Thai man rescued after two years of abuse by employers

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai man has been rescued and hospitalised after enduring two years of severe abuse and torture at the hands of his employers, a husband and wife, due to his inability to meet their sales targets.

The 38 year old Thai man, Kong, was accompanied by social media activist Guntouch Pongpaiboonwet, also known as Gun Jompalang, when he filed a police report in Non Thai district, Nakhon Ratchasima yesterday.

Visible injuries covered Kong’s body, with his buttocks severely infected from welts, whip marks on his legs, and open wounds on his head. He also lost a tooth during one of the assaults.

Police documented the injuries with photographs as evidence.

Kong recounted that he met the couple over a decade ago in his hometown of Chiang Mai before moving to Nakhon Ratchasima to work for them. Initially, everything was normal, and he received his salary regularly.

However, the situation deteriorated over the past two years. Kong claimed that his salary had ceased, and his ATM card was confiscated by his employer under the pretext of preventing wasteful spending.

His employers began to blame him for failing to meet sales targets and started punishing him physically. The specifics of the business or its products were not disclosed by Guntouch.

Kong was provided with only one meal a day, typically plain rice, if he failed to make a sale. He reported being whipped over 1,000 times and subjected to electric shocks on his abdomen and genitals.

When Kong lost consciousness from the beatings, they would revive him to continue the abuse.

Despite contemplating escape multiple times, Kong feared for his family’s safety, as his employers threatened to seize his house and land.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Tawat Boonkaeha, the deputy inspector of the Non Thai Police Station, stated that the couple will be summoned to acknowledge the charges, reported Bangkok Post.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal
Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-27

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 4
  • Sad 6

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Who are these people, and why such moral depravity? If law enforcement does not do its job, perhaps the citizens can? 

Are you volunteering tough guy?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Are you volunteering tough guy?

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Who are these people, and why such moral depravity? If law enforcement does not do it's job, perhaps the citizens can? 

We are not citizens.

Einstein.  :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Who are these people, and why such moral depravity? If law enforcement does not do it's job, perhaps the citizens can? 

Its sad that it must be in the news before police acts!

• Agree 2

If not by law enforcement then most certainly by the community. In general I'm not an advocate of vigilante justice, however I do think there is a time and place for it. 

Yeah, everything much easier without police and courts, isn't it? Really?😳

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite contemplating escape multiple times, Kong feared for his family’s safety, as his employers threatened to seize his house and land

Two years of abuse and he didn't inform anyone... I don't get it.

2 hours ago, kwaussie said:

Very hard to understand why one would treat a worker this badly and the control they have that he was to scared to leave.

It's harder to understand why a grown male would put up with it for two years?

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

The man must be mentally labile to have put up with this situation.

Certainly not very bright.

However, if he believed these scum are powerful and would hurt his family, it is just about understandable seen from a Thai perspective. 

I doubt he is the only one that has/is suffering this abuse.

It is not really that hard to kill someone who is abusing you. There are a dozen fairly easy ways to take a life. I know for sure if I was in the position he was in I wouldn't think twice about taking a life or two, to gain my freedom if I were being abused to that extent. 

The second advantage of killing that couple would be that there would likely be no retribution against his family. 

4 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

He certainly doesn't look like somebody who's ready to take any flack. Maybe there's a little more to this story. Let's hope we here from the other side before the stories binned.

The guy in the white jacket is Guntouch. I assume the victim is the guy with a mask and sunglasses, on the left.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

The man must be mentally labile to have put up with this situation.

Your comment is rather harsh and lacking in empathy and understanding.

They took their time breaking him down over a decade. Everyone can be broken down and made to feel worthless. A single rice meal a day indicates he would be severely malnourished and with that comes a brain that doesn't function well, and depression.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If not by law enforcement then most certainly by the community. In general I'm not an advocate of vigilante justice, however I do think there is a time and place for it. 

I remember you were an expert on the Philippines. This couple would have been taken care of in the provinces there, and it wouldn't have taken 10 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Your comment is rather harsh and lacking in empathy and understanding.

They took their time breaking him down over a decade. Everyone can be broken down and made to feel worthless. A single rice meal a day indicates he would be severely malnourished and with that comes a brain that doesn't function well, and depression.

It was also probably correct..

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Do you recall the couple who kept a child caged and poured boiling water on her daily......I bet they are out and free.

Should have faced capital punishment.

I remember Obama having kids in cages, I don't remember any boiling water. As far as I know, he was never even charged. 

10 hours ago, Zack61 said:

If proven to be true then a major financial compensation payment and many years in the monkey house would be a just outcome. 
The world would be a better place without these dangerous, predatory oxygen thieves. 

It's an unbelievable story, it's sick torture and depravity, if proven true, the perps should be locked into a mental asylum. 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

stated that the couple will be summoned to acknowledge the charges

Hopefully they won't be bothered to much!  

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Two years of abuse and he didn't inform anyone... I don't get it.

It happens and not just in this country.  Some people are just evil. Look forward to hearing what the employers have to say and what charges the police bring.