Bangkok-Vientiane Train Service Launches with Full Capacity

webfact

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Upon its arrival at Nong Khai Station, Station Master Veera Charoenrang, along with a dedicated team of immigration officers, managed the necessary border formalities. These included immigration checks,

So exactly the same as it has always been but with longer queues, I wonder how long the wait was on the Laos side, did they bother with extra immigration officers ? 

There was only one immigration officer at Nong Khai when I went across. 

Just another load of BS by the PM. 

nonkaistnimmigration.jpg.8aee053c091134b24625e213de575012.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference:

The outward and return journeys are overnight - there are no daytime services.

The train leaves Bangkok (Bang Sue Grand Station) at 21.25 to arrive in Vientiane at 09.05 (11 hours and 40 minutes). Train Number 133.

There is no mention of a restaurant/buffet car, but no doubt along the way the vendors will be on with their baskets of "goodies" in the seated accomodation.

Sleeper berths are in great demand so book well in advance. Further details-

https://www.thailandtrains.com/trains-from-bangkok-to-vientiane/

Great information thanks Burma Bill!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I checked and apparently the train stops at Khon Kaen at 5am and you can get on there. Obviously the 133 makes a lot of stops from Bangkok and the list of stations is on this website - from Nong Khai I assume you catch the bus across the bridge and into Laos.  Think I would prefer to drive car and just park on the Thailand side. 

Rapid No. 133: Bangkok to Nong Khai – Richard Barrow's Thai Train Guide

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy
  • Confused 5

18 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I checked and apparently the train stops at Khon Kaen at 5am and you can get on there. Obviously the 133 makes a lot of stops from Bangkok and the list of stations is on this website - from Nong Khai I assume you catch the bus across the bridge and into Laos.  Think I would prefer to drive car and just park on the Thailand side. 

For the up-to-date version; https://www.thailandtrains.com/trains-from-bangkok-to-vientiane/

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

With respect, the train crosses the bridge to continue its journey to Vientiane. Thai Immigration is situated in Nong Khai Station and Laos Immigration is at the terminal station in Vientiane.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

21 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, the train crosses the bridge to continue its journey to Vientiane. Thai Immigration is situated in Nong Khai Station and Laos Immigration is at the terminal station in Vientiane.

I have been there and over the Friendship bridge and back (in a bus).

There is a 'shuttle train' that I am aware of - but nothing more.

Do you get on in Bangkok and then get off the same train in Laos? Not what I thought it was/is. 

Don’t be stuck in traffic, take a train to Laos instead, says SRT (nationthailand.com)

Train Guide to Laos – Richard Barrow's Thai Train Guide

Anyone actually got on the train in Thailand and then got off in Laos?

Maybe they have built something new that is not showing on websites or Google Earth?

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your comments. 

This is a new service (from July 2024) with one overnight train (133) from Bangkok through to Vientiane. Sleeping and seating accomodation is provided. At Nong Khai Station (not at the bridge) passengers for Vientiane alight to complete Thai Immigration formalities before re-boarding the train to continue across the bridge to Vientiane Station (not the HST one), where Laos Immigration is formalised. 

As far as I know, and I may be wrong, the only new construction is the Thai Immigration Office at Nong Khai Station along with refurbishment of the track. The narrow gauge (one metre) railway infrastructure between Nong Khai and Vientiane has been in place for many years when the Friendship Bridge was built, hence nothing new on Google Earth. 

The above photo in the report, shows passengers from the Bangkok train, queing for Thai Immigration at Nong Khai before re-boarding to continue their journey to Vientiane. This answers your question "Anyone actually got on the train in Thailand and then got off in Laos" - YES

I refer again to -  https://www.thailandtrains.com/trains-from-bangkok-to-vientiane/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2024 at 10:49 AM, webfact said:

For those seeking more comfort, air-conditioned sleeper cars range from 784 baht to 874 baht for upper and lower berths respectively.

If it is comfort that I cared about, then I would just have my chauffeur drive me over the border in my 1974 Bentley Corniche.

image.png.7f04823eedab6803b13bb0961d5ee0cc.png

This is the way they do it in HK when they want to visit the mainland....