Thai wildlife rescuer remains comatose months after cobra bite

resize_Cobra-1.webp

A Thai wildlife rescuer remains in a comatose state five months after being bitten by a king cobra. Nick Wildlife’s recent update reveals the extent of the challenges faced by Aun and his family.

A member of the Asoraphiphat rescue team, Jakrin Nilkamhaeng, was bitten by a king cobra in a vein, leading to severe complications. Despite five months passing since the incident, Jakrin’s condition has shown little improvement.

He is currently in a vegetative state, able to open his eyes but unresponsive to his surroundings. He has been moved back home, where his mother has left her job to provide constant care.

A Facebook page dedicated to wildlife updates, Nick Wildlife, has been sharing Jakrin’s progress. They explained that people frequently ask for updates on Aun’s condition. We try to provide them regularly, but sometimes posts are missed, leading to the misconception that there are no updates.

The severity of Jakrin’s condition is largely due to his heart stopping for over 30 minutes after the bite, causing significant brain damage, said the Nick Wildlife page.

“There is little improvement in his condition. Currently, Aun is at home, and his mother looks after him full-time. The prolonged period without a heartbeat has severely impacted his brain.”

The page administrator expressed the emotional toll of providing these updates, saying, Every time I answer questions about Aun, it brings back the painful memories of being present during those 30 minutes of resuscitation. It’s a difficult feeling to convey to those who weren’t there.

They also addressed the challenge of balancing frequent updates with the risk of appearing to seek attention. The administrator mentioned, If we post too often, people accuse us of seeking attention. If we post updates infrequently, some people don’t see them and complain. It’s a delicate balance.

Promoting safety

In response to the incident, the team has intensified their efforts to promote safety around snakes. They have initiated the SEP project to raise awareness of the dangers posed by snakes and to reduce the incidence of snake bites, the administrator said.

“What has happened motivates us to push for greater awareness of safety between humans and snakes. We’ve started the SEP project to highlight the dangers and reduce the risks of snake bites.”

The team’s dedication to raising awareness and preventing future incidents is a testament to their commitment, said the administrator.

“We don’t know how long we can keep this up, but we will do our best with the strength we have. Thank you.”

Jakrin’s situation remains critical, and his recovery journey is still ongoing. His story has touched many, sparking a wave of support and donations. The latest update emphasised the need for continued support and the importance of spreading awareness about the dangers of snake bites, reported Khaosod.

by Sarishti Arora
Picture courtesy of CNN official website

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-30

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

oh dear '   very sad for Aun and his family.   I hope they can find the strength to get through this tragic event.

There are snakes everywhere, even in Bangkok ... i've met a few snakes in my time.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

resize_Cobra-1.webp

A Thai wildlife rescuer remains in a comatose state five months after being bitten by a king cobra. Nick Wildlife’s recent update reveals the extent of the challenges faced by Aun and his family.

A member of the Asoraphiphat rescue team, Jakrin Nilkamhaeng, was bitten by a king cobra in a vein, leading to severe complications. Despite five months passing since the incident, Jakrin’s condition has shown little improvement.

He is currently in a vegetative state, able to open his eyes but unresponsive to his surroundings. He has been moved back home, where his mother has left her job to provide constant care.

A Facebook page dedicated to wildlife updates, Nick Wildlife, has been sharing Jakrin’s progress. They explained that people frequently ask for updates on Aun’s condition. We try to provide them regularly, but sometimes posts are missed, leading to the misconception that there are no updates.

The severity of Jakrin’s condition is largely due to his heart stopping for over 30 minutes after the bite, causing significant brain damage, said the Nick Wildlife page.

“There is little improvement in his condition. Currently, Aun is at home, and his mother looks after him full-time. The prolonged period without a heartbeat has severely impacted his brain.”

The page administrator expressed the emotional toll of providing these updates, saying, Every time I answer questions about Aun, it brings back the painful memories of being present during those 30 minutes of resuscitation. It’s a difficult feeling to convey to those who weren’t there.

