What's the difference between a coffee plunger and drip coffee - and which is best ?

I enjoy a good coffee when i get up in the morning ....  

I am tired of my Maconna and the other instant coffees in the morning.   I have a coffee machine but the steamer stopped working so it's out of order.  

Has anyone ever tried a drip coffee and is that what this machine does ?     also,  what is a coffee plunger for ...  is it better than coffee machine coffee ?

which should I buy ....         I want easiest but tastes good .....   I like 50%Arabica + 50%Robusta coffee ... 

coffee.PNG.dd76c984ec429241dc090da47bbecbb3.PNG

image.png.42ccdb9878b3410f4b158749b600072a.png

Edited by steven100

40 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I've been using our French Press of late, for ease of use & clean up.  

That's the part I like also ....    the coffee machine I have made excellent tasting Latte for a while but it was the messing around to make it and the clean up after ... hence I went to instant.  I'll look at what you mentioned.   Thanks ...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I recommend a moka pot, this one is better than my other two traditional moka pots, just better design. Lot's of youtube videos available. Much better than french press, and i didn't rate drip coffee years ago

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.LEbjr

Screenshot_2024-07-30-16-06-37-785_com.lazada.android.jpg

Also a good choice for coffee, and we have the exact same type, again, stick with stainless steel.   We also have the aluminum Moka Pot, but you may notice a metallic taste.  Good pot & all, but we just prefer SS.   Ours came with a electric heating pad, for like 100 baht more.  So I thought, why not :cheesy:

Because it would take a few days to get warm, although I wasn't really surprised.  Do give the 'combo' offer a pass.  I literally put my hand on it, and it wasn't even uncomfortable.  Hopefully just a defective unit, and they're all not that bad.

When using a Moka Pot, I tend to put heated water in it, then to the hob to boil.  Saves the coffee grounds getting exposed to excess heat.  Not sure if it does anything beneficial, but is a bit faster.  Just need a towel to tighten the pieces together as it is near boiling when I add it, so the water reservoir does get instantly hot.  Too hot to handle.

If taking O&A with you, and little gas hob works very well.

image.png.7821e12b302dec1ff40e4aa4a82b9e74.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Also a good choice for coffee, and we have the exact same type, again, stick with stainless steel.   We also have the aluminum Moka Pot, but you may notice a metallic taste.  Good pot & all, but we just prefer SS.   Ours came with a electric heating pad, for like 100 baht more.  So I thought, why not :cheesy:

Because it would take a few days to get warm, although I wasn't really surprised.  Do give the 'combo' offer a pass.  I literally put my hand on it, and it wasn't even uncomfortable.  Hopefully just a defective unit, and they're all not that bad.

When using a Moka Pot, I tend to put heated water in it, then to the hob to boil.  Saves the coffee grounds getting exposed to excess heat.  Not sure if it does anything beneficial, but is a bit faster.  Just need a towel to tighten the pieces together as it is near boiling when I add it, so the water reservoir does get instantly hot.  Too hot to handle.

YouTubers also recommend boiling the water first then put in the mokapot, that's what i do. The key is the right coffee and the right grind, i have a cheap Lazada grinder, what works for me is 3x8sec grinds with shakes in between. Just put the pot on induction stove at 300watts

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unlike others here I much prefer the drip method.

Never had a problem with

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

the glass pitcher that never sits right on heating pad, wasn't silly priced to replace when broke.

Always sits perfect. (Electrolux brand)

I make three mugfuls of coffee in the morning. (9 - 6 on the water level.

One mug pre breakfast (emails and staff meeting)

One mug during breakfast and one post breakfast - catching up with the news.

Every time that I pour a mug of coffee, I reset the 'on' button to keep the coffee hot.

Coffee press coffee would be very cold by then. 2- 3 hours.

Also, no coffee dregs in the bottom of the mug with the drip method.

I use Sakoku coffee from Chiang Rai (Lazada).

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Never had a problem with

Every time that I pour a mug of coffee, I reset the 'on' button to keep the coffee hot.

