Could you be close-friends w/anyone Unable to Appreciate: Black Coffee?

Dear Folks,

So much of music appreciation is culturally based, and perhaps even related to one's intellect, that I do wonder how anyone could manage to be close friends with someone unable to appreciate BLACK COFFEE.

Here is what I mean:

During recent decades most of us have suffered under the deluge of Ghetto Rap Music flooding our world.

Where did this Ghetto Black Music actually come from?

The swamp?

There was a time, not long ago, when Black Music was just about the only kind of jazz that I could listen to.

And, I would not usually associate with, or befriend, those who were unable to appreciate black music.

Even the Blues Brothers loved Black Music.

But, I am not talking about the Blues Brother Type of Black Music.

Because, the Black Music that was truly most special was the Black Music produced in the 30s, up until the 60s, and it had to be jazz, too.

I could not be close friends with anyone unable to appreciate the beauty of Sarah's voice.

And, these days, with the immense cultural shift that has happened in America during the past five decades, is the ability to appreciate Sarah's voice a lost art, and something not accessible to the youth of today?

There is really no hope for Mankind, if this be true.

Now, maybe,

Back to listening to Sarah on my sound system, or..

I mean my computer with 11 speakers attached.

Best regards,

Gamma

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I'm starting to believe that now after reading snippets of your weird ramblings! How do you re act on a full moon???

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, FriscoKid said:

Coffee blows. Never touch the stuff. 

I do keep freeze-dried coffee in the freezer.

However, I touch it less and less frequently as I age.

Tea seems to be a better beverage, and less windy.

Although which choice is healthier is not easy to say.

With coffee, just one strong cup, and the entire body smells of coffee.

Even the resultant urine seems to exude a coffee-like aroma.

And I think it is this phenomenon that I find most distasteful.

• Sad 1

Gamma - I have a question for you. I feel sure that only someone with your incredible insight and intellect will be able to solve this riddle that has caused me many sleepless nights since I first heard it in 1975.

Q: How big is a banana this colour? (asked while holding hands apart, as if describing the fish you caught, or the length of a bodily appendage.)

A: A motorbike, because T-shirts don't have doors.

It's a conundrum.:coffee1:

This means you can't be friends unless they think just like you. That if they like music other than what you like, they aren't worthy of being your friend. I like most all music, besides rap, hardcore and most soulless pop. This has nothing to do with what my friends like, as they have their own minds and desires, which have nothing to do with me. They are my friends because we can relate of one topic or another, or share some common interests. Some don't like some of my music and that's okay. I'm turning my girlfriend here onto music she would never be able to enjoy otherwise because of my eclectic tastes and the amount of music I have. She likes Thai music and I really don't, seeing that they try and copy western pop and their language doesn't correspond well with a lot of western style instrumentation. I do like some Thai music, mostly instrumental. I grew up near NYC and heard old R&B all that time, and still love it now. It's much better than modern day R&B. Yes, I can be close friends with anyone who listens to music other than what I like, if we have other things in common.

4 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Gamma - I have a question for you. I feel sure that only someone with your incredible insight and intellect will be able to solve this riddle that has caused me many sleepless nights since I first heard it in 1975.

Q: How big is a banana this colour? (asked while holding hands apart, as if describing the fish you caught, or the length of a bodily appendage.)

A: A motorbike, because T-shirts don't have doors.

It's a conundrum.:coffee1:

Yes.

I agree.

It is certainly a conundrum.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

lauryn is ghetto will you be able to hear her ? develop a negative into a positive...

Wow.

Her hairstyle is so obviously a copy of Tracy Chapman's.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Wow.

Her hairstyle is so obviously a copy of Tracy Chapman's.

no. lauryn is special. 

Edited by stoner

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

This means you can't be friends unless they think just like you. That if they like music other than what you like, they aren't worthy of being your friend. I like most all music, besides rap, hardcore and most soulless pop. This has nothing to do with what my friends like, as they have their own minds and desires, which have nothing to do with me. They are my friends because we can relate of one topic or another, or share some common interests. Some don't like some of my music and that's okay. I'm turning my girlfriend here onto music she would never be able to enjoy otherwise because of my eclectic tastes and the amount of music I have. She likes Thai music and I really don't, seeing that they try and copy western pop and their language doesn't correspond well with a lot of western style instrumentation. I do like some Thai music, mostly instrumental. I grew up near NYC and heard old R&B all that time, and still love it now. It's much better than modern day R&B. Yes, I can be close friends with anyone who listens to music other than what I like, if we have other things in common.

As you seem to concur with me that music choice is very much cultural, and since culture is extremely important to me, I DO choose my friends, at least partially, based on music preferences.

I also base my friends, very much, based on their being a product of certain cultures, rather than other cultures.

I am not ashamed to admit it, because I think that most people do the same.

For example, I prefer friends who enjoy classical music. But, I most prefer friends who most enjoy chamber music, and JS Bach solo cello.

And, as I say, if they cannot appreciate Sarah Vaughan, then I will not associate with people of this nature.

Culture is important.

And, this is one reason why most of us from the west are usually unable to truly appreciate Indian films.

