Bangkok Ranked 30th in Global Tourist Risk Index by Forbes Advisor

webfact

Bangkok in top 30 most dangerous cities for tourists
by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Screenshot-2024-07-24-152455-1.webp
Photo courtesy of The Nation

Bangkok has been named the 30th most dangerous city for tourists, according to a recent Forbes Advisor article. The article, 12 Best Travel Insurance Companies of July 2024, compared 60 international cities across seven key risk metrics.

The cities were evaluated on travel safety, crime risk, personal security risk, health security risk, infrastructure security risk, natural disaster risk, and digital security risk. Topping the list as the riskiest city was Caracas, Venezuela, with a perfect risk score of 100 out of 100. Karachi followed closely with a score of 93.12, and Yangon ranked third with 91.67. Lagos in Nigeria and Manila also made the top five, scoring 91.54 and 91.49 respectively.

Bangkok received a risk score of 53.34, placing it 30th overall. The Thai capital’s highest risk scores were in the crime and health security categories, both at 39. Infrastructure risk scored 22, digital security risk 17, and personal security risk was relatively low at 5.

On the flip side, Singapore was named the safest city for tourists, boasting a risk score of zero. Tokyo, Toronto, Sydney, and Zurich rounded out the top five safest cities, with scores of 10.72, 13.6, 22.28, and 22.97, respectively.

When compared to other Southeast Asian cities, Bangkok emerged as the second safest after Singapore. Kuala Lumpur followed in third place with a score of 55.36, Ho Chi Minh City came next with 61.83, and Jakarta trailed with a high-risk score of 81.98, reported The Nation.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-25

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's all the dodgy foreigners arriving here now, making Thailand cities very dangerous. 

The worst thing about Thailand is some of the foreigners.

OMG, didn't take long for a thai apologist to comment... do you really think there's enough tourist to bias the stats... SMH

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I would have thought Pattaya would top Bangkok, or even Phuket due to the taxi mafia.

Looking at the metrics used in the ranking, missing is the population equalizer "per capita" - whether it be related to total general population or tourists (aka visitors). 

• Bangkok has a population of 11,234,000 vs 22.8 million visitors (2023) compared to Pattya 115,840 population vs planned 27 million visitors for 2024.

While Singapore ranked #1 with 0 risk score, if compared to other Southeast Asian cities, Bangkok ranked #2 as safest for tourists. 

Bangkok also ranked #1 of the world's most visited cities in 2023 vs Singpore ranked #5. 

So subject ranking appears dubious at best and irrational at worst.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I would have thought Pattaya would top Bangkok, or even Phuket due to the taxi mafia.

I doubt a possibly more expensive ride in a taxi tips the risk index much.

2 hours ago, TJS1 said:

30th out of 60 cities is exactly average risk, non story

30th on a list of 60 means (ha!) that Bangkok is at the median point, but not necessarily average. 

3 hours ago, TJS1 said:

30th out of 60 cities is exactly average risk, non story

....and clearly a very selective 60 cities. I have lived here almost 20 years and feel a lot safer here than in my own country - which wasn't in the 60. Most people who have commented have accpted the headline as a fact instead of questioning it. In my experience Thailand is only dangerous if you go looking for trouble.  

• Agree 2