Expats angry at huge concessions in latest Thai visa announcements

To put 800,000 Baht into a bank account for a retirement visa is really not necessary 😁Many falangs, especially in Pattaya, know the "cheap, short cut" visa with an agent 👍And the Immigration appreciate 😁

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You mean another incorrect fact.

The real fact is that only tax residents MAY have to pay tax.

A "retirement visa", whatever you mean by that, or any other type of visa does not equate to tax residency.

What on earth makes you think that those on DTV would be excluded from becoming tax residents?

I think you should inform yourself. If not it makes no sense for me to communicate with you🥴

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

To put 800,000 Baht into a bank account for a retirement visa is really not necessary 😁Many falangs, especially in Pattaya, know the "cheap, short cut" visa with an agent 👍And the Immigration appreciate 😁

How much does that cost in total?

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

The 10,000THB payment is one time only, that gives you a 5 year visa with border runs every 180 days? Or you have to pay 10,000THB every entry?

If it is a one time fee of 10,000THB, and all you need to do is do a border bounce twice a year, it sounds like a much better deal than keeping 800,000THB locked in a Thai bank account etc.

The fish sauce is in the details!

The DTV visa allows stays of up to 180 days with a visa issuance fee of 10,000 baht, valid for five years. DTV holders can extend their stay once for an additional 180 days with another 10,000 baht fee and may request to change the type of visa within the country.

• You must prove that you possess at least 500,000 THB in your bank account to support your stay in the country.
  • You must provide proof of employment with a registered company.
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, lapamita said:

I never understand People buying Elite cards.

I am over 30 Years here , and since 5 Years only half of the year ,bcs more easy living and better clima in other country.

Everchanging rules , I had Investment Visa based on  3mb  about 20 years ago, and under Taxsim , rules get changed , even it was Grandfatherd . 3mb must than stay in Goverment bank at 0% ( 0%policy of intrest for foreigner at this time) what was bringing an intrest loss per anum of aprox 200,000 thb ( local intrests at 6-7% at this time) , or the cost of visa to 200.000 ,+++

than i get the visa for 20k special from bkk immigration , and when thats not possible later ,i was travel to philippines and send passport to honorary conulate receiving a multi 1 year non b /o ( not illegal because staying outside thailand during visa aplication), and the story goes on , when this not possible more  with boarderruns and various visas.

I am even not want stay in thai more the whole year , but that i come back in June here ..get only 30 day stamp, gone 10 day abroad , 2 days longer because of the 60 days start 15.7  ...and what i received at 13h on 15.07  at the swampi airport only 30 days AMAZING THALAND, i go back overseas on 20.8 wiath 7 day overstay

and thats one or the reasons , i left thailand , ever changing rules, senseless anouncment.

PS  I dont like India , but 2 times a year i there for 3,4 days to some reason ,  but one thing they issue  a 5 year Tourist Visa valid for up to 180 days per year for 80 USD , i ts easy and 1 stamp in passport for 5 years.   ..so and that make really sense , compare to all the s**** thais making

I understand where you're coming from, living in retirement for over 20 years, and commend you for your efforts putting this post together, obviously English is not your first language.

A pox on the "ba ba bor bor" (idiots) who think you are confused!

Edited by bdenner
Typo
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Agent a friend of mine uses charges 12,500 for the 1 year extension.

If you’re on a non-IMM OA & don’t have Health Insurance it’s an extra 2,500.  

Thanks. That seems cheap. I read before that someone had paid 20,000. I guess it varies. 

• Like 2

I'm waiting to see if anyone on a Destination Thailand Visa succeeds in getting a Residence Certificate and a Thai drivers license or being able to open a bank account..... Basically is it considered to be a 'Long Term' visa?

Andrew

• Confused 1

It's not the same, you need to leave the kingdom and re-enter, to keep it going; and we don't know for how long time it will last...:whistling:

Furthermore, it's just like buying a new fridge and two month later see that it's price-reduced with 5,000 baht – I'm talking from experience...☹️ – and that was exactly the same product...😉

The way I read the TM-30 regulation is::

Once a foreigner lands the head at a hotel, condo, friends house and etc, a TM-30 MUST be done within 24 hours by a authorized person such as: a House Master, Landlord, Possessor or Renter of said property.