They also addressed the challenge of balancing frequent updates with the risk of appearing to seek attention. The administrator mentioned, If we post too often, people accuse us of seeking attention. If we post updates infrequently, some people don’t see them and complain. It’s a delicate balance.

Promoting safety

In response to the incident, the team has intensified their efforts to promote safety around snakes. They have initiated the SEP project to raise awareness of the dangers posed by snakes and to reduce the incidence of snake bites, the administrator said.

“What has happened motivates us to push for greater awareness of safety between humans and snakes. We’ve started the SEP project to highlight the dangers and reduce the risks of snake bites.”

The team’s dedication to raising awareness and preventing future incidents is a testament to their commitment, said the administrator.

“We don’t know how long we can keep this up, but we will do our best with the strength we have. Thank you.”

Jakrin’s situation remains critical, and his recovery journey is still ongoing. His story has touched many, sparking a wave of support and donations. The latest update emphasised the need for continued support and the importance of spreading awareness about the dangers of snake bites, reported Khaosod.

by Sarishti Arora
Picture courtesy of CNN official website

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-30

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

If you can't get an antidote within 1 hr it's getting nasty. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bravefart said:

considering this unfortunate man is comatose your very weak attempt to be amusing is very immature and sadly just allows everyone to see you for what you are and that is an #@#@$&*  @*&#  $#%# , now toddle off and go play with one of your snakes.

Steven does that. Occasionally he has something to say.

Considering the amount of time I've spent in the jungle over the years and the number of snakes I've seen, surprised I haven't been bitten. 

• Like 1

Yessir, snake and Thailand synonymous!  I used to walk early AM (3-4) in our mooban in CM - until I literally ran into a 3-4 meter Burmese Python.  Around, he was as big as my upper thigh.  I had run into smaller snakes, cobra or some others that the guards said were dangerous too,

but the size of this one shocked my.  I ran to the guard house - 100 yd or so away and ran back so I could see where this big fella went and fortunately saw him go into the yard of a vacant home.  A guard (older man) from Phase II was called to help out this guard young (man) and he checked the vacant yard and saw the snake and chased it back out into the street.  When the old guy saw the size of the snake, he backed away so I had to help the young guy catch the snake.  WHen it would open its mouth to try and strike, I realized he could swallow my head easily.  But the young guy knew what he was doing and grabbed the snake and we put it into an empty rice bag.  He could hardly lift the snake to carry it off and said later that he took it to the mountains and released it.    Here in Bangkok on some runs I have run across a cobra, when the guard asked me the color, I said bronze - and he indicated that it was a boa or python so not to worry.  Whene he tried to catch it, I lifted off the ground about

5 feet and spread its HOOD!  Scared the guard a tad  but after an hour he did manage to kill it and said he sold it at the market!  At the US embassy they keep geese on the grounds which regularly scare up snakes.  The saying goes "in Thailand there are 50  different kinds of snakes,

47 are poisonous and the other 3 will squeeze you to death!".  I believe that except I think that there a lot more than 50  different kinds.  Always be aware no matter where no matter where you are and don't trust snakes even if you think you know them.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yessir, snake and Thailand synonymous!  I used to walk early AM (3-4) in our mooban in CM - until I literally ran into a 3-4 meter Burmese Python.  Around, he was as big as my upper thigh.  I had run into smaller snakes, cobra or some others that the guards said were dangerous too,

but the size of this one shocked my.  I ran to the guard house - 100 yd or so away and ran back so I could see where this big fella went and fortunately saw him go into the yard of a vacant home.  A guard (older man) from Phase II was called to help out this guard young (man) and he checked the vacant yard and saw the snake and chased it back out into the street.  When the old guy saw the size of the snake, he backed away so I had to help the young guy catch the snake.  WHen it would open its mouth to try and strike, I realized he could swallow my head easily.  But the young guy knew what he was doing and grabbed the snake and we put it into an empty rice bag.  He could hardly lift the snake to carry it off and said later that he took it to the mountains and released it.    Here in Bangkok on some runs I have run across a cobra, when the guard asked me the color, I said bronze - and he indicated that it was a boa or python so not to worry.  Whene he tried to catch it, I lifted off the ground about

5 feet and spread its HOOD!  Scared the guard a tad  but after an hour he did manage to kill it and said he sold it at the market!  At the US embassy they keep geese on the grounds which regularly scare up snakes.  The saying goes "in Thailand there are 50  different kinds of snakes,

47 are poisonous and the other 3 will squeeze you to death!".  I believe that except I think that there a lot more than 50  different kinds.  Always be aware no matter where no matter where you are and don't trust snakes even if you think you know them.

