Best country for travel in Asia???

2 hours ago, SoCal1990 said:

If you were coming for a trip to Asia for the first time, then which one of the popular Asian countries for travel would you choose to visit and why? Let's also assume that, in making your decision, that cost isn't an issue and that nightlife and girls aren't a focus. 

For me, the decision is simple. I choose Japan. Beautiful country, fantastic nature, interesting history, and culture, decent food, very safe and reliable, everything works, very clean, no petty crime or scams, excellent transportation systems, easy to get around, good hotels, polite people, etc. 

I would probably place Thailand second, Taiwan third, Singapore fourth and Malaysia as fifth. Bhutan would also be interesting for a short visit. Tibet would have been very interesting too, but about 30 years ago. 

The Philippines would likely be one of my last choices, along with Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. 

Japan, China and Iran for sure if travelling for culture and history. 

Have yet to travel to Japan and Iran, but have travelled quite a bit in China, but far from enough. One of the more interesting country to travel, but most important historic places is quite busy and crowded unfortunate. 

Not so many other Asian countries I have the desire to explore anymore. When I go now, it is more for holiday and food experiences, and rank Kuala Lumpur for some of the best international Kitchen in Asia, not so bad in Dubai either, but Dubai Im done with.

If I would go on a new expedition, it would be Malasia and Indonesia Borneo, and Papua Ny Guinea

4 hours ago, degrub said:

1) Singapore

2) Japan

3) S. Korea

4) Hong Kong 

5) Shanghai, PRC

everywhere else

for all the reasons you listed

Singapore - i could not think of a more plastic place in the world perhaps with the exception of Dubai.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SoCal1990 said:

If you were coming for a trip to Asia for the first time, then which one of the popular Asian countries for travel would you choose to visit and why? Let's also assume that, in making your decision, that cost isn't an issue and that nightlife and girls aren't a focus. 

For me, the decision is simple. I choose Japan. Beautiful country, fantastic nature, interesting history, and culture, decent food, very safe and reliable, everything works, very clean, no petty crime or scams, excellent transportation systems, easy to get around, good hotels, polite people, etc. 

I would probably place Thailand second, Taiwan third, Singapore fourth and Malaysia as fifth. Bhutan would also be interesting for a short visit. Tibet would have been very interesting too, but about 30 years ago. 

The Philippines would likely be one of my last choices, along with Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. 

Unfortunately, I have never been there but people say Vietnam is definitely worth a visit and hope to visit it one day for a tour.

I give it to Laos for maximum strange for minimum $$$$ with zero hassle. Anyone there is interesting. 'Can't say that about Chiang Mai.

Myanmar = orthodox buddhist vibe, def min $$$$, but it's hard to get to, visa required, terrible food, and you will def get sick.

Cambodia: diminishing returns outside of Angkor Wat, but prob best for the eco-tourist jungle experience.

Vietnam: Went only twice. Too much traffic, too little sanuk, boring food. I can why people love the commie French Indochine vibe.

Malaysia: Cheerful, boring, Penang would be the obv. pick. Kuching, Borneo is the like Rain Forest Chiang Mai.

Singapore: Do you love Indian food? Because that and nice parks in glass domes are the big attraction.

Japan: Requires about 4 trips to see it all. If you have to pick, do the South. Abusing a 7 day rail pass was a top 5 vacation.

Korea: Duller Japan, tremendous nature-Buddhism (Won-style). Pusan to Hokkaido Japan is a great two weeks.

Taiwan: Cheerier China. Under-rated, partic the food.

Hong Kong: Still a bit neon-atmospheric, but go to Tapie instead.

Bhutan: A little boring for the money. But the green Himalaya's stayed with me for a long time. A week would be on the long side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

If I would go on a new expedition, it would be Malasia and Indonesia Borneo, and Papua Ny Guinea

I was booked on a tour for a big tribal festival this September, but it just got cancelled due to internecine tribal warfare. Again.

Go to Sabeh instead. More touristy, but we're talking about places that get less tourists than Roi Et.

Brunei is worth 3 days too. A day's worth of sights, dementedly friendly locals; you better like Indian food.

Their bit of very manicured rain forest was the best rain forest experience I've had to date. About $200 for a private 2 night tour.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, susanlea said:

Japan hotel 2000 baht small room

Thai hotel 500 baht bigger

You are the 500 Baht traveler. Japan not for you. Try Cambodia. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, SoCal1990 said:

If money wasn't an issue and retirement visas weren't an issue, probably a lot more expats would be retiring in Japan over other places in SE Asia. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

If money wasn't an issue and retirement visas weren't an issue, probably a lot more expats would be retiring in Japan over other places in SE Asia. 

Japan is a fantastic place in so many ways, but I'm not sure I could live there full time. You can find a lower cost of living outside the big cities, but after a couple of months I find it a bit stifling in the sense of not having any international feel to the place. Very little imported food. Nearly everything there is made in Japan. Not to say that's bad, but it begins to feel a bit overwhelming in that sense. Thailand by comparison has a lot more variety in many ways and doesn't feel that way over time. But the fact that Japan is so civilized also makes it addicting.  

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SoCal1990 said:

If you were coming for a trip to Asia for the first time, then which one of the popular Asian countries for travel would you choose to visit and why? Let's also assume that, in making your decision, that cost isn't an issue and that nightlife and girls aren't

Vietnam, 45 day visa waiver on arrival, beaches are amazing, tourist sights also amazing, all at reasonable prices.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Vietnam, 45 day visa waiver on arrival, beaches are amazing, tourist sights also amazing, all at reasonable prices.

Vietnam is also my favorite country for visiting these days. After living there from 2015-2021, I moved back to Thailand when my job there ended (due to COVID). But I've already spent two months in Vietnam so far this year (a month in Da Lat and a month in Nha Trang), and I'm about to go back for another 90 days on the 90-day eVisa (which cost just $25). It has very friendly, welcoming people - and the hotels are great AND cheap. And transportation is also cheap and efficient. What more could one ask for?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SoCal1990 said:

Japan is a fantastic place in so many ways, but I'm not sure I could live there full time. 

Agreed. The diet in Japan is a lot of noodle soups and deep-fried food. Very veg.-lite. A ton of sugar too. Those tofu meals in a temple were few and far between.

And very much a mono-culture where Kobe is not too different from Nara. They're much less into Whitie than SEA.

'Lived in Kyoto for six months. Gorgeous, but essentially a small town.

For other-worldly foreign-ness, hard to beat. But also hard to live in long-term.

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

Been to Japan. You have not. You go to JJ for pot plants.:cheesy:

I have been to most Asian countries I agree the most beautiful country is Japan I am not talking about Tokyo see the country go when the cherry blossom is in flower. Amazing display. The second would be Singapore yes there is more to Singapore than the city. But what do I know?

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Singapore - i could not think of a more plastic place in the world perhaps with the exception of Dubai.

Get away from the tourist areas.

• Sad 1

I've been to several Asian countries(Japan, S. Korea, China, Philippines, Vietnam). I think Thailand is the best of these because it's so easy to live here and nice people considering the large amount of riff-raff that invades their country.

However to get out of the brutal Mar-Apr Thai heat go to Da Nang it's approx 5 degrees cooler there.