Once a foreigner moves from point A to point B and lays the head down, the TM-30 starts again from the get go.

It mostly depends on the local IO policy. Many have stated after returning back to their Thailand home from a over seas trip, SOME did not have to do a NEW TM-30, OTHERS, including MYSELF, HAVE been required to do a NEW TM-30 ( same address 3 years ) at my local IO.

I went on holiday this week, the hotel DID a TM-30, so,  off to my local IO Monday to do a new TM-30.  I will state that MY local IO is stress free 95%, service oriented 100% and friendly 100% and they are 8 bicycle minutes from my front door.

1 minute ago, edwardflory said:

The way I read the TM-30 regulation is::

Once a foreigner lands the head at a hotel, condo, friends house and etc, a TM-30 MUST be done within 24 hours by a authorized person such as: a House Master, Landlord, Possessor or Renter of said property.

Once a foreigner moves from point A to point B and lays the head down, the TM-30 starts again from the get go.

It mostly depends on the local IO policy. Many have stated after returning back to their Thailand home from a over seas trip, SOME did not have to do a NEW TM-30, OTHERS, including MYSELF, HAVE been required to do a NEW TM-30 ( same address 3 years ) at my local IO.

I went on holiday this week, the hotel DID a TM-30, so,  off to my local IO Monday to do a new TM-30.  I will state that MY local IO is stress free 95%, service oriented 100% and friendly 100% and they are 8 bicycle minutes from my front door.

It can now be done online as well ..to save you the trip to your IO. 

5 hours ago, racket said:

If he stays on the elite visa program for 16 years, he’ll end up paying just 6,770 baht per month, which is quite reasonable compared to other long-term residency options.

The Elite Visa "was", until now (?) a considerable option for people under 50 years old, or people who don't care too much about money. The "benefits" and amenities are marginal, nearly ridiculous compared to the price. The Elite visa (like you mentioned) qualifies for nothing!

Except spending your money in the country, and an extension for a rip-off payment again.

So, those who want to be "Elite", pay the price for it.

The new DTV is half-cooked, and still, nobody knows exactly about the small print and what "adjustments" will follow for sure.

Some IOs confirm the endless bouncing cycle. Not only a wet dream of all those MacBook owners, boosting the economy from the beach on KPG.

Other IOs actually, don't even stamp in the 60 days on arrival. TiT.

The old shopping rule, to read the tags, and the manual briefly, before buying, comes into play. 

The calculated 6670 Bah/month for 16 years (quite long), is only reasonable at first glance.

With an EOS for retirement, for example, you come to a monthly amount of 2.53 (TWO!) Baht, for the same time.

This is a bargain! 

The shorter the time, the bigger the difference.

On top, the 800k Baht in your bank account, or whatever the amount will be in the future, is still your money!

Not diminished in the coffers of the visa "hub".

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A Non-Immigrant visa allows you to open bank accounts, obtain a driving licence and other privileges that the 60 day stamps and DTV don't support.

Also, you don't qualify for the DTV, because you are a retiree, and that is not a category that it supports.

I got my first bank account in Thailand with a 30 day holiday visa and even got a triton pickup on finance doing 30 day visa runs (waiting for a work permit that never arrived). I've never had a problem opening a bank account in Thailand. 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zack61 said:

This new visa arrangement suits me just great. I hope it doesn’t change. Anyone with a marriage or retirement visa would be silly not to take advantage of it. Assuming it isn’t changed. 

Why would you be silly not to take advantage of it?

I visit the Immigration office once a year with my lawyer at an appointed time and leave about 10 to 15 minutes later with the retirement extension legally in my passport.

The 90 day reporting takes about 15 minutes a year out of my life.

I don’t think that’s too complicated.

• Agree 1