I’m originally from Northern Australia.   Taipans, King Browns and Death Adders are common.  Plus various spiders that cause death, box jellyfish, saltwater crocodiles, scorpions and blue ringed octopus.    If they don’t get you Cassowary and the odd cranky Big Red Kangaroo, wild pigs and wild water buffalo can really dent your day.  

So I’m pretty much snake aware and as Grandad said when I was a kid,  walk away slowly facing the animal.

Last with the rain bringing them out I  spied a rather large Cobra in the vacant block next to my place.  No way I was going near it to shoo it away.  They are quick and not to be trifled with.  

We also have volunteers in Australia to help capture snakes (and crocodiles) that pose a risk.  My hat goes off to them. 

53 minutes ago, Presnock said:

"There are at least 196 species and subspecies of snakes presently indigenous to Thailand and 59 species and subspecies would qualify as venomous."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

If you can't get an antidote within 1 hr it's getting nasty. 

Heparin a common blood thinner has been found to be a cheap antidote for cobra venom, report from Australia.

• Like 1

Scientists at the University of Sydney and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine have made a remarkable discovery: a commonly used blood thinner, heparin, can be repurposed as an inexpensive antidote for cobra venom.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, neverere said:

"There are at least 196 species and subspecies of snakes presently indigenous to Thailand and 59 species and subspecies would qualify as venomous."

Yes previously in the med unit of the US Embassy, they had wall boards covering one whole wall, amybe 15 feet, 6 feet high, and on that board,

wre pictures of snakes.  Many just said poisonous, unknown species!  At least 40-50 different photos.  Certainly made me a believer and when I played night golf, if the ball was in the rough I certainly did not go look for it as during the daytime playing and seeing snakes which the caddies would avoid and call the office to alert them where the snake was so they could come try to capture it.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

So was the hospital keeping him alive, after 30 minutes of no heartbeat surely you're clinically dead?

• Agree 1

King Cobras are I think the world's largest venomous snake and can inject huge amounts of venom, depending on circumstances.  It was enough to stop K. Jakrin's heart for 30 minutes which caused the brain damage and coma.

He was probably a volunteer, trying to relocate the animal from an urban area.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bravefart said:

considering this unfortunate man is comatose your very weak attempt to be amusing is very immature and sadly just allows everyone to see you for what you are and that is an #@#@$&*  @*&#  $#%# , now toddle off and go play with one of your snakes.

"considering this unfortunate man is comatose your very weak attempt to be amusing with your forum name is equally very immature and sadly just allows everyone to see you for what you are and that is an #@#@$&*  @*&#  $#%# , now toddle off and go play with one of your snakes".

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Sad but dude is a goner. Never gonna wake up normal. Vegetable for remainder of his existence. Mom should be able to do him, herself and everyone a favor and let him go. Euthanasia should be an option.

• Agree 1

As said above, the picture in the OP is a spitting cobra, not a King cobra 

anyway, spitting cobra are also very dangerous but how ? they spite in the eyes, so they don't inject venom in the skin, isn'it ? 

Euthanasia if family is ok, but brain without blood during 30 minutes, it's destroyed for ever 

Edited by Aforek
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So was the hospital keeping him alive, after 30 minutes of no heartbeat surely you're clinically dead?

They mentioned resuscitation, so presumably they were performing CPR for 30 minutes until they could get him proper medical care.  Possibly the CPR didn't work properly for whatever reason and he ended up brain damaged. 

Not sure why they think he's going to recover.  Perhaps he can breath unassisted even though there's nothing going on in conscious part of the brain?