And, since culture is important, and realizing that American culture has now changed so radically since 1979, this is the reason that I will never return the the America that has already been long lost.

I would return to the USA of yesterday, but not the one of today.

I am unable to live with aliens, due to the far divide between their culture and mine.

America is now inhabited by aliens, and I do not mean immigrants, migrants, or those entering over borders, or swimming rivers.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, stoner said:

no.

In my view...

Yes.

But, Lauryn Hill is no comparison, and no competition for Chapman.

No matter how you package it, Lauryn's music is still GHETTO GARBAGE RAP, and I will not tolerate it.

image.png.cbe0380589e56603e1506bd6717f4d3b.png

Chapman is so much greater and far better.

And, not a moment of the trashy origins that fuel Lauryn Hill, and her garbage rap.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As you seem to concur with me that music choice is very much cultural, and since culture is extremely important to me, I DO choose my friends, at least partially, based on music preferences.

I also base my friends, very much, based on their being a product of certain cultures, rather than other cultures.

I am not ashamed to admit it, because I think that most people do the same.

For example, I prefer friends who enjoy classical music. But, I most prefer friends who most enjoy chamber music, and JS Bach solo cello.

And, as I say, if they cannot appreciate Sarah Vaughan, then I will not associate with people of this nature.

Culture is important.

And, this is one reason why most of us from the west are usually unable to truly appreciate Indian films.

And, since culture is important, and realizing that American culture has now changed so radically since 1979, this is the reason that I will never return the the America that has already been long lost.

I would return to the USA of yesterday, but not the one of today.

I am unable to live with aliens, due to the far divide between their culture and mine.

America is now inhabited by aliens, and I do not mean immigrants, migrants, or those entering over borders, or swimming rivers.

Music choice is personal preference, no matter the culture. I like Mexican music, Flamenco, African and World music and others. I base my friendships on what I listed, and it has nothing to do with where they come from or nationality. America is the same as it ever was in most ways. Media brings news to us a lot more than before. Your culture is American, and you cannot escape that. Aliens are people, like you, that move to other countries. I am looking forward to moving back to the US, as it has everything anyone could want, from everywhere on earth.

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No matter how you package it, Lauryn's music is still GHETTO GARBAGE RAP, and I will not tolerate it.

clearly not as connected to the culture as you think. you just keep going on and on then. 

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, not a moment of the trashy origins that fuel Lauryn Hill, and her garbage rap.

don't hate me cause i'm beautiful. 

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

clearly not as connected to the culture as you think

You are exactly correct, and this is the point of this Topic.

Culture matters.

In my view, Sarah Vaughan is far better than Chapman ever could be.

Yet, I still like Chapman, a graduate of Tufts, which is a cultural plus for me.

11 minutes ago, stoner said:

don't hate me cause i'm beautiful. 

Again, it is NOT about beauty, superficial beauty.

And, what is culturally beautiful to me is not the same for you.

And, I choose my friends based upon culture, almost predominantly.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Again, it is NOT about beauty, superficial beauty.

did you even watch what keri was doing ? sigh. disappointed in this response. what is a woman ? 

Edited by stoner

29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Your culture is American, and you cannot escape that.

There is no single American culture.

There are American cultures of different periods in American history.

In addition, I have resided outside America for most of my life, and so the cultures that have shaped my preferences are not the same for those who have remained in the American culture of the 50s, as it has continued to evolve until present day.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Me too,

If you're not a Brit, I don't want to speak to you!

Meaning a Brit of which period in Britain's cultural history?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, stoner said:

what about white chocolate ? 

I say...

"NO

NO

NO"

I prefer black music (jazz, jazz instrumental, jazz singing, of the decades 1940s, 1950s. 1960s.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

I say...

"NO

NO

NO"

I prefer black music (jazz, jazz instrumental, jazz singing, of the decades 1940s, 1950s. 1960s.

So it's really only about the music for you. Otherwise you would not close off to so much of the culture without learning from it as well. It's not all garbage but you don't want to hear it.

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

So much of music appreciation is culturally based, and perhaps even related to one's intellect, that I do wonder how anyone could manage to be close friends with someone unable to appreciate BLACK COFFEE.

Here is what I mean:

During recent decades most of us have suffered under the deluge of Ghetto Rap Music flooding our world.

Where did this Ghetto Black Music actually come from?

The swamp?

There was a time, not long ago, when Black Music was just about the only kind of jazz that I could listen to.

And, I would not usually associate with, or befriend, those who were unable to appreciate black music.

Even the Blues Brothers loved Black Music.

But, I am not talking about the Blues Brother Type of Black Music.

Because, the Black Music that was truly most special was the Black Music produced in the 30s, up until the 60s, and it had to be jazz, too.

I could not be close friends with anyone unable to appreciate the beauty of Sarah's voice.

And, these days, with the immense cultural shift that has happened in America during the past five decades, is the ability to appreciate Sarah's voice a lost art, and something not accessible to the youth of today?

Now, maybe,

Back to listening to Sarah on my sound system, or..

I mean my computer with 11 speakers attached.

Best regards,

Gamma

Please come back to normal life. Or do you need help? A psychologist or psychiatrist eventually?

I'm worried.😳