Need to purchase new tabletop gas burner. Suggestions?

I've had a couple of these over the years with my most recent being a Smarthome brand double-burner with one side an infrared burner and the other just a regular flame. It was fine enough though perhaps a little under-powered. If I recall, it was very inexpensive, only about 1500 baht 5 or 6 years ago. Suddenly, one day as I was cooking, the glass top decided to up and shatter. That was a bit startling... And not fun to clean up; that tempered glass goes everywhere!

So, this isn't rocket science but since I'm about to step out to buy a new one, I figured I'd ask people here if they have any pointers or tips. They certainly range a lot in price. Not sure what 6k buys that 3k or 2k doesn't. I've attached a pic of a random burner just to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 1.17.47 PM.png

After buying a couple of cheap gas cook tops, we bought a Rinnai 3 burner.

After 11 years its still going strong, it cost me about 2 grand, it came from Lazada

The cheaper ones seem to fall apart with rust

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Grumpy...

Thanks for your reply. I was just poking around on here as your reply came in. I did see a Rinnai 3 burner advertised but it was very expensive, if I remember. 9k or 11k. I think it had a small toaster station underneath, too. More than I want to spend but I'll poke around for that brand. One of the problems these days, as I see it, is that I have no idea which brands are reliable anymore. I don't recognize the vast majority of them and the ones I do, like Electrolux, for example, have been sold off to companies that took the name but nothing else.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have you considered a conduction rangetop?  Slimmer, instant heat, and safe to touch.

You won't have to deal with propane tanks anymore.

5b851090-51e4-4666-9f55-cb89dc594e35.webp

Thanks! No, I had not considered this option. Yes, the gas tank can be an issue on occasion. Gas is handy, however, when the power goes out. I'll have a poke around with these. I'd be worried my cookware would need to be replaced. Also, I live in an old house that doesn't have great electric....old wiring and sockets that fit poorly and not enough of them. My chef friend also pushes for such a thing!

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

do induction cook tops require special pots & pans,   can the ordinary stainless pot be used on an induction stove ?

I think I just read that most can. but not aluminum. I do have a certain fondness for seeing that blue flame.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

what about the cost of electricity ?   how many watts does it use ....   remember,  gas is relatively cheaper than electricity and faster in heating up.  

Sure, electricity costs more, but it depends on how often one cooks.  And there is no " heating up" as induction reaches the set temp almost instantly.   It also doesn't heat up the kitchen/house as you cook like exposed flames

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

do induction cook tops require special pots & pans,   can the ordinary stainless pot be used on an induction stove ?

Steel & cast iron are great, but Induction does not work with aluminum unless there is a steel insert.  But you shouldn't be using aluminum cookware anyways. 

Autopsies on dementia patients' brains show high concentrations of aluminum.  While there is no proven correlation between Alzheimers & Parkinsons from exposure to Al, autopsies of people with Alzheimers and dementia related Parkinsons does show high concentrations of AL in the brain.  Al comes from many sources, but ingestion is the greatest cause up to 100mg/per day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Sure, electricity costs more, but it depends on how often one cooks.  And there is no " heating up" as induction reaches the set temp almost instantly.   It also doesn't heat up the kitchen/house as you cook like exposed flames

That's interesting,    because a friend is getting a metal cooking hood exhaust fan put in for the gas cooktop ....  

I just don't really like gas here,  it looks dangerous, anyone hooks up the hoses and having gas bottles in the kitchen makes me cringe. 

I may try to convince him to use induction cookers and throw the gas out ...      do induction heaters deliver the same heat as a gas top ....  I mean will a Wok with oil get hot enough the same as using the gas for deep fry and stir fry  ? 

And I guess the big question is the power bill ...

• Like 1

Here's a Rinnai 3 burner for the price of a decent meal for two at a proper restaurant...

Rinnai 3 burners

A good point on condo rules for gas, worth checking for general readers here. Fire regs and insurance limitations apply.

