Net Zero: A Path to Poverty for the West, Prosperity for China

Social Media

On 7/26/2024 at 12:51 PM, khunjeff said:

The amazing thing about science is that it works regardless of whether you believe in it. No matter where climate change is "on the list of voter priorities", it's still happening.

Climate change seems to me to be a religion rather than a science.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

This article is about the west and its self destructive path to impoverish itself with its hare brained net zero policies, which will only serve to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, whilst making not one iota of difference to the climate.  Thailand is not on this path.   

As I have already stated, this article is biased and misleading.

As for Thailand you are wrong on that as well.

“Thailand aims to achieve peak greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, carbon neutrality by 2050, and net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2065”

https://www.nbr.org/publication/thailands-path-toward-carbon-neutrality-and-the-implications-for-the-mekong-subregion/

• Haha 1

Green Energy and Net Zero will kill what's left of the manufacturing base in the West.
But that's ok - it will move to China and BRICS nations.  The West is toast.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said on Saturday that the global transition to a low-carbon economy requires $3 trillion in new capital each year through 2050, far above current annual financing, but that filling the gap is the biggest economic opportunity of the 21st century.

Yellen said in Belem, Brazil's Amazon gateway city, that reaching net-zero emissions goals remained a top priority for the Biden-Harris administration and this would require leadership far beyond U.S. borders.

https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/sustainable-finance-reporting/yellen-says-3-trillion-needed-annually-climate-financing-far-more-than-current-2024-07-27/

That's $78,000,000,000,000 by 2050.  Then, adjust for inflation...

No comment...

Edit:  Someone please check to see if I got the zeros right.  Hard to count that high.

The 1% will wet themselves thinking how much they will pocket off that.

I've known for some years that humanity has a problem with the people that rise to positions of power, but IMO they are just letting it all hang out there now, and not even trying to couch the theft of other people's money in acceptable newspeak.

42 minutes ago, connda said:

Green Energy and Net Zero will kill what's left of the manufacturing base in the West.

IMO the west has been toast since they went mad and had a little war in Vietnam. IMO all that is happening now is that the 1% are dividing up the spoils before they rocket off to Mars in Elon's starship leaving the rest of us to become slaves to our new masters ( if we survive ).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

As I have already stated, this article is biased and misleading.

As for Thailand you are wrong on that as well.

“Thailand aims to achieve peak greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, carbon neutrality by 2050, and net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2065”

https://www.nbr.org/publication/thailands-path-toward-carbon-neutrality-and-the-implications-for-the-mekong-subregion/

If anyone wants proof that it's all a scam, ask yourself if you will be alive in 2065? They can invent whatever they like and not have to prove it if the end result will not be known by any of us on here.

So long as the human race continues on it's overpopulation spiral to doom, they will never be able to transition to anything except survival, IMO.

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

In Thailand Gasohol and diesel have been heavily subsidized as well as electricity which is mainly produced by burning gas. Prices of fossil fuels have fluctuated widely due to volatility on world markets. The Government cannot afford to continue the subsidies.

Electricity in Thailand should be produced locally using solar and wind rather than importing fossil fuels.

Last month over 13% of new vehicles purchased here were fully electric this trend should be encouraged and supported using fossil fuel subsidies then Thailand would be energy independent and the air here might be breathable 

IMG_6606.jpeg.15fe596cdfffbb0f3e68579bba3b51cf.jpeg

and I presume you are happy to pay the increased prices for energy as someone has to pay for the infrastructure? Many of us will not be happy if forced to do so.

Apparently you are not aware of the real reason for air pollution in LOS. Farm burning, not ICE engines. Just check when the air pollution happens.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and I presume you are happy to pay the increased prices for energy as someone has to pay for the infrastructure?

I don’t have a meter, all my power comes from my domestic solar. Solar also powers my 2 EVs. One of my EVs has bi-directional charging so provides extra backup power.

I would be happy to feed back power to the grid from my batteries at times of peak demand, but I’m not allowed to.

As I’ve already stated, less subsidies on fossil fuels means more for the energy transition.

• Agree 2

The entire roof of Global house in Udon Thani is covered in solar panels. It shows that businesses n Thailand are realising the value of renewable power, it isn't just a scam.

On 7/28/2024 at 6:06 AM, connda said:

Thank you for your thoughtful and fact-filled analysis.

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2024 at 7:06 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

and I presume you are happy to pay the increased prices for energy as someone has to pay for the infrastructure? Many of us will not be happy if forced to do so.

Apparently you are not aware of the real reason for air pollution in LOS. Farm burning, not ICE engines. Just check when the air pollution happens.

