Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have changed my position on some of this. And it does seem like fake news. The opening ceremony apart from the scenes on the river were pretty awful, and in poor taste. 

After careful review, I did not like it at all, but it was NOT a mockery of Christianity. It was a depiction of the Greek Bacchanalia, right down to the 17 people, the fruit plate, the fat lady, etc. 

The rest is made up by the media and highly  sensationalized, by people easily triggered. 

And for the calls of boycotts, avoiding the Olympics is ridiculous. It's a wonderful sporting event, happens only every 4 years, so if some triggered people don't want to watch it, who loses out? 

art can have several possible interpretations or meanings, and leaves it to you and me to decide what it is.

The strange now, the creator goes against every rule, and goes out and explain what the idea is or was not. 

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

art can have several possible interpretations or meanings, and leaves it to you and me to decide what it is.

The strange now, the creator goes against every rule, and goes out and explain what the idea is or was not. 

Under pressure.

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

That I completely agree with - but the confines of public decency has narrower boundaries...

...So, while any and all art (within the boundaries of legality, safety and extreme offensiveness) 'should' be made available to any who wish to view it... 

... the issue of course is making such 'content' available to all while avoiding 'accidental' exposure to those who may find such displays objectionable, offensive, distasteful etc - that is a constantly shifting line, but for some reason the 'LBGQT+ line' steps far deeper into territory 'other art' is not permitted or tolerated in public. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

That I completely agree with - but the confines of public decency has narrower boundaries...

...So, while any and all art (within the boundaries of legality, safety and extreme offensiveness) 'should' be made available to any who wish to view it... 

... the issue of course is making such 'content' available to all while avoiding 'accidental' exposure to those who may find such displays objectionable, offensive, distasteful etc - that is a constantly shifting line, but for some reason the 'LBGQT+ line' steps far deeper into territory 'other art' is not permitted or tolerated in public. 

No one involved gives a happy rat's a** about the people they offended. They intended to offend those people and are happy they did. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's the 2100 century, and every century had their "thing" and take on it. 

At least happy we do not live other places where you risk jail or being executed for being who you are or what you say and believe. However there is a fine line, and sometimes everything getting pushed to far one way or the other.

Personally as said before here, this was inappropriate and bad timing

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Saudis have economic power, and more or less taken over the martial art sports, and working hard to create a soccer liga, and doesn't have limited budgets or time limits. 

They dont have an audience

51 minutes ago, Hummin said:

At least happy we do not live other places where you risk jail or being executed for being who you are or what you say and believe. However there is a fine line, and sometimes everything getting pushed to far one way or the other.

Hear hear. God Bless the USA for that. But it runs both ways. If the fascist LGBTQZYX movement is allowed to belittle decent folks who possess traditional moral values as bigots, then those folks are entitled to call two dudes wearing nothing but leather spiked budgie smugglers, leather SS caps and feather dusters up their butts screaming pedophiliac slogans in public filthy dangerous perverts.

Or does expression of opinion or belief only go one way?

2 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Hear hear. God Bless the USA for that. But it runs both ways. If the fascist LGBTQZYX movement is allowed to belittle decent folks who possess traditional moral values as bigots, then those folks are entitled to call two dudes wearing nothing but leather spiked budgie smugglers, leather SS caps and feather dusters up their butts screaming pedophiliac slogans in public filthy dangerous perverts.

The Catholic church have a long tradition with men in colourful dresses, hats and shiny shoes. 

As much I despise far left and right  ideologi, I despise how much power religion have which is considered as traditional conservatives values. 

There is no common sense in either camps, but both sides claims they are right

4 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

I wasnt clear? 

No, where is the money coming from in Football, who is buying the best teams, and who have unlimited resources and time? 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

The Catholic church have a long tradition with men in colourful dresses, hats and shiny shoes. 

As much I despise far left and right  ideologi, I despise how much power religion have which is considered as traditional conservatives values. 

