Drunk driver kills 13 year old girl buying food for ill mother

Nuray.jpg

A tragic accident occurred when a drunk driver hit and killed a 13 year old girl who was buying food for her ill mother. The incident left beer bottles scattered in the car, with the grieving mother holding her deceased daughter and repeatedly saying, “I’m sorry.”

Police reported that late last night, July 21, an accident was reported to an investigative officer with Mueang Ratchaburi Police Station, Natthaphong Achar-am. The crash, which involved a car and a motorcycle, resulted in one fatality. The incident took place on the old Khao Ngou Road in Ratchaburi.

At the scene, near a drinks shop, the body of 13 year old A (a pseudonym) was found. Nearby was her severely damaged Yamaha Scoopy motorcycle.

Her mother, 52 year old B (a pseudonym), was seen embracing her daughter’s body, tearfully apologising and calling out her daughter’s name.

The other vehicle involved, a green Toyota Camry with Bangkok plates, was found about 10 metres away from the accident site, with significant damage to its front bumper and a broken left front wheel. Beer bottles, both opened and unopened were found inside the car.

The driver, later identified as 56 year old Wihok (surname withheld) from Bangkok, was apprehended by locals and rescue workers. Wihok exhibited signs of intoxication and admitted to consuming multiple bottles of alcohol. He was taken into custody by the police for further questioning.

Preliminary investigations

Preliminary investigations revealed that before the accident, A had ridden out to buy food for her mother, who suffers from depression. She had stopped by the roadside to answer a phone call from her mother when Wihok, driving at high speed, lost control on a curve and struck A, throwing her into the nearby drinks shop. She died instantly.

An eyewitness recounted he was riding his motorcycle behind the car on his way home.

“The car was moving so fast that I didn’t dare get close. When we reached the spot, I saw the girl had just parked her motorcycle by the roadside.

“The car veered off the curve and hit her, killing her instantly. The car then came to a stop in the middle of the road.

“The driver didn’t get out and tried to rev the engine to flee but the car couldn’t move because the front wheel was broken. When we approached to tell him to get out, the smell of alcohol was overwhelming, and he admitted he was drunk.”

Police interviewed witnesses and reviewed nearby CCTV footage. Wihok’s blood alcohol level was found to be 222 milligrams per percent. He faces charges of causing severe injury and death by drunk driving. Additionally, the car’s registration and insurance were found to be expired.

A’s body was sent to the forensic centre at Ratchaburi Hospital for a thorough autopsy before being returned to her family for religious rites, reported Khaosod.

By Sarishti Arora

Picture courtesy of Nuray from pexels.com

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-07-22

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 10

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

Also what is too common is perps buying their way out of incarceration. 

True enough, but you need a fair bit of cash to do that apparently. 

Reading that the car registration and insurance had expired, it suggests that this idiot hasn't got that much.

I hope he gets hammered. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A 13 year old riding a motorbike in dangerous Thailand, enough said. Most likely also did not wear a quality helmet. An inexperienced rider is unable to avoid many accidents therefore also responsible for her death.  A 13 year old is not able to obtain a legal license. I would suggest the auto driver get himself a very good attorney.

• Sad 6

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Wihok’s blood alcohol level was found to be 222 milligrams per percent.

This part of the article is confusing to me.

Extremely sad case, and enough to provoke anger in almost anyone.

If not the death penalty, then life without parole.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd invent a new law - world wide - that anybody that kills someone when drink driving, is now fully responsible for the financial upkeep of the family effected for the next 20 years.

If they fail to pay, they go prison for 20 years.

Simple.

Even in some developed countries i.e. Italy, one can be held responsible for the family of one killed by a drunk driver.  Not sure how many other countries have a similar law or not.  As for Italy, I know this was the case many years ago as a co-worker hit a guy that was crossing a road at night in a rainstorm.  Lawyers eventually got the co-worker out of that but he still had to pay quite a large sum of money.