So, you're seriously claiming that the air pollution in Bangkok comes from agricultural burning? And even in Chiangmai, unlike in the rest of the world, vehicles burning diesel and petrol don't create pollution? That's positively miraculous!

• Agree 1

On 7/28/2024 at 3:14 AM, BritManToo said:

Climate change seems to me to be a religion rather than a science.

Well, there is a phenomenon called Cargo Cultism where the locals worshipped airplanes as magical bringers of goods from the outside world. So your misplaced belief does have precedents.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So, you're seriously claiming that the air pollution in Bangkok comes from agricultural burning? And even in Chiangmai, unlike in the rest of the world, vehicles burning diesel and petrol don't create pollution? That's positively miraculous!

I lived in Chiang mai for a while.   The air is almost unbreathable from about February to May, and fine for the rest of the year.   The air pollution from burning the fields is why I left and would have stayed there if not for that.   Vehicle pollution is completely insignificant in comparison.    

1 hour ago, James105 said:

I lived in Chiang mai for a while.   The air is almost unbreathable from about February to May, and fine for the rest of the year.   The air pollution from burning the fields is why I left and would have stayed there if not for that.   Vehicle pollution is completely insignificant in comparison.    

It just shows how degraded your standards for air pollution are that you consider the current level in a populated area like Chiang Mai "fine". 

Here's the current reading for Chiang Mai's air pollution level:

"PM2.5 concentration in Chiang Mai is currently 2.2 times the WHO annual air quality guideline value"

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/thailand/chiang-mai

Edited by placeholder

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It just shows how degraded your standards for air pollution are that you consider the current level in a populated area like Chiang Mai "fine". 

"PM2.5 concentration in Chiang Mai is currently 2.2 times the WHO annual air quality guideline value"

We've had heavy rain the past 12hrs with no sign of it stopping. I doubt there's any particles in the air at the moment that aren't water.

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I've had lots of practice of breathing over the years so my judgement of air quality is based on that.   Pretty much the same way that I don't need a meteorologist to tell me if it is sunny or not when I can step outside and look for myself.   Maybe you don't get out much if you need to be told the air quality from your computer.     

24 minutes ago, James105 said:

I've had lots of practice of breathing over the years so my judgement of air quality is based on that.   Pretty much the same way that I don't need a meteorologist to tell me if it is sunny or not when I can step outside and look for myself.   Maybe you don't get out much if you need to be told the air quality from your computer.     

Or maybe you don't really get out to places where the air is really clean so you don't have a clue what unpolluted air is really like.

On 7/29/2024 at 1:24 AM, Bandersnatch said:

I don’t have a meter, all my power comes from my domestic solar. Solar also powers my 2 EVs. One of my EVs has bi-directional charging so provides extra backup power.

I would be happy to feed back power to the grid from my batteries at times of peak demand, but I’m not allowed to.

As I’ve already stated, less subsidies on fossil fuels means more for the energy transition.

Well goodie for you, but most of the 8 billion people on the planet can't afford or use solar.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well goodie for you, but most of the 8 billion people on the planet can't afford or use solar.

Thanks for the falsehood.

Solar Mini Grids Could Power Half a Billion People by 2030 – if Action is Taken Now

The deployment of solar mini grids has seen an important acceleration, from around 50 per country per year in 2018 to more than 150 per country per year today, particularly in countries with the lowest rates of access to electricity. This is the result of falling costs of key components, the introduction of new digital solutions, a large and expanding cohort of highly capable mini grid developers, and growing economies of scale.

Solar mini grids have become the least-cost way to bring high-quality 24/7 electricity to towns and cities off the grid or experiencing regular power cuts.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2022/09/27/solar-mini-grids-could-power-half-a-billion-people-by-2030-if-action-is-taken-now

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

Thanks for the falsehood.

Solar Mini Grids Could Power Half a Billion People by 2030 – if Action is Taken Now

The deployment of solar mini grids has seen an important acceleration, from around 50 per country per year in 2018 to more than 150 per country per year today, particularly in countries with the lowest rates of access to electricity. This is the result of falling costs of key components, the introduction of new digital solutions, a large and expanding cohort of highly capable mini grid developers, and growing economies of scale.

Solar mini grids have become the least-cost way to bring high-quality 24/7 electricity to towns and cities off the grid or experiencing regular power cuts.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2022/09/27/solar-mini-grids-could-power-half-a-billion-people-by-2030-if-action-is-taken-now

and? That's up to companies. I was responding to a poster with his own set up. No way I could afford to buy my own set up.

Try and get it right next time.