wise email today?

12 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Yes but are you sure there are no fees at recipient end, because no service will show those fees, as they are unknown to them

Check the reviews.  Recipient end fees, plus a few other " hidden extras" have been complained about by numerous customers.  

28 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Yes but are you sure there are no fees at recipient end, because no service will show those fees, as they are unknown to them

Pretty sure not as WU do the conversion (like Wise do).  Amount I showed was for a bank transfer, if a cash pickup would be 138,359.

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Pretty sure not as WU do the conversion (like Wise do).  Amount I showed was for a bank transfer, if a cash pickup would be 138,359.

That WU does the conversion isn't a guarantee that the recipient bank doesn't deduct any additional fees. I can send Thai baht (my home bank doing the conversion) to my account by swift but the Thai bank will still charge the same fees as if I sent foreign currency.

I once received a payment by XE from a friend in Australia, and although XE email me with the exact amount in Thai baht my friend had sent, I got charged quite high fees once it arrived in my account.

Have a look here where I posted this in another Wise thread.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Is there a cheaper way to do it ..

regards Worgeordie

I pay Wise by debit card, not by bank transfer. 

Wise point out that bank transfers may attract bank fees, but make no mention of that happening for debit card payments.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I pay Wise by debit card, not by bank transfer. 

Wise point out that bank transfers may attract bank fees, but make no mention of that happening for debit card payments.

The bank fees they are mentioning are those from your own bank, but I have never seen that mention anyway.

You click on the fees tab, and it will show the different fees Wise will charge depending on which method you use to transfer the money to them.

image.png.54fc66e1c55cca77428517fbadd345e5.png

Edited by CallumWK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, proton said:

This was in the email, been using it for years, they say its needed by law

We need some more info from you to keep your account working.
Because of the way we’re regulated, we’re required by law to collect additional information from you.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Click the button below
2. You’ll be asked to upload a new picture of your ID, and take a selfie so we can verify it’s really you
3. That’s it — as soon as we verify your ID you’re all set

Should take all of 5 minutes.

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

And your Google account is based on an email address, right?

the email address you use to login may be different to your Google account 

Edited by scubascuba3

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

the email address you use to login may be different to your Google account 

What in the world are you on about? If you login with Google, that means you are logging in with an email that you are already logged in with on your Google account. You can not use another Google account next time to reach the same Wise account.

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

What in the world are you on about? If you login with Google, that means you are logging in with an email that you are already logged in with on your Google account. You can not use another Google account next time to reach the same Wise account.

over your head

Just logged into my account on the website. No red banner and no message in the notices requiring the photo ID. I don't have the app. Don't want it. Just use the website. I only transfer money from my US bank account to my Thai bank. And btw no email that I noticed. But it could have been lost in spam. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

I too received said email yesterday. Will update through the app on mobile phone.

Had email to my questions, while not saying what the legal requirement is they say everybody will be asked to do it and to update any personal changes

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Had email to my questions, while not saying what the legal requirement is they say everybody will be asked to do it and to update any personal changes

That clarifies things.

The message says they require extra information, but are asking for the exact same things that they already have from me. I.e. In my case a copy of my passport ID page and a selfie.

What they are after is any actual changes / updates to that info., such as a new passport

16 hours ago, proton said:

They sent an email saying they need to have photo ID to keep the account open, seemed legit. Anyone else get this, don't have one of their cards just transfer funds

When people make enquires about Wise they should clarify what they are trying to do and where. Regulations vary from country to country and can be subject to change.

I had to provide photo ID to open my account in the UK, it is a card bearing account rather than just money transfer. An article I noticed recently.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

over your head

I don´t think so. Work with Google and computers everyday. If you login to Wise with Google, you are logging in with the mail registered to that Google account.

10 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

The photo request is a bit odd. What would they match it up to? You could send a photo of Tom Selleck. How would they know it is not you?

We all have to lodge a copy of our passport when we open an account with Wise. With facial recognition software it's easy to compare your photo ID with the photo on your passport. One of my pension providers does it every year in order to confirm I'm still alive.

Edited by Moonlover

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I don´t think so. Work with Google and computers everyday. If you login to Wise with Google, you are logging in with the mail registered to that Google account.

No, you can set up Wise using an email address, that can be hotmail, rocketmail, anything

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

No, you can set up Wise using an email address, that can be hotmail, rocketmail, anything

Of course, but you are logging in with Google. Do you mean, you can register with a hotmail and later login with Google?

9 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Of course, but you are logging in with Google. Do you mean, you can register with a hotmail and later login with Google?

Google is not an email client, it's a company that provides services like an internet browser

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Google is not an email client, it's a company that provides services like an internet browser

When did I say the Google is an email client? What I am saying is that a Google account is connected to a gmail. 

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2024 at 9:52 PM, proton said:

They sent an email saying they need to have photo ID to keep the account open, seemed legit. Anyone else get this, don't have one of their cards just transfer funds

The last time i used Wise was May 2023!

I didn’t get a email . I was curious so I went on the app to look for a PHOTO ID notification after reading the thread , I only got a notice to set a 2fa password word . So far no request for a Photo ID.