reduce wax buildup, the ENT doc said keep water out of your ears as it isn't clean in Thailand, i put ear plugs in when showering 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Available on Lazada. 

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not always, i had to get my ear vacuumed out as i had impacted wax on the eardrum causing issues, now i use a camera thing to reduce wax buildup, the ENT doc said keep water out of your ears as it isn't clean in Thailand, i put ear plugs in when showering 

You probably caused the problem yourself. 

My point in this thread is doctors are the worst things that ever happened to most of us. They are liable to make things worse. They are pharma shills. However, they are good at procedures, for example if you break a bone or need a hip replacement. But things like this can usually be taken care of by oneself… maybe not the initial problem, like a bad impaction for example, but thereafter if you have good habits you won’t need to see a doctor again. 

The funny part to me is I basically advise people to take care of themselves. Eat good. Be active daily. And you won’t have many if any problems. Yet I’m the bad guy. 😂 but if you really look at what I’m saying and drop the egos and drop what you think you know about doctors 99% of people would benefit highly if they actually followed my advice. 

Doctors have a single job when you walk in: to get you back in! That’s all they care about. I’ve noticed they are completely unconcerned about diagnosing me properly in first visits often. Why? Why would they. Shotgun me with pills and schedule me for a second appt. And I think everyone reading this knows that’s true, but they fail to admit it. Doctors are simply trying to treadmill patients. They don’t care. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:
2 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Hydrogen peroxide feels very harsh on my sensitive inner ear skin, so def dilute it.

@Prubangboy,  3% Hydrogen Peroxide is the stuff that's recommended. I've noticed that some of the OTC bottles are 6% which may account for your problem. If I do find that I have the latter I dilute it 50/50 with saline water.

Edited by Moonlover