I was too much of a CC at the time, many years past, for Electrolux, and explains a lot.  Now a big fan of Electrolux 👍

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We use to take our grinder with us :cheesy:  Not just grind and put in little baggies.  1 week old coffee won't kill us.  Had to get de-snobbed, and lower my nose a bit :coffee1:

Unwtitled.png

i agree, I'm not going to grind at 5am and wake all the neighbours up (downside of a cheap grinder), i usually do in the afternoon to last a few days

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

You make a good point .... if I have 3-4 cups of coffee from 6-9am  ....  the french press wouldn't suit as you say it's cold after the first cup,  whereas this machine will keep it hot and I just pour as needed ....      cleaning is easy, 

image.png.b46306a38814cea37739fccc7719fc63.png

image.png.45bb4c05fc4e3462ed7aba97943f3492.png

Drinking at least 4 - 5, cups of coffee an interesting topic for me 😁 👍

I'm using filter coffee as well also a French press. 

Both produce same good, strong quality coffee. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Drinking at least 4 - 5, cups of coffee an interesting topic for me 😁 👍

I'm using filter coffee as well also a French press. 

Both produce same good, strong quality coffee. 

when you say filter coffee you mean drip coffee  ?   and which is easiest to make and clean up after   ?   and you prefer ?

Edited by steven100

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

when you say filter coffee you mean drip coffee  ?   and which is easiest to make and clean up after   ?   and you prefer ?

No pressure in a drip coffee, the moka pot at least has some pressure of steam through the coffee. Years ago people on here used to bang on about cone filter coffee, tried it, it was awful, threw the filters away

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No pressure in a drip coffee, the moka pot at least has some pressure of steam through the coffee. Years ago people on here used to bang on about cone filter coffee, tried it, it was awful, threw the filters away

so you don't like the drip coffee ... ?    you prefer french press ...

I've tried a lot of coffee makers except Kuerig which I will NEVER purchase.

I like the $35.00 Hamilton Beach coffee maker. 12/15g ground coffee to your liking, 16oz water and it's fantastic. Can even drip it into a tall thermos.

Condo or house?

Your coffee depends where you live. 

I like plunger, I don't like the cleaning. 

In my condo I didn't care what I flushed down the drain. So, plunger.

In my house I do care a lot what I flush down the drains because pumping the tanks or clearing blocked pipes will be my responsibility. So, drip. And if you get a good drip machine (Braun) then you get good coffee. 

Edited by CecilM
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

You make a good point .... if I have 3-4 cups of coffee from 6-9am  ....  the french press wouldn't suit as you say it's cold after the first cup,  whereas this machine will keep it hot and I just pour as needed ....      cleaning is easy, 

image.png.b46306a38814cea37739fccc7719fc63.png

image.png.45bb4c05fc4e3462ed7aba97943f3492.png

I use a press to make three cups, pour into first cup and pour the remaining two cups into a thermos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Condo or house?

Your coffee depends where you live. 

I like plunger, I don't like the cleaning. 

In my condo I didn't care what I flushed down the drain. So, plunger.

In my house I do care a lot what I flush down the drains because pumping the tanks or clearing blocked pipes will be my responsibility. So, drip. And if you get a good drip machine (Braun) then you get good coffee. 

I'm in the Condo ,   so you prefer the french press for easy cleaning and tastes ok   ?

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Never had a problem with

I use Sakoku coffee from Chiang Rai (Lazada).

I tried them all.

But at the end I find a drip coffee tastes best. 

And the Electrolux machine is reliable.

I have to admit that it is a kind of philosophy which way is the best to have a good coffee in your mug. 

Depends also on the coffee beans itself. I prefer Vietnamese coffee.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Listen to the expert. This is a great channel with lots of interesting videos. And the guy is a former barista champion, so he knows what he is talking about. 

just watched the video and very interesting ....    he leans toward the french press for taste especially with the medium ground coffee which I would probably use.   I think I am going to buy the french press over the drip machine for 2 points. 

1.  preparation and cleaning is simple and easy.    2.  taste is not compromised with the french press with medium ground coffee.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I use the a 3 cups glass press follow up with a v shaped steel filter to get rid of fine dregs. The glass is now improved . Less breakable. Pour the first cup into a double walled mug to keep warm, pour the rest into a tyeso steel container. Problem solved. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Haven't looked lately, Daiso has a plastic Melitta -type cone holder plus the paper cones.

It would look something like this

image.jpeg.e39479deffb77ba24ff49002216643bd.jpeg

This method, even with the mediocre quality paper, gives a fairly clean drink.  If you run out of cones you may be able to rig one with a paper towel.

If you like sediment, French press or moka pot is the way to go.