There is no common sense in either camps, but both sides claims they are right

Well I guess one can have values without being religious. Values are values

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

They'll pimp every vote they possibly can, unless it's pro-American.

What are they celebrating in this image....

Halloween?

When I was young, and in the USA, this would have been the very last thing you might have expected to see...ANYWHERE.

All this holier-than-thou holy rolling?

Such antics would have us rolling on the floor with utter mirth.

What young people do not understand about religion, these days, is that it was NEVER so Over-The-Top, mid-century, as it is now.

Are these people praying for something?

And what are they praying for?

A win for their side?

A Whopper at Burger-King with everything on it?

This type of behavior would not have been tolerated in the world of my youth, in America.

Back in the day, the zaniest we got was to think that we could cross our legs and levitate...

And, we could!

1 hour ago, Yagoda said:

Ah, I wondered how long it would take you out yourself. LGBT+ are fascists, pedophiles and perverts eh? Sad, tired old perjoratives and insults. Shame your traditional morals don't include basic decency.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Not following you.

Being as offensive as possible to your political/ideological opponents is artistic expression.

Unless it's YOUR particular splinter of the population on the receiving end.  Then it becomes a "hate crime."

6 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Ah, I wondered how long it would take you out yourself. LGBT+ are fascists, pedophiles and perverts eh? Sad, tired old perjoratives and insults. Shame your traditional morals don't include basic decency.

OK, so if men in skimpy leather garments in public  screaming the aforementioned arent paedophiliacs what are they? Educators?

If the movement isnt fascist why must we all bow to their lifestyle, pronouns and slogans? Shades of Huxley.

If some dude has a fetish for licking the feet of hideously obese other man while wearing bunny years and having an enema is your thing, go for it, just why should I be FORCED to acknowledge and praise your private lifestyle or indeed anything about you. Look at that fat thing with the plate on its head in the picture. Its fat and of indecipherable sex and not very attractive and it has a dinner plate on its head and the sole purpose is to make us all acknowledge how great peoples personal kinks are. Meanwhile the bulk of people in the world dont want such narcissistic crap MeMeMeMe, Look at Me, I have Issues and I (insert fetish or trendy gay thing) shoved in their faces 24/7. Anhauser Busch knows that

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

Being as offensive as possible to your political/ideological opponents is artistic expression.

Unless it's YOUR particular splinter of the population on the receiving end.  Then it becomes a "hate crime."

Wow. Are you from America? Thats a beautiful summary.

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Are you coming out as Nazi?

On 7/29/2024 at 12:09 PM, roo860 said:

This was indeed the highlight of the show, some 'bloke' with one of his bo!!ocks hanging out.20240728_165914.thumb.jpg.a9d01601249957340bd69ae9f90fdfa1.jpg

I bet it was by design, knowing some folks, especially prudish Yanks would get epileptic over a rather minor detail (at least this one was shaven...) Reminding me of Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction that caused a national rukus wayback. Or James Cameron taken to the woodshed for one supposedly nude scene of Kate Winslet posing for deCaprio in Titanic. FWIW, the last two instances cited consisted of showing one, just one, female nipple each time. I myself have a hard time suspending my disbelief at the silver screen whenever I see American actresses humping away with their male partner while still wearing a bra.

On 7/28/2024 at 8:50 PM, champers said:

I didn't pick up on the Last Supper theme at the time; I must be a bit slow on the uptake. 

I don't know how the Last Supper theme came up. It just showed how Christendom really wants a global claim of everything as christian. Btw, this is how the French have their Sunday brunch in their back yard. Or Louis XiV had as his nightly dinner setup whenever he visited one of his lords (Fouquet for example, who ended up paying dearly for the privilege.)

Personally I was slightly amused by the blue god. He kinda reminds me of the movie "The cook, the thief and his lover" starring the excellent Michael Gambon and the ever delightful Hellen Mirren. The final scene was staged that way, except that the guy that was laid out on the platter was served as a substitute for roasted pig...One of Peter Greenaway's bests.

• Confused 1