I'm guessing the OP is in the clear as he's replacing one.

Edited by pookett
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

If most of your meals comes from flat-bottomed cookware

For hot meals I use a small electric grill to BBQ meats/fish, sits next to my electric induction plate used to stir fry, pan fry or pot boil. Messing with gas just seems tedious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pookett said:

Here's a Rinnai 3 burner for the price of a decent meal for two at a proper restaurant...

Rinnai 3 burners

A good point on condo rules for gas, worth checking for general readers here. Fire regs and insurance limitations apply.

I'm guessing the OP is in the clear as he's replacing one.

Not bad! Yes, I'm in a stand alone house. Been using gas for a long time now. I don't think the electric is up to it in this house...induction, that is.

Edited by bamboozled

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I've been using the small camping burners for the past 16 years.  I have two of them although I rarely need to use both. }
The gas canisters are easy to buy and they last about a month, cooking every day.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lugond-i4670136696-s19226237294.html

Nice idea for portability! I like the two burner (or 3) versions that have space in the middle for setting down pots and whatnot. I have a LOT of whatnot.

• Like 1

I ended up buying this one...in case anyone is interested. Far from the cheapest but handling the cheap ones did make me realize why they are cheap. And I was reminded that my former cheap one did break a piece off the gas intake pipe very early on.

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 9.15.02 AM.png

On 7/30/2024 at 1:27 PM, bamboozled said:

Not bad! Yes, I'm in a stand alone house. Been using gas for a long time now. I don't think the electric is up to it in this house...induction, that is.

also in a  house

We have a TecnoPlus floor standing 5 burner stove with electric oven ..  the gas bottle ( i think it's a 48kjg) is outside hooked up with SS piping thru the wall

also a 70L MInimex electric oven,   a Samsung microwave with grill option .   and outside  a high pressure gas burner on a SS stand, 

also  a small burner on  6.5 tank,,    an oval shaped tao burner on a granite table and a weber charcoal grill ..    use them all !!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 7:58 AM, Grumpy one said:

After 11 years its still going strong, it cost me about 2 grand, it came from Lazada

Thank you for your information and therefore since I had to change the gas stove after little more one year, I purchased Rinnai two burners paid on Lazada 3300 B. the product is truly of a high standard and I am happy with the choice. Guaranty 5 years.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1232876001-s2954284889.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&laz_trackid=2:mm_150551077_51902649_2010952691:clkgjnvqa1i4bp3qhr6h1v&mkttid=clkgjnvqa1i4bp3qhr6h1v

Edited by BE88
  • Like 2

I have an inset Camar-Tech glass twin gas burners. It is now 16 years old, still works, though I did strip it down and replaced a few parts a couple of years back...

At the time, I think it cost about 6kbht..

• Like 1

Banboozled, can you explain the thing on the left?  I thought induction/infrared/electric burners had to touch the pot to heat them, but this has prongs to hold pots away from the top?

On 7/30/2024 at 7:58 AM, Grumpy one said:

I have bought all my kitchen applications from Lazada and Shopee, there you can read review from other byers and the price is mush cheaper than Home Pro, Big C, Lotus and other shopping centers.  

13 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Banboozled, can you explain the thing on the left?  I thought induction/infrared/electric burners had to touch the pot to heat them, but this has prongs to hold pots away from the top?

It is Infrared, not induction. I don't totally understand the tech but it gets hot like a flame so pot doesn't need to touch the surface. It sort of creates a very hot glow instead of a big blue flame. You can actually grill skewers over it. Heat up more quickly and I think to a hotter temp and a more even heat. This is more about grills but you get the idea. I'm not sure how useful it is in the stove-top situation but my last one had one, as well, so I stuck with the tradition. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=what+is+infrared+burner#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:8743b881,vid:UPTAsUkqIlg,st:42

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2024 at 1:56 PM, Postmaster said:

Are you in a condominium?  If so you should check with the Juristic Person Office that you are allowed a gas cylinder on the premises.

Did you read the thread?