Thailand's Visa-Free Policy Draws Record Tourist Numbers from Taiwan, India

2 hours ago, Sigmund said:

the indians and asians have far less that sense of superiority, then many of our fellow westerners tend to display in Thailand and when abroad.

Can't speak for all Asians but Chinese and Indians are two of the biggest chest thumping nationalists you could ever met. The pride they have for their countries is incredible. By comparison Europeans don't seem to care much about their countries at all.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

This begs the question, how are the Thai's dealing with all these millions of Indians? All indication is they don't like Indians much and would avoid traveling to India except as a measure of last resort. Frankly India appears from the outside like a global embarrassment and Thai people are aware too. Yes, I've seen some nice areas in Mumbai etc... but those are the minority. No idea where the bulk of the Indian tourists are coming from.

Taiwan however is another matter. Looks like a nicer country than Thailand in many regards and they seem well respected by the Thai's. My wife wants me to visit Taiwan with here since she want once and said it was great and I'd probably like it better than Thailand. 🙂

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is no longer attracting very many Western tourists for a dozen very good reasons. Right now it is predominantly Malaysian, Indian, Arab, Chinese, and Russian. One could argue that these are relatively low quality tourists, in terms of the amounts of money that they spend. Sure you have a few wealthy Russians and some wealthy Chinese, but most are lower to middle income and don't spend alot. 

This process will not be reversed until the authorities wake up and make some sacrifices such as lowering luxury taxes, lowering wine taxes, cleaning up the air, making the highways safer, allowing more private air travel, helicopter travel, high-speed trains and alternatives to the totally choked and extremely hazardous highways. 

And now they have invited in the Bratva, by opening up the country to all Russians. Quantity over quality only works if you are selling $2 items at a swap meet. Dumb and dumber. 

As right as you may be, governments don't tend to do any of the things you suggest, and that's the problem

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Can't speak for all Asians but Chinese and Indians are two of the biggest chest thumping nationalists you could ever met. The pride they have for their countries is incredible. By comparison Europeans don't seem to care much about their countries at all.

Of course Europeans don't care that much about their countries,  they are slowly and deliberately having every last drop of patriotism and national pride drained out of them.  There is ultimately  no place for individual countries in the EU.  The removal of various national currencies was the start of it all, and the sheer numbers of immigrants has ensured a managed, near total loss of national identity . which is exactly what "they" intended (in their ignorance)

Should there ever be a war, who would willingly sign up to risk their lives and  fight...."for Europe"    nobody of course, because that's not how things work, loyalty and patriotism are values and honours that one bestows on one's country of birth, not a manmade faceless bureaucracy like "the eu" 

Proper professional soldiers will of course obey what ever orders they are given, but there are nowhere near enough of those anymore. When it come to conscription it might not be as easy as it was in the 2nd world war, nobody's heart will be in it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

His opinions are usually spot on, and this time he is on-point....imho

Opinions are based on evidence and reason - his comment isn't so it's not an opinion it's  just ....nothing

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is no longer attracting very many Western tourists for a dozen very good reasons. Right now it is predominantly Malaysian, Indian, Arab, Chinese, and Russian. One could argue that these are relatively low quality tourists, in terms of the amounts of money that they spend. Sure you have a few wealthy Russians and some wealthy Chinese, but most are lower to middle income and don't spend alot. 

This process will not be reversed until the authorities wake up and make some sacrifices such as lowering luxury taxes, lowering wine taxes, cleaning up the air, making the highways safer, allowing more private air travel, helicopter travel, high-speed trains and alternatives to the totally choked and extremely hazardous highways. 

And now they have invited in the Bratva, by opening up the country to all Russians. Quantity over quality only works if you are selling $2 items at a swap meet. Dumb and dumber. 

The westerners are still there. They are not as noticeable because of the higher number of non Europeans. the new 60 day visas will swell the winter time visitors from European countries.  People who didn't want the paperwork hassles of applying for visas  will gladly jump at  60 days plus an extension. It is the perfect magnet for Nordic retirees.

The advantage of the non western visitors is that they are not complainers. No Chinese national comes and complains about traffic. I doubt the visitors from Mumbai, Chennai etc. see any traffic congestion in Thailand. No need to lower alcohol taxes as it won't make a difference. The roads are as safe as Malaysia, India and China. Drivers are no worse than in Russia, but are probably more likely to be sober. All these new visitors are arriving now, a time when westerners don't usually visit. 

Get it though your head that Thailand wants a diversification of its tourists.  It is happy if muslims from Malaysia and the middle east come and don't drink. Less likely to have alcohol related problems as  is seen with westerners.

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Of course Europeans don't care that much about their countries,  they are slowly and deliberately having every last drop of patriotism and national pride drained out of them.  There is ultimately  no place for individual countries in the EU.  The removal of various national currencies was the start of it all, and the sheer numbers of immigrants has ensured a managed, near total loss of national identity . which is exactly what "they" intended (in their ignorance)

I'm doing my annual trip back to Boulder Colorado, Libtard USA to visit family and do outdoor sports. The other day I had on a shirt which was a mountain range with the American flag over it and was made for a local race right here in Colorado. When my Mom saw the shirt she asked if I was a Republican now (I'm not). The rainbow flag here out numbers the American flag at least 100 to 1.