9 hours ago, Keep Right said:

A 13 year old riding a motorbike in dangerous Thailand, enough said. Most likely also did not wear a quality helmet. An inexperienced rider is unable to avoid many accidents therefore also responsible for her death.  A 13 year old is not able to obtain a legal license. I would suggest the auto driver get himself a very good attorney.

nice victim blaming dude

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd invent a new law - world wide - that anybody that kills someone when drink driving, is now fully responsible for the financial upkeep of the family effected for the next 20 years.

If they fail to pay, they go prison for 20 years.

Simple.

I was told by a Japanese friend when I told him I wanted to rent a car for my vacation in Japan. He told me that if you are involved in a serious accident due to your fault, you are liable to feed the family of the deceased for life. 

1 hour ago, rocketboy2 said:

Children  on motor bikes.,

R.I.P little girl

The Government, Parents, Police, and schools, have  all failed you. :sad:

This is Thailand. A land of pragmatism. You make do with what you have and can. The social safety net of the west is non existent here. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ctkong said:

This is Thailand. A land of pragmatism. You make do with what you have and can. The social safety net of the west is non existent here. 

It should be,  to some extent.

I believe Thailand needs to move forward.

Do 13 year old little girls, need to die on motor bikes. ? in your book :bah:

1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

Technically the girl should not have been riding a motorbike.

However, at the time of the incident she wasn't, she was at the side of the road.

We all know kids ride bikes from a very young age here. It is often a the only form of transport the family have and vital in rural areas.

It sounds like you're victim blaming here!

i did not blame the victim.. i blame the mother and the driver. Both were at fault. Your comment shows you think if everyone does something illegal then it should be ok. Who cares if thousands of kids are driving illegally. they are not my kids. But when one gets hurt the parents should be held responsible for allowing and even encouraging them to break the law and driver illegally.That poor girl would not be dead if the mother had a sense of responsibility and did not send her on the bike to do that. There are neighbors and family abnd friends she could have asked other than a 13 year old kid. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keep Right said:

and who gave the 13 year old the keys to the motorbike? Don't tell me, also no matter how good the attorney is, the drunk driver should be heavily fined and jailed for a very long time.

• Agree 1

On 7/22/2024 at 11:08 AM, Keep Right said:

Ok, but that is not the case here.  The deceased was not driving a motorbike. She was stopped on the side of the road, when she was hit;

She had stopped by the roadside to answer a phone call from her mother when Wihok, driving at high speed, lost control on a curve and struck A, throwing her into the nearby drinks shop.   Even if the girl had been on the motorbike, and was otherwise acting responsibly,  the automobile driver would retain legal liability if he was driving at high speed and had lost control.  The unlawful activity of another does not automatically excuse or diminish the the wrongful act of another.

As for the helmet, when a pedestrian is hit by a motor vehicle do you raise the issue of the pedestrian not wearing a quality helmet? If the deceased was  not on a motorbike and not in a  moving traffic lane, then the deceased, for the purposes of determining legal liability for the injury, was a pedestrian.   

There is no need to over think this. If the facts of the case are correct as stated, the  automobile driver is 100% liable and will be guilty of vehicular manslaughter.

ot driving, not in  a vehicle travel lane and not 

• Agree 1

On 7/23/2024 at 7:05 AM, thesetat2013 said:

i did not blame the victim.. i blame the mother and the driver. Both were at fault. Your comment shows you think if everyone does something illegal then it should be ok. Who cares if thousands of kids are driving illegally. they are not my kids. But when one gets hurt the parents should be held responsible for allowing and even encouraging them to break the law and driver illegally.That poor girl would not be dead if the mother had a sense of responsibility and did not send her on the bike to do that. There are neighbors and family abnd friends she could have asked other than a 13 year old kid. 

I never said the mother has no responsibility, however it is incomparable to that of the drunk driver.

I agree they should enforce the law about kids on bikes along with many other things they let go.