Outrage Sparked in Thailand Over Apple's 'Out of Office' Advert

After traveling by Greyhound, and getting abandoned by 2 drivers who suddenly decided that they didn't want to continue with the journey because they'd prefer to be home, I'd choose traveling on a Thai bus any day over ever buying a greyhound bus ticket. 

11 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

It never stops amazing me how Thais, and other Asian people, vehemently refuse to accept any criticism from "white" people.

If you are a Thai reading this, try travelling by bus or train in a western developed country, and then make an honest comparissment with Thailand.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

It was a ad only.we all know thai customs and nothing like the film.tuk tuk and hotel seems abit of fun.Even if it shows a untrue view of thailand I think people will accept it as a fun ad.Have u seen thai commercials sometimes u don,t get what they are promoting until near the end.A storm in a tea cup and he wore the elephant trousers that all tourist are buying these days

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

If you are a Thai reading this, try travelling by bus or train in a western developed country, and then make an honest comparissment with Thailand.

The first thing they will notice it that it is a lot more expensive to pay for a bus or a train in those developed countries. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has expressed gratitude to Apple for filming their latest ad in Thailand. According to a government representative, Thavisin believes the ad will enhance Thailand's global appeal and boost their tourism sector.

However, the release of Apple's fifth installment of the "Underdogs" series, "OOO (Out of Office)," was met with negative responses from Thai internet users. They contend that the ad portrays Thailand and its people in an unflattering manner, leading to outrage and severe criticism. This reaction resulted in Apple disabling comments on the ad's YouTube page.

Aired ten days prior, the ad had garnered 5.1 million views on YouTube as of July 28th. The ten-minute film, labeled a comedy thriller, features four employees of a company trying to meet their clients' needs in Thailand. One employee, based in the US, participates using Apple Vision Pro, while the others experience various small escapades, demonstrating 31 features of Apple devices.

The post-production additions of a sepia filter to the scenes sparked controversy. Some Thai viewers argued it made their country appear underdeveloped, while others suggested it was an attempt to depict Thailand's past. However, this interpretation was clouded by the appearance of the iPhone 15, a device not available during that era.

Other negative portrayals include run-down airport scenes, unkempt taxi drivers, and poor accommodation. The characters also travel on an old and crowded bus, which many Thai internet users argue is no longer a reality in their country. Critics argue a modern depiction of Thailand, with advanced transportation and accommodations, would have been more accurate.

David William, a long-term resident of Thailand and popular English tutor with 1.8 million Facebook and 2.9 million TikTok followers, also criticized the ad. He said it painted an unattractive and outdated picture of Thailand to the world. He contrasted this with Apple ads shot in US cities, which positively portrayed those locations. In a Facebook video that received 15,000 comments and 13,000 shares, he threatened to switch to Samsung if Apple continued to denigrate Thailand.

Another critic claimed to protest Apple's misrepresentation by selling all his Apple devices.

They are outraged by this??

They should be happy, it's great!  And all Thai people speak English, taxi's are taking them to asked destinations, people are helpful etc.

In fact, they should be proud hehe.

I guess they do not understand a little parody huh... sadly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

It made Westerners seem stoopid so was kinda the theme.

Also wasn't all that funny.

I thought it made western males look homosexual. Or is that just Apple users?

• Haha 1

I watched it.  Immigration, big glasses in lost and found ( gay?), tuk tuk, 5 people on a scooter, cheap hotels and nice ones, what's wrong with it.   Seemed to promote Thailand as a place to get business things done fast 

• Haha 2

Well that has to be the biggest loss of face I've seen for locals in a fair while! The secret that's been badly suppressed for years! Live with it!!! Can I donate for a haircut for that damn unruly tuk tuk chauffeur!!! Some new busses are in order too! Do busses ever have accidents in Thailand???

27 minutes ago, chmeatloaf said:

Thailand and Thais are always right. We and the rest in Thailand are always wrong.

:thumbsup: You've worked it out! Well done! Spread the word!

28 minutes ago, Chris Renaix said:

They are outraged by this??

Proportionate with their level of education! They are still trying to understand what it's all about! Don't worry about it, life goes on!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

he threatened to switch to Samsung if Apple continued to denigrate Thailand.

That'll tell them David. Apple will be shaking in their boots.

I saw nothing that denigrated Thailand. Queues at immigration? Even the stern looking Immigration Officer was spot on.

It had a little bit of a feel of that Hangover film.

Well, I just watched it and it was just plain awful.  It actually portrayed  Americans as awful, not Thailand.  I'm guessing this was supposed to be a comical satire.   I wouldn't have known Apple produced it until the last minute of the show.  The PM is completely delusional if he "believes the ad will enhance Thailand's global appeal and boost their tourism sector."  Two thumbs down

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

If you are a Thai reading this, try travelling by bus or train in a western developed country,

I can't Martin,   I would need to take a morgage out to get anywhere in the UK........................ its 400bht just to get to my local shopping center  4 miles away.

Isn’t it better to show the real run down and antiquated infrastructure, homes, cables hanging, street dogs, road mayhem etc etc for it really is.

If the Thais only want you to see or show 5 star hotels, Michelin restaurants & Siam paragon, it’s a blinkered response.

Thailand is a fascinating country in regards to both the above

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Hope they do a dubbed thai version with Thai subs otherwise hardly any Thais will understand it, especially without the penny whistle..............:coffee1: 

Thai's won't watch it! It doesn't have a rich family, expensive car, huge house, Son falls in love with poor Isaan maid and where's the ladyboy that just has to be there for some reason!