Not even joking, if you proposed a law that flying the America flag was illegal some 10-20% of Democrats would vote for it. Hot take, but in 2024 I don't see Democrats as Americans anymore, the civil is really that bad. Please don't accuse me of being a Republican or whatever, I'm not, these are just my observations.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm doing my annual trip back to Boulder Colorado, Libtard USA to visit family and do outdoor sports. The other day I had on a shirt which was a mountain range with the American flag over it and was made for a local race right here in Colorado. When my Mom saw the shirt she asked if I was a Republican now (I'm not). The rainbow flag here out numbers the American flag at least 100 to 1.

Not even joking, if you proposed a law that flying the America flag was illegal some 10-20% of Democrats would vote for it. Hot take, but in 2024 I don't see Democrats as Americans anymore, the civil is really that bad. Please don't accuse me of being a Republican or whatever, I'm not, these are just my observations.

This has nothing to do with the Topic.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The westerners are still there. They are not as noticeable because of the higher number of non Europeans. the new 60 day visas will swell the winter time visitors from European countries.  People who didn't want the paperwork hassles of applying for visas  will gladly jump at  60 days plus an extension. It is the perfect magnet for Nordic retirees.

The advantage of the non western visitors is that they are not complainers. No Chinese national comes and complains about traffic. I doubt the visitors from Mumbai, Chennai etc. see any traffic congestion in Thailand. No need to lower alcohol taxes as it won't make a difference. The roads are as safe as Malaysia, India and China. Drivers are no worse than in Russia, but are probably more likely to be sober. All these new visitors are arriving now, a time when westerners don't usually visit. 

Get it though your head that Thailand wants a diversification of its tourists.  It is happy if muslims from Malaysia and the middle east come and don't drink. Less likely to have alcohol related problems as  is seen with westerners.

Yes. We can all see how well the welcoming of the Russians and the Bratva is working out in Phuket. 

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Most democrats are not liberal. Most are centrist. And we are American, as much as you are. We just don't like voting for a bankruptcy king, who is a liar and a hater, cares not one iota for his devotees, does not have a nanogram of decency or grace, and cannot negotiate his way out of a paper bag. 

• Love It 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One could argue that these are relatively low quality tourists, in terms of the amounts of money that they spend

The share of the Western economies is on steady decline over decades, while the “South” is a rise. The wealth of tourists following after economies, so Thailand is just aiming for the future.

Edited by VBer

2 hours ago, VBer said:

The share of the Western economies is on steady decline over decades, while the “South” is a rise. The wealth of tourists following after economies, so Thailand is just aiming for the future.

I wish I could interpret that. What did you mean to say? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Most democrats are not liberal. Most are centrist. And we are American, as much as you are. We just don't like voting for a bankruptcy king, who is a liar and a hater, cares not one iota for his devotees, does not have a nanogram of decency or grace, and cannot negotiate his way out of a paper bag. 

I only ever lived in Colorado and South Carolina so I have a very narrow view of the whole country. Thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The advantage of the non western visitors is that they are not complainers.

do we not complain about valid issues though? Dangerous driving, soi dogs, burning, corrupt officials etc... I think most Thai people agree with us even if their culture prevents them saying anything.

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

I only ever lived in Colorado and South Carolina so I have a very narrow view of the whole country. Thanks for sharing.

Good on you. Both very nice areas. People tend to be more normal. LOL. More decent. Less affected. Less stress. 

10 hours ago, kwaussie said:

This has nothing to do with the Topic.

Well that's the beauty of open debate, its a bit like a word association game , a wide and eclectic  selection of varied comments and the replies they receive all help to keep the threads fresh and interesting and prevent boredom setting in before they have run to more than a single page.

Perhaps you might now like to make an  interesting comment that adds  something to the thread,    because your first and only  attempt here failed miserably, I'm at a loss as to why you actually bothered to write it. Just for you information, there are moderators who will deal with such matters, no need for you to get involved

On 7/25/2024 at 6:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

Lost count of the number of times you've posted that falsehood regarding Western tourism. You came out with it pre-Covid when Western tourism was increasing albeit by small numbers which is understandable given they are mature markets. You then said they wouldn't come back post Covid and never reach previous levels, surprise surprise you were wrong again.

Thailand is and always has been a mass market destination while also having plenty of exclusive offerings for the smaller number of high value to tourists. However if you are trying to keep a huge volume of the unskilled labour force employed it's only natural you look to the high volume growth markets of the future. 

Thailand's tourism growth is founded upon developing new markets while retaining it's traditional mature markets, the fact it can retain disaffected malcontents like yourself speaks to its resilience and the positives it offers for all.

Edited by kinyara
Addition
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Don Meung airport last night around 11 pm was empty, 

Guess they were being dropped by spaceship directly to there hotels after the Space Immigration officers checked them in....beam me down Scotty.

• Haha 1

If one is broke obviously India is not the place of first choice. But if one has a decent spending power, India is a great place to be with great services and healthcare and very friendly to foreigners. The shopping is also amazing and Indian food is one of the best in the world if one goes to the decent restaurants of course.