What's behind the current THB strength?

20 hours ago, BuddyPish said:

Fed expected to cut next month 

21 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I believe this is a Fed rate issue. The Fed has indicated rates will fall, beginning September, markets have penciled in three rate cuts this year.

great copy cat comment off @chiang mai i thought you would be better than that. guess i was wrong

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

enjoys last bite of steak....stocks up on mama cups....sticky rice awaits...minus nam prik

I don't even like when other people eat nam prik - - their breath can overtake a car... 

• Haha 2

So we were told that there would be some more explaining about Thai tax in July.

I waited to exchange and/or send money from europe .

Nothing about the tax in july ! 

So now I get scr-wed twice , stronger baht and tax on it ?

Great !

Lucky I have 6 months to go under the 800K retirement hostage money.

But maybe the baht will go up even more.

• Confused 1

The AUD has gone from 24.5 baht to 23 in the last month, maybe it's time for a comeback by Adumbration.

One thing for sure about currency exchange rates. They fluctuate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

^ I read that here on the forum a while back. 

It made sence that they would elaborate about the tax for us expats (>180 days) tax residents.

So I waited to send money .

Maybe the baht will come down again after the 10 K scheme is in action.

Thai interest rates are low , US rates high.

Industry is in a bit of a slum here.

Certainly in the car industry and tourism is only 18 % .

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

.......As US interest rates increase this year....

Actually, US interest rates have remained steady (and somewhat high) so far this year and the expectation is the Fed will begin to lower rates next month.

Fairly normal for the value of a US dollar (compared to foreign currencies) to rise as the Fed raises interest rates and to react in the opposite direction as rates fall (and fairly normal that an increase/decrease will occur when just the expectation of Fed action reaches a certain level).  

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CMBob said:

Actually, US interest rates have remained steady (and somewhat high) so far this year and the expectation is the Fed will begin to lower rates next month.

Fairly normal for the value of a US dollar (compared to foreign currencies) to rise as US interest rise and to react in the opposite direction as rates fall (and fairly normal that an increase/decrease will occur when just the expectation of Fed action reaches a certain level).  

I initially wrote "increase" when I intended to say "fall", I'm not quite sure why I did that but it's now fixed..

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I never think it's about THB strength, and more about other currencies weakening.  Can only speak about the USD, and govt keeps printing money and accumulating more debt.   That certainly has to lower the value of the USD.

The Dollar Index reflects USD value and that confirms USD has been falling. The current weakening however is more about expectations of what will follow rather than what is happening at this moment. https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy

image.png.5136f61ca3c82c4ea380cc81514aba42.png

Edited by chiang mai

19 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

enjoys last bite of steak....stocks up on mama cups....sticky rice awaits...minus nam prik

You joke but there are many migrants who live here on 15k a month.

Just wait until the authorities here decide to raise the financial requirement to qualify for a long-term visa/extension like retirement or marriage.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wall St dropped 600 pts on Friday. There was a sell off the day before that & jittery for the entire week just ended. That certainly affected $ to B rate.

Edited by Dcheech
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, harryviking said:

I see the western currencies FALLING against the baht....

How did you acquire this clairvoyant skill-set? The value of the USD and thus the THB exchange rate is influenced by a range of factors, including the strength of the U.S. economy, inflation, trade balances, and geopolitical events, among others.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I believe this is a Fed rate issue. The Fed has indicated rates will fall, beginning September, markets have penciled in three rate cuts this year. That means USD value falls as the return on cash is less attractive and should mean that US equities will increase in value.

U.K. also has had a rate drop. 

• Like 1